997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

My new 997 S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 10:46 AM
Former Vendor
One@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud of
Good looking 997 S with a really nice paintjob!

Old 05-02-2012, 10:51 AM
rag1998 is infamous around these parts
My enjoyable moments and happiness over the new purchase all lasted only for a couple days.

Dropped my car off for a clear-wrap install yesterday at a very reputable shop in town who are used exclusively by Porsche Dealership. Got a call about an hr later saying that the clear-coat on the paint peeled off while they were installing the clear-wrap!!! YEAH you heard that right the clear on the paint peeled off with the wrap while they were centering the wrap. I was clueless, speechless and hurried over to the shop to find this staring at me:

Now, the installer says they never had this happen in 10 years of their business and thought it might not be factory paint. I disagreed with that as I bought the car from the first owner who maintained it immaculately and swear-ed that it has never been painted, I totally believe him and didn't see any traces of re-painting myself. Took it to the dealer right away, sadly being out of warranty I know won't help. Service manager was in shock too and said it is the first time he has seen a Porsche with this issue. He was courteous in helping me and sent me over to their body shop. Body shop checked the paint with a mil gauge and it was within factory specs, which I know is hard to replicate by a human since robot paint these cars, so it is factory paint.

Took the written estimate which came out to 850$, which included sanding and repainting the fender and blending in the hood! Fair price I think, so took it over to the dealer again, dropped off the estimate and had them take couple cell phone pics to send over to PCNA and see if they are willing to do anything..

That's where I am at for the moment, hoping to hear back from them soon! I am still speechless and having hard time believing what happened within a few days of ownership. Sad thing is I was exploring extended warranties just the day before and got few quotes.

Last edited by rag1998; 05-02-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:54 AM
Former Vendor
One@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud of
This certainly is something not seen on P-Cars at all! Good thing it didn't go over the hood too.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:00 AM
RickB is infamous around these parts
First, I wanted to say congratulations on the car! Sweet color. It's unfortunate about the clear coat issue. Never seen or heard of that happening before with a factory paint job. The good news is that it can be fixed. Hang in there. You still have yourself a great car!

Old 05-02-2012, 12:50 PM
kkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nice
doesn't the wrapper have some liability here? also liability insurance for situations such as... this? sorry to hear

Old 05-02-2012, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by kkswow12
doesn't the wrapper have some liability here? also liability insurance for situations such as... this? sorry to hear

They claim its not their fault and the service manager at Porsche dealership agrees that the paint should be tougher than this and should have no problems with clear wraps Not worried about insurance, I would hate going that route as it will most likely go on record and thwart resale, and for 850$ with a 500$ deductible its not worth it. Frankly, 900$ is not that bad, I would drop doing the clear bra and have it fixed. But I am worried that resale will be affected due to this issue.

Though I don't have warranty, I am hoping that PCNA will step up look into why this happened, and if its a factory issue - take care of their 100K product and provide some kinda warranty on the paint. I doubt they will do anything about it, but hey that's what I am expecting, if they don't do anything, well I will get it fixed and rethink my Porsche purchase!

Old 05-02-2012, 01:59 PM
kkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nice
resale? why would you EVER want to sell that beauty, especially after you get the paint 'just so', unless it is to get a better/newer p, whatever you end up doing, all the best, a rare beauty, i think

Old 05-03-2012, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by kkswow12
resale? why would you EVER want to sell that beauty, especially after you get the paint 'just so', unless it is to get a better/newer p, whatever you end up doing, all the best, a rare beauty, i think
Well, I like trying out different cars and owning them, which is why I keep changing cars every 18 months/so. Not a big fan of being stuck on a brand/model, owned a Corvette and a Lotus before both great cars in their own respects but that didn't stop me from wanting to try out a Porsche 911. Have an ambitious list that I would like to fulfill in the near future and the 911 has to go when its time for the next ride, which could be another Porsche/ a different brand.

Last edited by rag1998; 05-03-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:08 AM
of course,

me too, in fact just sold my cab yesterday...on to the...targa! aus italien...check out the deals on www.autoscout24.de in italy, compared to the rest of europe, the way to go

Old 05-04-2012, 06:05 AM
amge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rag1998
YEAH you heard that right the clear on the paint peeled off with the wrap while they were centering the wrap.
What kind of wrap were they using? Not all wraps are the same, some have much more aggressive adhesive, it appears to be the case here... I peeled off our 3M wrap after six years on our van and it "mostly" came off, leaving behind a residue, and the film had yellowed. When I called 3M about it, they said it was only guaranteed for three years. But after I cleaned off the residue (lots of elbow grease and goo-gone) the bumper looked brand-new. Having said that, I have it on the 911, I would not live without the paint protection film for any of my cars.

Last edited by amge63; 05-04-2012 at 06:09 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:17 AM
Originally Posted by amge63
What kind of wrap were they using? Not all wraps are the same, some have much more aggressive adhesive, it appears to be the case here... I peeled off our 3M wrap after six years on our van and it "mostly" came off, leaving behind a residue, and the film had yellowed. When I called 3M about it, they said it was only guaranteed for three years. But after I cleaned off the residue (lots of elbow grease and goo-gone) the bumper looked brand-new. Having said that, I have it on the 911, I would not live without the paint protection film for any of my cars.
Venture-shield - 3M product

Old 05-04-2012, 07:46 AM
krysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant future
that's quite the roller coaster of emotions. From the high of the purchase to the low of the first problem.

From now on nothing but highs....

btw, love the wheels, great combo.

Don't sweat it.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the motivation krysFly, I haven't posted about the incredible lows and very few highs I went through in the last 4 months yet, combine those and you will have a hulkcoaster

Anyway, heard back from the dealer today that I am on my own, wasn't really expecting them to fix it, but was at-least hoping for a diagnosis of what caused it. Oh well, I will see if I can get it fixed/just start enjoying it the way it is!!

Still thinking of an extended warranty!

Old 05-10-2012, 05:40 PM
socialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to all
wow good luck with repaint...and let us know what warranty you decide to go with -- beautiful car regardless! enjoy

Old 05-10-2012, 06:25 PM
Fred2 is infamous around these parts
Did you look into getting the clear sprayed, without re-spraying the color?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My new 997 S