997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Just another exhaust thread from ricer :)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 02:32 AM
tunedgoody is a glorious beacon of lighttunedgoody is a glorious beacon of lighttunedgoody is a glorious beacon of lighttunedgoody is a glorious beacon of lighttunedgoody is a glorious beacon of lighttunedgoody is a glorious beacon of light
Just another exhaust thread from ricer :)

Hi Guys,
Firstly I would like to apologize for my grammar. My english is kinda broken since it's not my first language.

I just wanna do some write up about exhaust experience that I've been swapping around.

Little bit of my back ground.
I've been in motor sport for 8 years. Back in my country I race in open street class(fully modify but car still need to contain air-condition and radio system)
the rule and game is a little different there in my country. And yeah I'm those guys who do nothing but hanging out at shop or track all day all night. Labor are cheap over there so we never really have to touch the tool just tell them what to do even fill up the tire or swap the wheels.

I'm actually JDM guy since I don't really have much money to involve to european car.
After I move to USA I had couple cars in the pass before I pick up 997s a little while ago.
bmw Z4 M roadster with remus full system , 350z with fully load NA bolt on that you can imagine about , 06 SIT some bolt on , Lotus Elise ETC.

Anyway I'm still young and loud car rice up is prefer.

I picked up '06 997s with GT3RS body kit and wing. I just installed PSS10 the day right after I bought the car. So nothing to say much about suspension because I don't really have time to live with stock.

Now get to the story of exhaust.
I bought the car that come with x51 header + 200cell cat + stock muffler.

Frist thought to me is this porsche is quite. In term of volume this is even less noisy than stock 350z but who knows it might be the good cabin of german made. It has good tone sound good in term of pitch.

As being a ricer I don't scare of the noise I went straight to purchase Muffler bypass and install with a expectation that it will be super sweat for me. My thought before have the bypass in stall is who ever complain about this bypass muffler should be the old people or poser who wash the car more than driving the car.

Guess what ??? Bang bomb bung bung bong bong bong..

OMFG how can some of any Porsche owner can live with this? I know there are couple people on forum using this set up but mannnn !! seriously??
My car set alarm to 6 cars in my garage in cold start. Sound to me like open header harley (which I actually have one) My S&S 107ci Bigdog Chopper can not even be louder than this muffler bypass.

Volume - I have to say 11 or 12 out of 10 this is louder than my 350z with one can. My 350z has header+test pipe and nothing resonate straight to the Greddy single can and it's super loud but I still be able to use in daily life.
I called my buddy and told him about this and he even said "This is the first time he heard me complain about something being too loud"
Tone - it always good when something WOT. it screams out but to be honest I can't tell if this is a Porsche. It lost character in anyway. It just sound like a race open header car which honestly sound pretty much the same in the track car with 6cylinders. It's Loud and has the high pitch. At 1500-3000rpm will shake da hell out of everything. Your interior will losing attached in a while if you keep driving for more than 10k mile. I hear a lot of "click click clack clack" noise from joint of interior pieces being vibrate during daily driving rpm.
Performance For sure with out tuning anything on ECU I feel lack of torque at low rpm. For high rpm my butt dyno feel only a little little different or not feeling it at all. To be honest I think my brain got lied by the noise of the open header kinda so I thought it get quicker. Well... from not being tune I don't expect much performance for bolt-on part in NA car that much anyway.

Since this is being too loud then I have to do something.

So I look up do a search search and search. I actually look for people who complain that the got "too loud exhaust" and I found that couple people complain about Borla being too loud to them. Hey man maybe not to me ,right?

I bought Borla muffler and bolt them right on. So now I have x51 header + 200cell cat + Borla Muffler. And yeah another OMFG...!!

For me that have been driving on a Muffler bypass set up for weeks is really feel like driving a civic at the first day after Borla installed.

A couple day after having this set up I meet up around with my car friends to get this compare since my ears has been hurt by the by-pass muffler for weeks. I have to listen around to refresh up my ears and I finally got my ears back to normal. Even I got back to normal ,I still feel this is a little too quite for me. Comparing with my friend's 370z with only cat back exhaust (has 2cats be for muffler) In term of volume for sure my car being less loud than 370z with cat back system. I actually do like the tone of Borla. It sounds deeper like a work out guy with with firm body. I can lie to myself that this is exotic car sound kinda thing but being honest it's far away from being sport car to me. Proly sound really close to STI with test pipe. No high pitch even at high rpm. At normal driving sound like driving stock BMW M car.

Oh yes I have my low torque back for normal driving life. I can take off from second gear with out having to rev up the engine much.

of course I'm not satisfy with this set up. I just ordered a test pipe (cat by pass pipe) not x style but cross over style. Now it is on its way.

I'll be back and give a detail about new set up after I got them on.

Hope this might be helpful may be a little bit for someone who being in a market of getting exhaust.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:09 PM
911 Molar is infamous around these parts
Man, you out of control dude!
My set up is soo sweet
Check my avatar
Later molar

Old 04-21-2012, 10:02 PM
tunedgoody is a glorious beacon of lighttunedgoody is a glorious beacon of lighttunedgoody is a glorious beacon of lighttunedgoody is a glorious beacon of lighttunedgoody is a glorious beacon of lighttunedgoody is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by 911 Molar
Man, you out of control dude!
My set up is soo sweet
Check my avatar
Later molar
I wish I have 997.2 tho.

I'll try to post VDO up if I have chance. Thanks for reading

Old 04-22-2012, 05:04 AM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
I'm....speechless.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:06 AM
chi4s is infamous around these parts
Wow....

Old 04-22-2012, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by PTParks
I'm....speechless.
What do you mean by that ?

Old 04-22-2012, 07:47 PM
JCGMS is infamous around these parts
Talking

Very entertaining.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by JCGMS
Very entertaining.
Thanks for reading. I'll take it as compliment