997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

not one manual 911 at local dealership

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 08:10 PM
RickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud of
not one manual 911 at local dealership

I was perusing the Porsche of North Scottsdale webpage. EVERY SINGLE new 911 in stock is a PDK. Is that what we've come to? Discouraging to say the least. I dare say that there are now 911 owners who can't even drive a stick let alone own one. I wonder what Ferry Porsche would think?

Old 05-04-2012, 08:22 PM
fc2s is infamous around these partsfc2s is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by RickinColorado
I was perusing the Porsche of North Scottsdale webpage. EVERY SINGLE new 911 in stock is a PDK. Is that what we've come to? Discouraging to say the least. I dare say that there are now 911 owners who can't even drive a stick let alone own one. I wonder what Ferry Porsche would think?
Sad indeed...
I have a BMW lux sedan for daily driver and I sought out my six speed P car to fully appreciate how much fun it really is to drive a stick and to feel so connected to the machine.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:24 PM
mseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by fc2s
Sad indeed...
I have a BMW lux sedan for daily driver and I sought out my six speed P car to fully appreciate how much fun it really is to drive a stick and to feel so connected to the machine.
Get a 5 series and you can get a manual dd too. I love my 528I sport manual, w active steering and ars.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:36 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
GT3's are rumoured to be available with PDK in the next offering. I enjoy a manual, and I am glad that I have one. PDK is something tht might appeal to me in the future, but for now I will row my gear box quickly down the track!

Old 05-04-2012, 08:36 PM
py0413 is a jewel in the roughpy0413 is a jewel in the roughpy0413 is a jewel in the rough
I have checked 2 dealerships with their in stock and incoming inventories, only 2 manual cars and 20+ PDKs all together.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:29 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
No surprise. Most of the other exotic makers have dropped their manual transmissions. The dealerships are only ordering what they see a demand for. The beauty is you can order what ever you want.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:21 PM
terrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the rough
I have a manual GTS. Love it.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:43 AM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
Resistance is futile

Attached Images  
Old 05-05-2012, 02:09 PM
jordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant future
We're the last of the breed. Drivers under the age of 30 might as well cut their right hand and left foot off.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:37 PM
amge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond repute
Too bad they haven't updated this to a six-speed, but this is what I have on mine...My 18-year old son has one on his car too. All my kids know how to drive manual transmissions.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  147.7 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  165.9 KB

Old 05-06-2012, 07:20 AM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
I waited until I found what I wanted, 6 spd, coupe.. I also drove thousands of miles to get it ... I would have considered the PDK as a last resort on the right coupe.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:09 PM
B737 is infamous around these parts
this one too!
NPR iPhone App:
http://www.npr.org/2012/03/26/149398...sions?sc=17&f=
Car Guru: Stop Downshift In Manual Transmissions
by Tracy Samilton
Michigan Radio - March 26, 2012

Seventy years ago, 70 percent of U.S.-made cars came with a stick shift. The number is less than 9 percent today.
But at least one man is on a quest to reverse that slide.
Eddie Alterman loves automobiles. He's a gear head. He's the top editor at Car and Driver magazine. His whole career, he has watched the sales of cars with stick shifts decline. And when Ferrari failed to offer a manual option for the new 458 Italia, he said, enough's enough. Basta.
Alterman is making converts one by one. Recently, he gave Julia Espinosa her first lesson in driving a manual transmission, in a high school parking lot. Espinosa says, ever since her uncle regaled her with tales of touring the back roads of England as a young man, she has wanted to learn how to drive a real car. You know, one with a stick.
"So the clutch pedal needs to be depressed completely before it's going to engage? Or you said halfway," Espinosa says before the car stalls.
And stalls. And stalls a third time. But, on the fourth try she gets it.
"There you go! WHOO!" Alterman says. "You did it! Now to get into second gear."
By the time the lesson is over, Espinosa has mastered the basics. She's not ready for the back roads of England yet, but it's a start.
"A great number of people become addicted to stick shifts," says Chris Terry of Ford, who brought the car for the lesson. He says it isn't too much trouble to offer manual transmissions for a small pool of customers.
"The trouble would be if consumers didn't think they were gonna get a choice and that they thought Ford Motor Co. was gonna turn its back on driving enthusiasts," Terry says.
Alterman figures young people in particular should focus more on driving and less on distractions.

"It's about do-it-yourself, it's about having fun in the car, and not doing it through apps or downloading Pandora or anything like that," he says. "It's about actually having a connection to the mechanical part of the car."

But still, the numbers of manual shift cars keep declining.
"In 1940, we sold our first Hydromatic transmission," says GM Engineer Tim Kotlarek. His company introduced the first commercially successful automatic transmission in the U.S.

Kotlarek expects most sports cars will always come with a stick option, but even though he's a car guy, too, he prefers an automatic. Do stick shift enthusiasts think that's lazy?
"Yeah, I am, I'll be the first to admit it," he says, laughing. "But, it's the ease of things, right?"
That, plus, automatics are now as fuel efficient as manuals. And just get stuck in a stop-and-go traffic jam with a manual; that'll suck the joy out of driving a stick for sure.
But Alterman isn't ready to accept a world without manual transmissions.
"I don't want to live in that world, to tell you the truth," he says. "It's a world without guys building treehouses for their kids. It's a world without train sets. It's a world without fun."
So Alterman fights the good fight, armed with a website, some decals, and T-shirts that read, "Save the Manuals." [Copyright 2012 Michigan Radio]

Old 05-06-2012, 10:59 PM
vrnkc is infamous around these parts
Price for manual 997

Does the shortage of manual transmission 997s mean that
those with manual trans will hold their prices better?

Old 05-06-2012, 11:26 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
I don't believe there is any "shortage" of manual transmissions. And no.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:39 AM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by amge63
Too bad they haven't updated this to a six-speed, but this is what I have on mine...My 18-year old son has one on his car too. All my kids know how to drive manual transmissions.

Attachment 176177

Attachment 176178
Love the stickers. Where can I get some ? (link in the other post does not show your sticker )

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: not one manual 911 at local dealership