997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Need your help - steps for disabiling the "spoiler failure" warning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 01:07 PM
Matt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud of
Need your help - steps for disabiling the "spoiler failure" warning

Hope you guys can help. I have recently installed a ducktail spoiler on my 997. This is a total replacement of the rear decklid. As such the computer now thinks I have a failure of the spoiler deployment feature and it throwing an error once I exceed 75.

I understand that this setting can be reprogrammed in the computer. My indie does not know how to do this but is more than will to figure it out at my expense. So in the attempt to save myself some $ my indie has agreed that if I can deliver the steps to him he will only charge the time it takes.

Does anyone have the steps to reprogram this that I could share with the indie?

Thanks much

Mat
t

Old 04-26-2012, 02:45 PM
808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !
Of course, this can only be done with PIWIS. I could have sworn there was a description of the steps for this on this forum or Rennlist. Try searching for "fixed spoiler".

Originally Posted by Matt(inMA);3527177[SIZE=2
Does anyone have the steps to reprogram this that I could share with the indie? [/SIZE]

Thanks much

Mat
t

Old 04-26-2012, 04:34 PM
gonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond repute
I tried searching too as this is one of my next mods. Which ducktail did you go with? I found one that looks really nice from EVS but it's near $2k. I'm thinking the Gretty Design is a good deal. Any pictures of your car with it mounted?

Old 04-26-2012, 05:52 PM
Scoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura about
Here you go... See this thread

Old 04-26-2012, 07:01 PM
Matt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud of
Scoper - just what I needed. Thanks so much!

Last edited by Matt(inMA); 05-03-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:43 PM
gonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond repute
That looks really good. What's the quality on the finish or did it require much work? I'm impressed with how nicely yours flows.

I was interested in this one from EVS but they want nearly $2K for the lid.

Last edited by gonz996; 04-26-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:50 PM
rag1998 is infamous around these parts
Nice touch, Both look great!

Old 04-26-2012, 08:53 PM
Getty seems the one to get. Nice lines and reasonably priced.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:54 PM
rag1998 is infamous around these parts
I might have to look into getting one of these, once I get a car - Sorry for hijacking your thread OP

Old 05-10-2012, 10:15 PM
sambone95 is infamous around these parts

I just wanted to share my recent experience pertaining to this topic. (Sorry for the long post)

I recently had a whale tail, fixed wing spoiler (fiberwerks – highly recommend) installed on my 06 Carrera S. After reading several threads (including the thread linked above), I called my local dealer, ordered part # 997 612 670 71 and scheduled an appointment to have the appropriate programming completed with the PIWIS. I missed my appointment (I travel often for work and my itineraries often change) and continued to drive my car for a few days. The third brake light did not work and I had to click through the spoiler error in the information display. The error would then disappear until I reached 75MPH. It would then reappear and would only go away once my speed dropped below 75MPH, at which point the information display error would disappear and the “!” light on the dash would remain lit until the car was restarted where the process would start over.

After a few more days, I was annoyed and decided to take a look at the harness myself. Because I did not supply the body shop with the new harness, they had simply reinstalled the original harness. I noticed there were two button like switches in the harness that would click/activate when pressure was applied. Curious, I taped the buttons down in the activated position, closed the lid and started the car. The third brake light was now functional and the initial error in the information display was no longer present. However, the error over 75MPH still occurred and the “!” light would still activate. Satisfied enough with the results, I installed jumpers around the switches. The whole process took about 15 minutes.

I continued to drive the car for several weeks. One day I noticed that the error was no longer present over 75MPH. It has been about 6 weeks and over 500 miles and the error has not reappeared.

Long story short, I did not install the new harness and did not have the PIWIS programing done and all is functioning as it should.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:17 PM
Scoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura about
Sambone,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I have to admit I didn't examine the stock cable too closely - especially since my body shop cut off the feeding wires to the spoiler deployment motors - I figured it was toast.

Any pics of your whale tail? or the harness with the jumpers wired in? Love to see it. I wonder if it's the same as I saw on another 997 at the indy shop I go to. Really nice classic look, all carbon fiber...!

Ron

Old 05-11-2012, 01:23 PM
MBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by sambone95
I just wanted to share my recent experience pertaining to this topic. (Sorry for the long post)

I recently had a whale tail, fixed wing spoiler (fiberwerks – highly recommend) installed on my 06 Carrera S. After reading several threads (including the thread linked above), I called my local dealer, ordered part # 997 612 670 71 and scheduled an appointment to have the appropriate programming completed with the PIWIS. I missed my appointment (I travel often for work and my itineraries often change) and continued to drive my car for a few days. The third brake light did not work and I had to click through the spoiler error in the information display. The error would then disappear until I reached 75MPH. It would then reappear and would only go away once my speed dropped below 75MPH, at which point the information display error would disappear and the “!” light on the dash would remain lit until the car was restarted where the process would start over.

After a few more days, I was annoyed and decided to take a look at the harness myself. Because I did not supply the body shop with the new harness, they had simply reinstalled the original harness. I noticed there were two button like switches in the harness that would click/activate when pressure was applied. Curious, I taped the buttons down in the activated position, closed the lid and started the car. The third brake light was now functional and the initial error in the information display was no longer present. However, the error over 75MPH still occurred and the “!” light would still activate. Satisfied enough with the results, I installed jumpers around the switches. The whole process took about 15 minutes.

I continued to drive the car for several weeks. One day I noticed that the error was no longer present over 75MPH. It has been about 6 weeks and over 500 miles and the error has not reappeared.

Long story short, I did not install the new harness and did not have the PIWIS programing done and all is functioning as it should.
Sambone95 can you post a picture of the switch, I too have the 75MPH issue, my third brake light works fine. I just live with the constant beeping on the highway. Can't justify spending $100 on a beep that does nothing as my spoiler is fixed.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:31 PM
sambone95 is infamous around these parts
Pictures of the Whaletail:

Attached Images      
Old 05-11-2012, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by sambone95
Pictures of the Whaletail:
BEAUTIFUL! Love it.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:12 PM
Taxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really nice
Rep points to (relatively) new member Sambone95 for offering a new solution to an old problem.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need your help - steps for disabiling the "spoiler failure" warning