997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

worth buying a high mileage 997?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 06:19 PM
Tarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by utkinpol
my opinion is that ANY M97/M96 engine based car is pretty much a time bomb. it is designed to explode and it is not a question IF - it is a question WHEN.
so getting a high milage car is increasing your chances unless you will invest $6K-$15K to split engine case open and re-haul motor replacing rods, bolts, IMS bearing, etc.

it is worse on 06+ cars where IMS bearing cannot be extracted out without splitting the case. on pre-06 cars with old IMS bearing design you can go to a good shop and put in LN Engineering retrofit and keep doing it every 2-3 years ($1500 job) should give you some peace of mind.

with all that in mind - IMHO best (and only) good buy now is any 09+ car with 9a1 DFI motor. ditch those M97/M96 things if you can. they are fun to drive and good cars but engine is pretty much sh$t.

PS. worst of that is a total unpredictability of this issue. some cars put on almost close 100k miles on M96 engine in racing conditions, others grenade after merely 20k miles. like i said - a time bomb. makes me totally paranoid every time i get car to a track, i absolutely hate it, it takes out most of fun from driving it.

hilar ious VOTE MOST RIDICULOUS POST ON 6SPEED, couldn't help but revive this when i read the ignorance & negativity

Old 10-15-2012, 09:58 AM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tarek307
hilar ious VOTE MOST RIDICULOUS POST ON 6SPEED, couldn't help but revive this when i read the ignorance & negativity
Until it happens to you!!! There are certain thing you expect from a car. An engine that is predictable is certainly one of them . Porsche seems to consider some of the major dollar items that fail " consumables" across their product line. Water pumps that - in other brands - last the life of the car just don't for instance. Glueing water pipes instead of welding is another one. Problem is, most of these things manifest themselves after some miles and the unexpecting owner gets hammered with unexpected maintenance cost that can ruin your day! 300 HP from a 3+ liter engine is nothing special nowadays, so I would expect FROM ANY MANUFACTURER a faultless engine / gear box ensemble that lasts... and lasts.. Just my 2 cents. But to the original question, I too dumped my C2 996 in favor of -basically - an identical car with a different engine (and some more *****). I hate having that nagging feeling especially after I tried to trade up for a nice Maser and I got told by a real knowledgeable shop that my engine " was on borrowed time" and that they were not interested in a trade. Sometimes you have to listen to the experts. I sold my car 1 week later at a serious discount. It became a liability... Just my personal opinion. I like Porsche, that's why I bought another one. But it has to be a FUN car too.

Last edited by hroussard; 10-15-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:10 AM
gonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond repute
I had a 996 that fell into that category. It soured me to the extent I went to an M3 and had that car fro 5 years, supercharged it, and it was solid. I loved the 997 since it came out during my first year of ownership with the M3. So fat it's been a great daily driver and uber fun to drive.