997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

CarFax "Commercial Vehicle" designation meaning?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2012 | 03:21 PM
|
a4ep is infamous around these parts
CarFax "Commercial Vehicle" designation meaning?

So I am looking at what appears to be a beautiful 997.2 C2S that is CPOed and at the higher end of the price range for the 2009's on the market now. I am about to call on it tomorrow but when reviewing the CarFax report I am posed with a few questions:

1: When a car is recorded in CarFax as a "Commercial Vehicle" what does that mean exactly? It is not a lease or a personal vehicle. Is it something that has to do with the purchaser's business registration for the car?

2: Is it a warning sign that a car was listed at a dealer for a full 13 months before it was actually sold from the dealer and first registered? I know 2009 was a tough year but this seems a bit excessive.

3: The car in question then was returned to the originating dealer and placed on "Vehicle Offered for Sale" status for 6 months, bouncing between two different dealer locations that are both owned by the main company. After the 6 months it was sold to the dealer where it is today at the Porsche Auction. A little research on "the Google" shows that the original dealer had the car listed all the way up at $89k in August 2011 and progressively reduced the price down to $72k (certified) before taking it to Auction in Feb. of this year.

Basically, is this CarFax telling me that this car was a demo vehicle in 2009 (it is not the launch edition Green/Tan PDK car) or that the dealer used it in their loaner car fleet for a year before selling it?

The car actually has every single option I want and is one of two color choices I am looking at so I am highly attracted to it but just would like some of your opinions if it is a "run away" from car or a simply ask the right questions car. Again, it is CPOd for another 3.5 years and from photos looks imacculate.

Old 05-22-2012 | 04:02 PM
DirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud of
If it is CPO I wouldn't worry about it too much. Maybe an inspection? Other than that I guess just ask for those clarifications. But if it is the car that you are looking for and runs well, what else do you care? Seems like it may be had for a good deal due to all the bouncing around. Just make sure everything is tip top mechanically. Perhaps see if there are service records to be had from those dealers?

Old 05-22-2012 | 08:28 PM
Goldduster is infamous around these parts
The analysis is highly dependent on the order of the dates and mileage each transaction occurred. It seems that the vehicle was for sale at the dealer, then sold and registered as a "commercial vehicle"; returned to the dealer after 13 months and then put up for sale as "used". Several inconsistencies; A car going thru the Porsche auction is normally placed there by either Porsche Distributor or Porsche Financial, not a dealer. (perhaps it was a Lease return or repossession). Lots of variables?

Bottom line, I agree with DirtyVegas, If it shows clean and has 3.5 Porsche Wrty/CPO left, sounds fairly safe.