997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Dodging hail? Experience ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 02:17 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
Dodging hail? Experience ?

So I've had my 09 C2S now for almost a year, and over that span, there have been 3 separate incidents of being caught outside when we had some hail. Once, driving it back from Maryland after I had bought it (got off an exit as soon as I could), another time in the last 2 months, and AGAIN 2 days ago. Crazy storms.
Each time the hail wasn't too big, probably the size of a raisin. This past one two days ago was the worst; I was on a bridge and the storm just kicked up instantly - can't stop on a bridge. So I got over the bridge and headed under the first overpass and stopped underneath.

I figure the clear coat protects you against some hail, up to a certain size. I noticed a few more chips on the hood that look like standard rock chips, but I really can't see any noticeable dents, creases, etc. Believe me, I've looked over every sq. inch.

Anybody have similar experience with hail and looking the car over afterwards ? Thanks...

Old 04-28-2012, 05:04 PM
last911 has a spectacular aura aboutlast911 has a spectacular aura about
I see Paintless Dent Removal in your future. Stop by a shop and take a look at the lighting and procedure they use to identify dents. Living in the Midwest I can tell you that once every 10 years we will get golf ball (or bigger) hail. When that hits, you won't have any trouble seeing the dents, but, you will be in a long line of folks at the high end body shops that will be booked for months.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:06 PM
griffinto is infamous around these parts
Ugh....Hail! Your right living in the midwest can bring some crazy large hail. We had baseball size hail this evening in St Louis. I check the weather report and radar before I head out just in case. If bad weather is in the area we take my wife's car.

http://wentzville.patch.com/articles...int-louis-area

Last edited by griffinto; 04-28-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:58 PM
spyerx is a jewel in the roughspyerx is a jewel in the roughspyerx is a jewel in the rough
My paintless dent guy heads to the midwest every now and again after a big storm. He has a buddy there. He can make a months pay in a week. And they need the hands.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:28 PM
ELUSIVE is infamous around these partsELUSIVE is infamous around these parts
Keep a thick sheet or blanket in the car. I've heard this can prevent hail damage for some sizes of hail.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:00 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
Typically the top surfaces will be the ones that are damaged. Sighting at low angles is usually best along with a clean surface. Fortunately I've dodged the misfortune of hail damage in the Cincinnati area.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:36 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
If it's your only car there's nothing you can do about it but pay attention. Weather forecasts are extremely accurate anymore and will let you know when storms are likely to strike. If it's your "toy" or secondary driver, keep it in the garage on days where rain/storms are forecast.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:06 AM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
So far, no dents on my car...I think I've been lucky in that the hail has been smaller size, which really isn't any worse than rock chips. I've been online and seen pics of the damage that large hail can cause. Nothing much you can do about it when you get caught in the storm.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:47 AM
b2sc is infamous around these parts
I had gotten caught in a hail storm in my 997 last year driving home from work on the interstate during stop/go traffic. This was a week after my 550i got beat up pretty good by a freak hail storm in my driveway so I was already nervous. (I had a thick cover on the BMW but the hail was fist sized (!!) and left quite a few dents on the top surfaces).

Seeing and hearing the first few stones hit my Pcar, I was 150 yards from on overpass I could take shelter under. In stop/go traffic, that was the longest 1 minute I can recall toget there. All was good in the end as these stones were only dime sized and left no marks on the car.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:16 AM
ScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really nice
I agree that you have to have a bodyshop look at it to see if there is any damage. My truck got caught out in baseball sized hail and I thought I saw all of the damage, but the bodyshop found even more than I could see. After they showed me the more hidden hits, I could see that you need a trained pro with the proper equipment to locate the slightest of damage. My truck looks like a golf ball with so many hits - I can't imagine my P-car getting caught out in something like that.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:50 PM
stevefrommn has a spectacular aura aboutstevefrommn has a spectacular aura aboutstevefrommn has a spectacular aura about
In 2000 my 996 was one year old. I got caught in a hail storm. 24 dents all over the car I was sick. Took it to Dent Kraft Plus here in MN. Don did a perfect job taking dents out without any body work or paint work. Just traded it in and it still looked like new. If the paint is not broken never do body work find the best paintless dent removal guy.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:41 PM
another look-over today - looks fine - I think that was the case - penny-sized hail isn't enough to do any more damage than a few chips...luckily.