997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.
View Poll Results: How Many Times Have You Tracked Your 997?
Never
50.00%
1 to 5 track days
23.75%
6 to 20 track days
15.00%
21 to 50 track days
7.50%
Over 50 track days
3.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

How Much Have You Tracked Your 997?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 08:34 PM
lowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud of
My friend was doing a hot lap with his instructor in the A group when they hit an inside curb, the car bounced and flipped...slid on its rrof for awhile before it it the dirt. The roof completely collapsed to the roll bar. That made us both realize safety first resulting in both of us getting dedicated track cars with full safety gear. Wondering if I should get a Hans device...wonder how any folks use them.

Last edited by lowpue; 06-02-2012 at 07:12 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:53 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by lowpue
My friend was doing a hot lap with his instructor in the A group when they hit an inside curb, the car bounced and flipped...slid on its rrof for awhile before it it the dirt. The roof completely collapsed to the roll bar. Had he been in his Boxster, they would have been dead I am sure. That made us both realize safety first resulting in both of us getting dedicated track cars with full safety gear. Wondering if I should get a Hans device...wonder how any folks use them.
So the instructor was driving?!

Old 05-27-2012, 09:41 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
What track did he crash at?

Hans device is worth while.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:24 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
I've tracked my other cars, I have not had the opportunity to track the 997. Been too busy with work and life. I have 3 small children at home, seems kind of selfish of me to leave wife and kids at home while I go away for a weekend. My brother build a nice e36 M3 for mostly track use and I do plan to take that out more than the 997. That car is just sitting there collecting dust at my parents house since he moved to the bay area.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:25 PM
PasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to all
hard to believe a 997's roof wont withstand a flip and slide...

Old 05-27-2012, 10:31 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
I did about 10 days in my previous 09 C2S and then crashed at Mid-Ohio. You've got to love those GT3 coolant pipes. Got rid of the C2S and picked up a GTS which has yet to see the track.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:58 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Yes and a total loss but everyone was fine with some scrapes and bruises....pacific raceways...our wives will never know
Which turn? What group? Kitch or PCA?

Old 05-28-2012, 04:11 AM
tommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud of
Yes and a total loss but everyone was fine with some scrapes and bruises....pacific raceways...our wives will never know
Why wouldn't you tell yout wife? I can't imagine totalling my car and not mentioning it to her.

I'm just curious....are you under 50 years old?

Tom

Old 05-28-2012, 05:43 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan
Hans device is worth while.
I had to look this up: http://hansdevice.com/Professor-HANS-Video-Page

Old 05-28-2012, 06:27 AM
lowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by tommyv
Why wouldn't you tell yout wife? I can't imagine totalling my car and not mentioning it to her.

I'm just curious....are you under 50 years old?

Tom
Hmmm...lets see, one of us had a near death experience, what do you think would happen with the hobby that the wives are already questioning?...what happens in vegas, stays in vegas

Lets just say I have had a license for over 30 years

Last edited by lowpue; 06-02-2012 at 07:26 AM.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:02 AM
jordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant future
I've been thinking about picking up an early boxster for track days now that I've retired from motorcycle racing...

Old 05-28-2012, 08:42 AM
jurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond repute
997 tracking

Originally Posted by buckwheat986
I'm near fifty but not over. Maybe by the end of this year.

Still have lots and lots to learn. Car has been great since I got new engine due to IMS failure over three years ago. Most of the miles on the new engine (8000) are miles driving to the track and track miles. Sometimes I yearn for more power but I realize my skill is more important.

I've been on the track with some great cars and drivers. And I have met many nice people who are now good friends.

If you have never done it try it at least once. Awesome time.
I could not have said it better...so I won't. Very nice thoughtful post!

Old 05-28-2012, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by jurnes
I could not have said it better...so I won't. Very nice thoughtful post!
Yes that is a good point....I just got back from my weekly breakfast with good friends that I met from DE. That really is the best part of the track... a bunch of folks with a common passion that never get tired of talking about it. At the end of the day it is the complete experience that makes the track special.

Last edited by lowpue; 05-28-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:36 AM
Yes that is a good point....I just got back from my weekly breakfast with good friends that I met from DE. That really is the best part pf the track... a bunch of folks with a common passion that never get tired of talking about it. At the end of the day it is the complete experience that makes the track special.
+1, my track buddies are my best friends now

Old 05-28-2012, 12:10 PM
Domer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond repute
I have 2100 miles on my 2010 C4S. One hot August day at the track, about 18 laps. Learned a lot about my car, about driving my car, about why they might wave the black flag at my car, and about the heat tolerances of my black powder coated exhaust tips. I highly recommend everyone do it at least one time. There's no law that says you must get crazy. But it sure gives you more insight into how these things perform!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How Much Have You Tracked Your 997?