997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

shifting without the clutch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 11:42 PM
kkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nice

i do this quite often and maybe i just have to get to know the car, but they are basically all the same...been doing this forever starting with my '38 ford woodie, where there was no synchro for 1st, it is just rev matching, but it has been a bit more difficult with the 997 than with other cars. i am wondering if it has to do with the cables, older cars had solid llinkage, but then the vw bus has cables as well, could it be that the cables need adjusting? i have the most trouble with 1-2 and 3-2, sounding like the 2nd gear synchro ain't it,hmmm, just wondering if anyone else even does this,

Old 05-23-2012, 11:51 PM
Hayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by kkswow12
i do this quite often and maybe i just have to get to know the car, but they are basically all the same...been doing this forever starting with my '38 ford woodie, where there was no synchro for 1st, it is just rev matching, but it has been a bit more difficult with the 997 than with other cars. i am wondering if it has to do with the cables, older cars had solid llinkage, but then the vw bus has cables as well, could it be that the cables need adjusting? i have the most trouble with 1-2 and 3-2, sounding like the 2nd gear synchro ain't it,hmmm, just wondering if anyone else even does this,
An old race mechanic once said to me when I took him for a ride in my 1967 SS Camaro and "showed him" just how well I could downshift. He said, "Which costs more to replace - the clutch or engine parts,,, or your brakes?"

Common sense swiftly answers that question.

I drove commercial trucks for years and shifted without a clutch unless it was for first or reverse. But that was a truck. Missing a gear in a expensive car is something I don't want to think about how badly I could screw something up,, and I don't care how good you say you are. I know there will always be the argument,, and that is on you and others like you that shift this way.

Shift normal. Clutch in, select a gear. Clutch out and go.
Peace of mind. Parts are expensive.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:21 AM
DirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud of
If you will spend time to perfect the revmatching so well in order to shift w/o clutch, why not learn heel/toe without hardware sacrafice?

Old 05-24-2012, 05:09 AM
Atomic is infamous around these parts
Use the Clutch!

Old 05-24-2012, 05:32 AM
Fahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to all
Use the clutch or you will wind up putting big wear on your sychronizers.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:15 AM
sameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to behold
Why the Clutch would you want to do that?

Old 05-24-2012, 07:16 PM
jordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant future
On roadracing motorcycles we use a Battle Factory Quick shifter which is a switch attached to the shifter which cuts the spark for a fraction of a second allowing you to not only upshift without the clutch, but with the throttle pinned as well. It's certainly worth some tenths when you're at 14,000 RPMS and shifting from 3-4-5-6 on the front straight.

That being said, I'd never even consider shifting without the clutch in my car.

Last edited by jordanpryce; 05-24-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:14 PM
hot nikon is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by DirtyVegas
If you will spend time to perfect the revmatching so well in order to shift w/o clutch, why not learn heel/toe without hardware sacrafice?
This.

Just because you can do it, doesn't meant that you should...

I'm guilty of it too. Mostly old tractors and early Toyota 4 cylinder, 5-speed pickups.

Good luck.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:49 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Hayabusa
An old race mechanic once said to me when I took him for a ride in my 1967 SS Camaro and "showed him" just how well I could downshift. He said, "Which costs more to replace - the clutch or engine parts,,, or your brakes?"
I agree. Bad idea.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:59 PM
ranger5oh is a splendid one to beholdranger5oh is a splendid one to beholdranger5oh is a splendid one to beholdranger5oh is a splendid one to beholdranger5oh is a splendid one to beholdranger5oh is a splendid one to beholdranger5oh is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jordanpryce
On roadracing motorcycles we use a Battle Factory Quick shifter which is a switch attached to the shifter which cuts the spark for a fraction of a second allowing you to not only upshift without the clutch, but with the throttle pinned as well. It's certainly worth some tenths when you're at 14,000 RPMS and shifting from 3-4-5-6 on the front straight.

That being said, I'd never even consider shifting without the clutch in my car.
Motorcycles have a different type of transmission that allows this to work better than it does in cars. They use constant mesh gears that dont use synchros.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:27 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kkswow12

i do this quite often
why ??

is ur left leg broken ?

or just too lazy to push-in the clutch ?

in all seriousness, i would only temporarily shift without clutching if my clutch is broken.

have u considered PDK ?

Old 05-25-2012, 05:13 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Clutches are for girls.

Old 05-26-2012, 03:29 PM
MBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Gpjli
Clutches are for girls.
LOL.

Just drive the car in one gear. Like they did in the 1890s.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:52 PM
GS997 is infamous around these parts
You're braver than me, I'd never do that