997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

sat radio just gone

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 02:02 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
If it is an electrical solder or similar joint problem, then as the system is used it warms up, and the expansion of the parts (wires get longer, components get tiny bits bigger, a marginal connection can be disconnected. That said, it could be something entirely different.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:17 AM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Damn, I actually watched the entire video.

Good luck.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:57 AM
simtiaz has a spectacular aura aboutsimtiaz has a spectacular aura about
Sorry to hijack OP's thread but wanted to update all that I got the car back, service tech removed my SAT radio and put a loop around my Navi to see if it was SAT radio module was causing the issue. Service manger asked me to drive car around for few weeks to see if issue comes back and than they will take it from there. They also updated the software version to 3.0 or current.
Sunday I'll be out for long drive so I'll see if the issue comes back or it's the SAT causing the problem.
What if it is the SAT radio? I purchase the car with this and don't want to have to get rid of the SAT in order for my Navi to work?
Your thoughts??

Old 06-07-2012, 04:28 PM
gordo911 is infamous around these parts
Got a Tooki and an XM Delphi sat radio in my 06 911.....and it just did the same thing to me today. No sat radio - and then it came back on 30 minutes later. Both the sat and the xm have only been in for about a week. Both were professionally installed.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:34 PM
fgv1it has a spectacular aura aboutfgv1it has a spectacular aura about
I have a Nav-Tv satellite unit in my '06 C2S. The sat tuner and the interface with the car are installed in the front trunk, close to where the CD player and factory navigation units are. Over the years I have noticed that heat seems to affect the workings of the sat unit. When the weather gets really hot, after an hour or so of driving, or when the car has sat in the sun in a parking lot, the sat radio stops working. When it cools down, it works again. The emperature has to be in the 90's or 100's and the car has to be exposed to the sun for a while for the malfunction to happen. It's been doing this for about 5 years, and it seems to be consistent with heat. Since it happens rarely, I have not tried to fix it.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:03 PM
They should work just fine.. if they don't work together, one is broken and the broken parts should be replaced. I've got sat and nav and they integrate (XM Navtraffic data) ... so they have to work together.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:06 AM
Ok so after all day driving in 90+ temps yesterday my Navi worked fine, it seems like that SAT radio might be casuing the issue. Service manager mentioned that if that's the case than I'll have to live without SAT radio??

Old 06-11-2012, 01:33 PM
Why on Earth would he say that? If the SAT is broken, Porsche should fix the SAT. It isn't rocket science, though the overly complex Porsche electronics may well be worse than rocket science.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:39 PM
^^^ agree, taking the car back in tomorrow afternoon so they can take it to 3rd party who deals with high end audios locally. We'll see what they will do to make both work. I made it clear with tech that I bought the car with SAT and Navi and I would like both to work in the car.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:18 PM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
Factory SAT was not avail for the 997.1. Some people and dealers would install the Cayenne SAT module to the 997.1 radio and it would work. Most will NOT do it any more because of issues. I have that same in my 997.1 TT. SAT is very flaky. Some days it would work and others it was just dead. SAT signal was very very picky too. I didn't like the audio quality either. So, I let the contract laps.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:19 AM
yea mine only did it on long drives,normally driving around town etc they both worked. Than again I never use navi on short local drives either lol

Old 06-12-2012, 04:13 PM
It seems to me that Porsche, who used to have no electronics in the cars, went totally overboard in their zeal to keep a death-grip on all electronics in the car and control who can put what in there, and as a result produced a set of electronic components whose interaction is so brittle that a slight hickup quickly results in strange behavior.. but they don't give the techs the tools (or the hooks don't exist in their electronics ecosystem ) to get the diagnostic data out to localize and diagnose the cause of the problems. Its always just a part behaving in a strange way on occasion. (like my radio going off-mute all on its own while I drive... I press mute again, and 20 seconds later its off mute again.. WTF this is mute that worked really well on my $100 Blaupunkt in the 85 Jetta I had)