997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Anyone ever have this problem?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 05:59 PM
GS997 is infamous around these parts
Anyone ever have this problem?

I picked up my '06 Carrera S Cabrio about 10 days ago. Car is like new, only 9,000 miles on it, etc. Everything was too good to be true the BAM! the crap started last nite. Whenever I'm playing a CD or on the car's phone, loud crackling and popping noises come through the speakers. At first I thought maybe I blew a speaker, but then I discover that if the radio (fm/am) or the navigation is on, there's no crackling sounds. Going to the dealer tomorrow, but just wanted to see if anyone else had this problem.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:46 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Sounds like it could be a ground issue.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:19 AM
spiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud of
"on the car's phone"...you mean BT? i'm thinking you might have aftermarket system (part of, anyway) since i dont think we had BT option in '06. prob something to do with that, connections, integration, etc.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:22 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by spiffyjiff
"on the car's phone"...you mean BT? i'm thinking you might have aftermarket system (part of, anyway) since i dont think we had BT option in '06. prob something to do with that, connections, integration, etc.
The PCM had option 666 which allowed for a SIM card to be added to it, and the phone would work through the PCM without the need of a Blue Tooth add on.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:00 PM
Michaelwww is a jewel in the roughMichaelwww is a jewel in the roughMichaelwww is a jewel in the rough
My sound system would do that if the audio cable was plugged in with nothing attached at the end. 09 997.2

Old 05-08-2012, 10:32 PM
Dropped off the car to the dealership this morning. They said whatever the problem is, the car should be ready by tomorrow. 1 question I do have for all of you, is I just picked up the car less than 2 weeks ago (4/27). They were already talking about charging me for labor, etc. I got very agitated, not only because I purchased almost 5K in warranties, but I JUST GOT THE DAMN THING. I could see if I had the car for 8 months or something, but c'mon. I spend 65K on a car, and 11 days later the head unit fouls up?!?! Am I being irrational?

Spiffy, no bluetooth, my car has the sim card tray, so the car has it's own phone number.

Michael, I don't have an audio cable, I'm guessing because my 997 is an older model ('06)

Old 05-09-2012, 05:03 AM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, you spend $65K on a 2006? I may sell my 2005 for $50K!

Just kiddin'

I hope they fix your issue. Remember that extended warranties have a grace period that you need to wait for the first claim... after that you are clear, only pay the deductible and that's it.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:06 AM
blazinginder is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JoelPirela
Wow, you spend $65K on a 2006? I may sell my 2005 for $50K!
my thoughts as well that's a LOT for 06 S cab

Old 05-09-2012, 06:50 AM
Michaelwww is a jewel in the roughMichaelwww is a jewel in the roughMichaelwww is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by GS997
Michael, I don't have an audio cable, I'm guessing because my 997 is an older model ('06)
I know. I was pointing out that hopefully it he can be something rather simple. I had initially thought I had a major problem. Good luck.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:19 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GS997
I picked up my '06 Carrera S Cabrio about 10 days ago. Car is like new, only 9,000 miles on it, etc. Everything was too good to be true the BAM! the crap started last nite. Whenever I'm playing a CD or on the car's phone, loud crackling and popping noises come through the speakers. At first I thought maybe I blew a speaker, but then I discover that if the radio (fm/am) or the navigation is on, there's no crackling sounds. Going to the dealer tomorrow, but just wanted to see if anyone else had this problem.
it is your amplifier most likely. new one costs in area of $150-$200 imho.
i had same exact simptoms, even with PCM turned off. very loud static discharge into all speakers. issue appeared and dissapeared first, randomly, then it came in and remained all the time, at that time i drove to a dealer and got a replacement installed, covered by CPO.

if you have no warranty you can get new amp yourself, it is in your frunk, very easy to replace.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:49 AM
Thank you everyone for your responses.. The price for the car itself was 56,500, plus 3500 for platinum warranty, 1500 for rim, tire, and windshield insurance, and about 4k in taxes, so that's how the price got so high.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:14 AM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
dont worry. it sounds like a simple fix.

hopefully the dealership u bought from takes care of it for u.

doesn't used cars come with 30 day warranty from dealer?

Congrats ! and post some pics when u get it back.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:39 PM
Thank you, I definitely will post some pics when I get it back. On another note, I'm beyond aggravated with the dealer. Over the phone they said they'll fix it in an hour. Then I get there yesterday morning and they tell me to leave it there overnight and pick it up today. Then I don't hear from them ALL day, so I finally call them a couple hours ago and they tell me they can't figure out what the problem is, and the earliest I could have the car back is tomorrow, but if they need to order parts then I'll have to wait til next week. WTF, nothing like buying your first 911, then a few days later you end up driving an old Volkswagen loaner car. I'm beyond angry/frustrated. And this isn't some shady car lot, it's one of the biggest if not THE biggest Porsche dealership in the world. I really hope this isn't a taste of things to come.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:16 AM
Just wanted to post a quick update. It turns out they're going to replace the whole head unit. Thank god I purchased the warranty, otherwise it would've cost me about 4K. So I get to pick up the car later, but I have to bring it back next week when the parts come in.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:24 AM
spiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by NorthVan
The PCM had option 666 which allowed for a SIM card to be added to it, and the phone would work through the PCM without the need of a Blue Tooth add on.
hmm...i thought (and pretty sure i even remember the salesman saying something) that this was "not for USA models" and that it only worked in RoW? i guess that was something else he was referring to. either way, shows how much i know about this subject!