997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

The Official: Little things that work to make your 911 better!....Thread.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 09:13 AM
Katera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really nice
The Official: Little things that work to make your 911 better!....Thread.

I will kick it off. I hate those airbag stickers on our visors. They are even more ugly on those of us with Cabby's. I was going to try and remove them but did not want to damage the visor. Somewhere on the boards I stumbled over these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-Sun-...10559961169170

For the record I don't have any stock in this stuff other then to say I bought them, installed them <very easy> and now several months later they still look perfect. At first it seemed a little cheesy to cover up the decals, but the way these things are made <very thin> they actually show the texture of the visor through the cover up making them virtually invisible. That and they are CHEAP!

I look forward to seeing other tips to make our cars better without spending big bucks.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:49 AM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
be careful before you decide to remove those stickers,,, I did on another car once (never again), think they are welded on!

Old 05-02-2012, 10:17 AM
b2sc is infamous around these parts
^^^ Very cool. And available in all factory interior colors as long as it's black...

Edit: Much to my suprise, I realized on my way home this evening that even though my interior is stone grey, the mirror covers are black.

Last edited by b2sc; 05-02-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:00 AM
amge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond repute
Okay, maybe some of you (maybe all of you) have all done this already. But I just discovered there were a lot of leaves and gum wrappers and pebbles accumulated inside the grill in the bumper under the headlights. I was pretty proud of myself for vacuuming it all out this past weekend. It probably helped the radiators a little bit. I can't believe I hadn't noticed that until now.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:22 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Katera
I will kick it off. I hate those airbag stickers on our visors. They are even more ugly on those of us with Cabby's. I was going to try and remove them but did not want to damage the visor. Somewhere on the boards I stumbled over these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-Sun-visor-airbag-COVER-UP-Decals-911-997-996-986-Boxster-S-Cayman-/130688867046?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DS IC.NPJS%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUA%26otn%3D5%26pmod%3D13 0625771347%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8133910559961169170

For the record I don't have any stock in this stuff other then to say I bought them, installed them <very easy> and now several months later they still look perfect. At first it seemed a little cheesy to cover up the decals, but the way these things are made <very thin> they actually show the texture of the visor through the cover up making them virtually invisible. That and they are CHEAP!

I look forward to seeing other tips to make our cars better without spending big bucks.
Don't cover up one decal with another. If you'll search there's a detailed DIY for removing the stickers. I've done it and it's not that difficult.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:48 AM
Flying Cat is infamous around these partsFlying Cat is infamous around these parts
First mini-mod I did was to change yellow side markers to clear markers.

The next mod was more expensive, but well worth it! I installed the Dension 500 unit, so I can listen to music from my iPod and control it using the factory radio and steering wheel controls.

Last edited by Flying Cat; 05-02-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:57 AM
amge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Don't cover up one decal with another. If you'll search there's a detailed DIY for removing the stickers. I've done it and it's not that difficult.
Here is what I found: From 2005 thread in the 996 forum:

Originally Posted by mal28
After a year of procrastinating, I finally removed the sun visor air bag warning sticker, much easier tha I thought it would be!

1) unhook inside of visor (near mirror)

2) gently twist and pull the visor, it slides off ouside bracket (no need to remove brackets)

3) soak a paper towel with rubbing alcohol. place over sticker and let sit for 5-10 minutes

4) sticker then peels off

5) I then applied gray shoe polish (I have graphite interior) and the former air bag sticker area matches the rest of the visor

6) slide visor back on.
There were no other replies, so I am not sure if this works. But I'm willing to try it. IMO, I thought $17.00 was a bit too much for a set of die-cut black decals.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:10 PM
Katera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really nice
lol @ the leaves vacuuming, I did the same thing. I had all sorts of things in there!

As for the decals, well they work great. I'm not saying anything other then they are indistinguishable now from the surrounding visor. It really is a quick and cheap solution if you don't want to take the chance that the AB decal will only come half off or damage the visor while trying to remove it. As for the price, it was like $18 shipped I think and he gives you 5 of them...extras just in case something goes wrong which it won't.

One other thing, if you have a 2010 or older car, make sure you check your coolant level cap. My over flow tank was low and when I looked closely you could see the pink residue in the top of the tank from where it had leaked out. When I took it to the dealer they already knew that the cap was recalled. Replaced it and no more leaky leaky.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:17 AM
CMXCVII has a spectacular aura aboutCMXCVII has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Katera
One other thing, if you have a 2010 or older car, make sure you check your coolant level cap. My over flow tank was low and when I looked closely you could see the pink residue in the top of the tank from where it had leaked out. When I took it to the dealer they already knew that the cap was recalled. Replaced it and no more leaky leaky.
+1 For this!!

Just had my annual tech inspection performed and they replaced the cap on mine as it was leaking.

Now to go after those stickers ....