997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

not one manual 911 at local dealership

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 11:13 AM
hakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the rough
As someone who had a manual transmission car from 15 to 39 I always thought that it was manly thing to own a car with a manual transmission plus if people wanted to drive it they most likely wouldn't be able to drive it was a bonus, but at 39 I was rear ended and have life long shoulder pain and welcome pdk transmissions and similar transmissions because driving manual transmission cars puts too much strain on my shoulder. My surgeon says that he is pretty sure he can fix me if I do another surgery, but I don't want to do another fusion surgery and if it doesn't work thats a lot of money wasted.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:27 PM
Mark Harris is infamous around these parts
I'm as big of fan of 3 pedal cars as the next guy. Love driving my 993 6 speed. But after putting a PDK in Sport mode and flooring it I was sold and traded my 997.1 for a PDK .2 and couldn't be happier.

Last edited by Mark Harris; 05-13-2012 at 06:35 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:40 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jordanpryce
We're the last of the breed. Drivers under the age of 30 might as well cut their right hand and left foot off.
But what would they use to text while driving?

Why has this thread become the 40th PDK vs manual transmission thread?

Old 05-08-2012, 08:37 PM
Fred2 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
But what would they use to text while driving?

Why has this thread become the 40th PDK vs manual transmission thread?
Good point, as far as the new 991 types, I was under the impression that the factory first released the PDK cars.
Therefore
Those are the only new ones that you would see at a dealership.
The 7 speed ones are just starting to show up.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:59 PM
alterra16 is infamous around these parts
I am a Porsche North Scottsdale customer as well. I have had a 12' C2S with PDK, and now a 12' TTS(only offered PDK). I know how to drive manual. I FAR prefer the PDK to the 6 speed. It is an incredible transmission. If you look at dealer inventories most of the cars they cannot sell are manual. When somebody comes in wanting a manual they drool at the chance to sell one. If you look at the residual values for leasing, I think you will find the PDK cars do better at maintaining their value. I agree that the manual will be a thing of the past.

Last edited by alterra16; 05-12-2012 at 02:00 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 05-12-2012, 03:48 PM
bdbdbd has a spectacular aura aboutbdbdbd has a spectacular aura about
I had the opposite reaction with a PDK. I had a PDK loaner while my car was in service and after a day of driving with it, I was bored with it and felt just like any other automatic. Yes, I know it is faster, quicker and not an automatic in the torque-converter sense but it still does apply the clutch for you automatically.

A 6 speed just seems so much more involving as you MUST use both feet and and both hands. In the PDK, I just zoned out after awhile and let the car shift for me.

Not so sure manuals will be disappearing. They said the same thing about analog watches (Rolex, Patek, etc.) as digital watches were more accurate, durable, etc. Today, analog watches are more desirable than they've ever been.

Old 05-12-2012, 04:00 PM
PaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to behold
[QUOTE=bdbdbd;3542427]I had the opposite reaction with a PDK. I had a PDK loaner while my car was in service and after a day of driving with it, I was bored with it and felt just like any other automatic. Yes, I know it is faster, quicker and not an automatic in the torque-converter sense but it still does apply the clutch for you automatically...

+1, Exactly how I felt when I drove a PDK. No dout it's an excellent transmission, but got bored with it quickly.

Old 05-12-2012, 04:13 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Si Señor. An automatic, is an automatic, is an auto.... There are auto drivers and then there are manual drivers. I am the latter. A PDK does some amazing things for an automatic, such as launch mode. However, if I wanted to launch myself all the time, I would pop the clutch. If you're an automatic driver (of course that's fine) you may love it. If you're a stick shifter, you'll likely be bored in a week or two. I was.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:34 AM
amge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond repute
Couldn't Resist

Well, I've already posted how I feel and driving around with "save the stick" sticker on my P-car.

Then I came across this...couldn't resist sharing...

Name:  untitled.JPG
Views: 35
Size:  24.0 KB

http://hooniverse.com/2012/05/11/las...-toad-edition/

Old 05-13-2012, 06:38 AM
mseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of light
Haven't there already been many times, historically, that an innovation in automatics has led to a proclamation of the manual transmission being a thing of the past?

Old 05-13-2012, 11:52 AM
hot nikon is infamous around these parts
One place that I wouldn't want to be is owning a PDK trans that is OUT of warranty.

Anyone priced replacement PDKs?

Buns up, no lube.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:34 PM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
I agree. PDK is super boring when you eliminate the nice jolt and power loss of a true manual gearbox. Our cars are not about performance, they're about feel.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:11 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by hot nikon
One place that I wouldn't want to be is owning a PDK trans that is OUT of warranty.

Anyone priced replacement PDKs?

Buns up, no lube.
True... But as in any newer technology, there is a curve. Local shops are learning all about these new gearboxes, and how to 'fix' them cheaply (relatively). I feel that, eventually, dealerships will gain more access, which will reduce maintenance/repair costs.
Originally Posted by gasongasoff
... PDK is super boring when you eliminate the nice jolt and power loss of a true manual gearbox. Our cars are not about performance, they're about feel.
Two things:

#1 So power loss is exciting?

#2 You really think Porsche is not about performance? Interesting... I'd suspect Porsche would disagree (I'd check out their website for supporting evidence).

Old 05-14-2012, 09:48 AM
mseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
#2 You really think Porsche is not about performance? Interesting... I'd suspect Porsche would disagree (I'd check out their website for supporting evidence).

Yes. The internet is a reliable and accurate place to gain information. Care to buy any male enhancement products?

Old 05-14-2012, 10:24 AM
Sciloh is a jewel in the roughSciloh is a jewel in the roughSciloh is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by mseligson
Yes. The internet is a reliable and accurate place to gain information. Care to buy any male enhancement products?
I think Porsche's own website has credibility when it comes to their stance on whether their cars are performance oriented or not.

If it's about feel....then maybe you should remove the power steering and abs on your car.

It's good to have choices but to discredit a technology just because it doesn't suit your preference is a little stupid (i'm not directing this to anybody, just a general comment). If the manual transmission goes the way of the dodo bird, i won't shed a tear (i have both manual and PDK cars).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: not one manual 911 at local dealership