997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

How to prep your center console for paint?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 03:30 PM
RS4-Brian is infamous around these partsRS4-Brian is infamous around these parts
How to prep your center console for paint?

OK, I've decided to either paint or carbon wrap my center console. Has anyone done the prep (or know how it was done) to get one ready for paint? Any advice is appreciated!

Old 04-23-2012, 03:44 PM
OKB
OKB is infamous around these parts
you need to sand it with 400 or 320 wet and prime it with plastic adhesion promoter.then a coat of primer. then sand it with 600 and paint it

Old 04-23-2012, 04:25 PM
RS4-Brian is infamous around these partsRS4-Brian is infamous around these parts
Thanks OKB. Will the initial sand take off that thin rubbery coating that's on there?

Old 04-23-2012, 05:24 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
Why not get one painted from Eric at www.bumperplugs.com. You get a painted one before you have to even remove yours. When you receive the painted one, just remove yours and send it in as a core exchange. Really easy and the finish and match is second to none.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:56 PM
I may end up going that route but I'm kinda looking forward to trying to do it myself. If it doesn't turn out I can always look to a pro to clean up my mess. Same with a carbon wrap...if I totally fubar it I can always get someone to take over or pick up a used one if I really jack it up.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:19 PM
OKB
OKB is infamous around these parts
you dont have to strip everything off, the primer will fill the roughness of the remaining texture coat. The part wont turn out good if the jobs not absolutely perfect. All the factors have to be right for a interior part. You are right there looking at it, up close, all the time.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:00 PM
Katera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really nice
Originally Posted by ///MJFDDS
Why not get one painted from Eric at www.bumperplugs.com. You get a painted one before you have to even remove yours. When you receive the painted one, just remove yours and send it in as a core exchange. Really easy and the finish and match is second to none.

Absolutely this!

I've spoken with Eric on the phone from this company. He is great. You will not be disappointed. Let them do the work.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:24 AM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
yeah, I second going the bumperplugs' route. you will be amazed and will love the look, instead of trial and error plus down time... (unless you like to drive with no console!)

Old 04-24-2012, 07:15 AM
wseikow is infamous around these parts
I was thinking of the same. Am I correct that the price for this about 580 at bumperplugs? Or was I looking at the wrong piece.

Thx

Old 04-24-2012, 07:26 AM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
I think you are right...$579 then you send your core back to him in the same box he sent you the new one...

Old 04-24-2012, 07:40 AM
wseikow is infamous around these parts
That's what I thought. To me it seems on the very high side cost wise.
I'm going to have mine dipped in a film that has a carbon fiber looking print.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:58 AM
the problem with carbon fiber film, is that, even the hi-quality, 3M product, looks like a vinyl sheet... specially with lots of contours and complicated shapes...

Old 04-24-2012, 08:17 AM
Boosted Josh is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JoelPirela
the problem with carbon fiber film, is that, even the hi-quality, 3M product, looks like a vinyl sheet... specially with lots of contours and complicated shapes...

I agree. It will look cheap. Particularly if you are talking about dipping it. It will look like the trim in a C6 corvette.

Although if you had it covered in that 3D textured vinyl by someone who knows what they are doing it might looks pretty good. There was a thread in the AMG section where a guy had a bunch of stuff done on his S class and I thought it looked good. But the shapes were not as complex and curved.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:27 AM
If you have it dipped it'll look very cheap like this:
Name:  carbon_dash_kit.jpg
Views: 1261
Size:  88.6 KB

covered in vinyl it might look like this:
Name:  Carbonfibervinyl15.jpg
Views: 1248
Size:  40.6 KB

I'd actually like to do my door sill plates in this carbon vinyl. I think it'd look good and give them some protection from scuffing.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:29 AM
My E92 M3 had that carbon vinyl on the dash as a factory option.

Like this:
Name:  0319011641a.jpg
Views: 1246
Size:  41.4 KB

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to prep your center console for paint?