997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Car acted strange this morning. pls help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 05:01 AM
gellie is infamous around these parts
Car acted strange this morning. pls help

Upon cold start car idol was abit rough. After driving about 30 min I stoped at a light ,car's rpm;s went from 1000k to 2000k pretty violently back and forth. I tried to check the oil and got a message" oil can olny be checked while car is idoling" Anybody have any ideas. BTW i noticed my oil was bit low last night so i added a lille bit. Thanks

Old 04-20-2012, 05:16 AM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
A few things come to mind. One, gas quality. Did you recently fill up? The other is that it may be a bad ignition coil.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:20 AM
Yes fillled up last night at the station i've been going to for many years. I sthere any danger to drive the car in this condition? Also no CEL or other warning lights.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:25 AM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
I would have it picked up just to be safe.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:05 AM
PSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
My guess is the mass airflow sensor needs to be replaced.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:36 AM
911CSLover is infamous around these parts911CSLover is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by PSPorsche
My guess is the mass airflow sensor needs to be replaced.
I was thinking the same thing...

Is yours a daily driver? I drive my gal ~ once a month over the winter. When I brought her out of hibernation this March, upon ignition she had a very short rough idle (3 -5 secs) that resulted in a CEL. After inquiring with a Porsche specific mechanic he said that sitting can sometime cause a harmless issue between the MAF and the resultant throttle bottle positioning on ignition. Wonder if yours can be related in any way.

It worked itself out very quickly. For good measure I put in new fuel and it's been smooth sailing ever since.

Good luck.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:45 AM
Thanks, Shes my DD. I have a appt on monday to bring her in. I spoke with the tech, and he told me as long as no CEL come on its safe to drive. I'll keep you posted.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:50 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gellie
Thanks, Shes my DD. I have a appt on monday to bring her in. I spoke with the tech, and he told me as long as no CEL come on its safe to drive. I'll keep you posted.
No CEL is good news. Are you using an oiled air filter (K&N, BMC)?

Old 04-20-2012, 08:56 AM
not sure. Whatever the dealer usually installs.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:42 AM
PSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
You can try to clean your MAF with a MAF cleaner spray can from the auto parts store. You are not supposed to touch the platinum sensor wire. It might just be dirty, and a cleaning my resolve the issue.