997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Trying to pull the trigger - 997S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 10:04 AM
Scoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by a4ep
That is what I plan on as well, find the car, negotiate the price then run the PPI.

I have been trying to prescreen the cars via CarFax. For instance there is a very nice/clean car up in Wisconsin that I am interested in but then on the carfax it shows:

2 owners both for 2+ years - This is fine
No accidents - This is great!
Service history - constant service records of the rear wing/spoiler being replaced/repaired (pops up every 10k miles or so) and the computer module being repaire/replaced, removal of the engine and transmission (RMS I assume)

So while the car looks great, is from a Porsche dealer and while priced on the high end it would be a consideration, the service history steers me away, especially at that higher price.
I'd steer clear of that car as well. CarFax is already spotty as it is - if something shows up on it that is a major item (like needing the PCM repaired multiple times) you know that wasn't a simple "fix it." I wouldn't want to inherit that headache!

Good luck with your search!

Old 05-07-2012, 10:54 AM
a4ep is infamous around these parts
Argh! Found a great 2009 C4 - Blue/Tan at a dealer and couldn't get them to return my call last week. Finally got a hold of someone at the dealer and the car was sold in 2hrs once it hit the dealer at the start of last week.
Car was priced at $57k, would have been a steal for anyone!

Old 05-07-2012, 11:05 AM
Scoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura about
Agh, hate when that happens. When I was searching, local dealer had an 07 Blk/Blk C2S for a great price - already sold when I showed up to look at it. What a bummer.

Keep looking!

Old 05-07-2012, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by Scoper
I'd steer clear of that car as well. CarFax is already spotty as it is - if something shows up on it that is a major item (like needing the PCM repaired multiple times) you know that wasn't a simple "fix it." I wouldn't want to inherit that headache!

Good luck with your search!
You are right, I may call the servicing dealer but deep down I konw this one is a lemon.

Here is the CarFax report:

Attached Images   
Old 05-07-2012, 11:31 AM
blazinginder is infamous around these parts
Argh! Found a great 2009 C4 - Blue/Tan at a dealer and couldn't get them to return my call last week. Finally got a hold of someone at the dealer and the car was sold in 2hrs once it hit the dealer at the start of last week.
Car was priced at $57k, would have been a steal for anyone!
Did this C4 happen be a midnight blue/beige with 29k miles, wood trim pkg, std 18" wheels, sport chrono, power seats etc...if so, it's a good thing you passed on it!

Old 05-07-2012, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by blazinginder
Did this C4 happen be a midnight blue/beige with 29k miles, wood trim pkg, std 18" wheels, sport chrono, power seats etc...if so, it's a good thing you passed on it!
Nope. It was just a 997.2C4, not an "S" like yours. Also, no wood package. Don't tell me you got yours for under $60k! If so then I may have to restart my search for an 2009 C2S/C4S.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:25 PM
Nope. It was just a 997.2C4, not an "S" like yours. Also, no wood package. Don't tell me you got yours for under $60k! If so then I may have to restart my search for an 2009 C2S/C4S.

Haha nope wasn't referring to mine...but when I was in the market I can across a 09 C4 blue/beige that I eventually found out through a PPI had about $6-7k worth of work/maintenance needed and hadn't been properly serviced. The guy (private party) had agreed to sell for $62 (prior to PPI) and then got desperate and said $50k, and I passed on it.

The car was then traded into a dealer here in NJ who then asked $57/58k for it and it still sat for a month or so before being sold at dealer auction to another Porsche dealer in Colorado who turned around and listed it for $75k at which point I stopped keeping tabs on it in my daily search routine lol

Old 05-09-2012, 10:59 AM
So I found a candidate I am thinking of approaching, I inquired about this car with the dealer previously but just got the carfax report. Before I start talking further should i be concerned with this carfax? It shows a maintenance history of electrical problems starting when the car was new and moving on to around 25k miles. But then for the next 10k miles there are no records. Advice on if this is a pass or bid? Did the 2007 997C4S have electrical issues?

Attached Images    
Old 05-09-2012, 12:26 PM
^ I'd be more concerned with the accident history than the electrical checks that were done. And also depends on what kind of deal you're getting on this car

Old 05-09-2012, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by blazinginder
^ I'd be more concerned with the accident history than the electrical checks that were done. And also depends on what kind of deal you're getting on this car
The accident does not bother me so much. I would love a virgin car but in all honesty it claims it is just a surface accident and I would think a good PPI would discover if that was false and if there are any lingering effects.

My concern is electrical issues outside of warranty as those can add up in cost. I keep coming back to this car, this is the first one I inquired about and I threw out a lowball offer and they simply said there is no need to even talk anymore. Now seeing the recent auction prices I am tempted to go back and make a real offer.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:32 PM
tiyyara is infamous around these parts
People do not buy a 911 to keep it for a couple of months and use it as a "vehicle"
Most people buy a 911 because they are enthusiasts, it is part of a dream/wish.
Based on that, any small pimple, will feel like a major zit. (like a teenage girl going to the prom)
So in my opinion, when in doubt, pass!

Old 05-09-2012, 02:37 PM
Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !
Personally, I'd pass. Damage history, at least 3 previous owners... all who reported electrical issues, and this thing has been footballed by a few dealers. Plenty of good vehicles out there to choose from... let someone else gambling w/ this one...

Old 05-09-2012, 06:33 PM
Fred2 is infamous around these parts
Tough time of year to be picky, as spring is sports car buying season.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:51 PM
^ agreed, seems like these cars are at their peak prices of the hear right now

Old 05-09-2012, 09:31 PM
Katera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really nice
Pass

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Trying to pull the trigger - 997S