997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

not one manual 911 at local dealership

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 07:06 AM
amge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dadio
Love the stickers. Where can I get some ? (link in the other post does not show your sticker )
Sorry, I didn't want to appear like I was selling them. I found their sticker better looking than the Car & Driver Save the Manual stickers. Same message either way.

Here is the link:

http://gearheadshirts.com/products/1...sticker-2-pack

Two for $5.00. I love the Stig Family Stickers too. But not enough to put them on my van.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:03 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vrnkc
Does the shortage of manual transmission 997s mean that
those with manual trans will hold their prices better?
Not necessary, most people don't know that the MB SLK (except AMG models) came with manual transmission as standard, automatic is a $2,500 option but more than 90% came to the states as autos because most people prefer automatics. With that said, it didn't held their prices better but it does sell faster for those who wanted one. I see the same results for the 997 and 991.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:30 AM
PaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to behold
Sadly, we are approaching an end of an era. With all the emphasis on track times and shaving milliseconds off laps, all manufacturers are turning to DCTs. While I prefer the traditional manual because I like the driver involvement, you cannot question the fact that DCTs are more efficient. I bet within 5 years, there will be ZERO traditional manual cars in the exotic fleet. To be clear, all the higher end cars of each manufacturer will have DCTs (All Porsche GT Models, and next gen ZR1/ZO6 will be next to transition)

Old 05-07-2012, 11:57 AM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ynot
Not necessary, most people don't know that the MB SLK (except AMG models) came with manual transmission as standard, automatic is a $2,500 option but more than 90% came to the states as autos because most people prefer automatics. With that said, it didn't held their prices better but it does sell faster for those who wanted one. I see the same results for the 997 and 991.
One article I read which was based on Porsche's own sales data, stated that 85% of the Porsche 911's sold in the USA are manuals. (This was dated prior to the new 991's introduction.) In Europe it's almost the opposite. As the SLK sells to a completely different customer type, I would agree that most, if not all, of those buyers want automatics. Most US 911 buyers, according to Porsche , want a manual transmission. While the higher profit margin PDK cars would, I'm sure, be Porsche managements preference for their USA customers time will tell if in the long run their US customer base will agree.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:06 PM
terrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by vrnkc
Does the shortage of manual transmission 997s mean that
those with manual trans will hold their prices better?
I believe "yes". I sold my 2010 6 speed 997S coupe to a dealer out right. They paid me more money than cars with PDK, because he said he couldn't find used 6-speed cars to buy and he has buyers wanting them.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:27 PM
PaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to behold
... Most US 911 buyers, according to Porsche , want a manual transmission. While the higher profit margin PDK cars would, I'm sure, be Porsche managements preference for their USA customers time will tell if in the long run their US customer base will agree.
Really? Everytime I walk into a Porsche dealership, 99% of all the new models are PDK cars. I would think that this would indicate that the data suggest that people in the US prefer the PDK.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:25 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
One article I read which was based on Porsche's own sales data, stated that 85% of the Porsche 911's sold in the USA are manuals. (This was dated prior to the new 991's introduction.) In Europe it's almost the opposite. As the SLK sells to a completely different customer type, I would agree that most, if not all, of those buyers want automatics. Most US 911 buyers, according to Porsche , want a manual transmission. While the higher profit margin PDK cars would, I'm sure, be Porsche managements preference for their USA customers time will tell if in the long run their US customer base will agree.
I agree, I see more manuals on the 997 and previous models. The 991 is probably the opposite, 15% or less manuals, you can tell which type of buyers the new 991 targets.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:28 PM
amge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PaulChristian
Really? Everytime I walk into a Porsche dealership, 99% of all the new models are PDK cars. I would think that this would indicate that the data suggest that people in the US prefer the PDK.
My guess - like all manufacturers, Porsche is trying to sell more. So having an automatic would allow them to appeal to more people/customers. The manual-shift customer base is firmly established. But we are all getting older and new drivers aren't learning it as much.

Case in point - Ferrari's top customers in China are women, it wasn't until they made paddle shifters that they started selling their "pretty" cars to the rich ladies in China. That is a customer base they would never have if they are still shifting manually.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:36 PM
tqevo is infamous around these parts
I test drove the new 911 manual and PDK at Porsche North Scottsdale last weekend and I can honestly see the appeal of PDK. The sales rep told me out of all of their sales thus far, they have only had 1 order for a 7 speed manual.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:24 PM
mseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Ynot
I agree, I see more manuals on the 997 and previous models. The 991 is probably the opposite, 15% or less manuals, you can tell which type of buyers the new 991 targets.
It seems to me the big change occurred with the introduction of 997.2 and PDK. Thru the production of 997.1, manuals were more common, probably because the Tiptronic was lousy.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by mseligson
It seems to me the big change occurred with the introduction of 997.2 and PDK. Thru the production of 997.1, manuals were more common, probably because the Tiptronic was lousy.
Very true, I've noticed this as well.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:58 PM
Sciloh is a jewel in the roughSciloh is a jewel in the roughSciloh is a jewel in the rough
a sign of automobile technological advancement i guess....

Old 05-08-2012, 07:47 AM
RickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Sciloh
a sign of automobile technological advancement i guess....
Next thing you know they'll be using automatics in F1!

Old 05-08-2012, 09:03 AM
Fred2 is infamous around these parts
Long time M/T driver here. I picked up a used 997 to "try out" the pdk It is the faster and easier way around the track, and no worries about a botched downshift.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:00 AM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PaulChristian
As noted in my post the article pre dates the introduction of the 991. It was however based on actual North American sales figures of Porsche 911'$ sold in prior years. It spoke directly to both US and Canadian sales figures but I only remebered the US results. Not sure how visiting the dealership would compare to the figures that were used in the article but as noted by another poster, the majority of the earliest cars to hit dealer showrooms appear to be PDK cars.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: not one manual 911 at local dealership