997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.
View Poll Results: How Many Times Have You Tracked Your 997?
Never
50.00%
1 to 5 track days
23.75%
6 to 20 track days
15.00%
21 to 50 track days
7.50%
Over 50 track days
3.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

How Much Have You Tracked Your 997?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 07:02 AM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
Manifold thanks for that post. Have to say I was on the fence about doing a track day but you may have pushed me over the edge.

Thanks!

Old 06-07-2012, 07:40 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by lacrosse
Manifold thanks for that post. Have to say I was on the fence about doing a track day but you may have pushed me over the edge.

Thanks!
I definitely encourage you to try it at least once, and don't let my spin discourage you. Driving at 6/10 or 7/10 is fast enough to be tons of fun, while still quite safe. And autocross is cool because you can turn off PSM and drive at 9/10 safely. Your local PCA regions are a great way to get involved in this stuff and, as others have noted, there's a nice social aspect to it.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:40 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Sounds like another one is bitten by the track bug. Not long and you will be over 50 days too

For heel toe (rev matching) try some Rennline pedals with extension (I only have the toe), makes it a lot easier.

Good luck and enjoy the track time.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:59 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan
Sounds like another one is bitten by the track bug. Not long and you will be over 50 days too

For heel toe (rev matching) try some Rennline pedals with extension (I only have the toe), makes it a lot easier.

Bitten big time! Almost as much fun as sex, but it lasts longer. Beyond the thrill of speed, g-forces, tire squeal, sliding, informal competition, etc., I love the combined mental and physical challenge of driving. Reminds me of when I first started to play guitar, which I'm still learning and trying to get better at three decades later.

It might be best to just go ahead and get the Rennline pedals. Seems like everyone goes that route who does h/t, so why make this harder than it needs to be.

I hope to be at Watkins Glen for a DE at the end of this month, with the wife driving too. Everyone tells me that it's a great track.

Thanks for all the input!

Old 06-07-2012, 08:14 AM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Manifold
I definitely encourage you to try it at least once, and don't let my spin discourage you. Driving at 6/10 or 7/10 is fast enough to be tons of fun, while still quite safe. And autocross is cool because you can turn off PSM and drive at 9/10 safely. Your local PCA regions are a great way to get involved in this stuff and, as others have noted, there's a nice social aspect to it.

Did my first Auto-X last Fall and had a blast (and didn't finish last .... )

Old 06-07-2012, 09:04 AM
spiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud of
awesome! another addict in the making. so start: saving your pennies, taking out a 2nd mortgage, begging your wife/girlfriend/other for forgiveness, planning on spending every free moment either at the track or in preparation for it...or whatever you have to do, because it's def a slippery slope!

just some quick points.

- I think the 911 behaves very well on the track, and I think I like it a bit more than the CR. I find the handling of both cars to be very predictable and controllable.

i'm surprised to hear that. most folks i know that own/have driven both as stock on the track prefer the cayman (due to inherent mid-eng design and set up, etc).

- The brake feel of the 911 is much better than the CR, even after bleeding the brakes of the CR. I've heard the GT3 master cylinder will help, but only modestly.

i've heard this as well.

- My heel/toeing is tolerable, but still needs a lot of work. I may get modified pedals, but I'm continuing to practice with the stock pedals for now. One instructor I rode with was doing the h/t so fast and perfectly that it was truly a thing of beauty. Honestly, seemed just as fast as the current PDK.

practice on the street when slowing for corners or coming to a light. definitely not a substitute for track setting/pedal height orientation but it will def get your MIND in tune with doing it naturally and will make you more comfortable with doing something with that right foot other than just braking.

- My speeds are getting high enough that I'll probably look into improving safety, maybe starting with a HANS device. I also need to think about harnesses.

obviously i dont know every product out there, but i believe HANS needs harnesses and cannot be used without them? in any case, safety is a good idea and dont go half-assed - get the good stuff and invest in good seats and roll bar, not harness bar.

- Yesterday, I let two tires go about 9" off into the grass, figuring it wouldn't be a big deal. When I turned to get those tires back on the track, as soon as the front tire got back on I spun. My instructor told me that the correct action would have been to keep the tires off until my speed was low and then get back on, and that he could have stopped me from trying to steer back on, but he wanted me see what would happen, since it wasn't a fast corner. No damage, though the car behind had to go around me. I was a bit shaken, and frankly embarrassed , but my instructor still scored me 5/5 in all categories and told to just learn the lesson and move on. And I should also note that I wouldn't have been in a situation where I had to consider letting two wheels off if I hadn't made the dumbass move of trying to leave the guy behind me, who I just passed, in the dust (http://www.momentumporsche.com/red-mist.htm).

yep, from street driving, it's..."intuitive"?...to try to get back on the road quickly. i've been off once at VIR (T1) and for a split second i almost yanked wheel toward pavement but thank goodness subconscience won out and i kept wheels straight and slowed. no damage other than pride.

- I'm quickly learning that the faster you go (or want to go), the less margin for error you have. Smoothness and accuracy become paramount. Lines, braking points and pressures, and throttle application need to be brought closer and closer to perfection, so I can see that I have much to learn and practice.

yep. i have noticed tho that with increasing speed (and mods?), there is sometimes more need to, not "saw" the steering wheel really, but more like "quickly fine tune it" (like when you catch/prevent oversteer, etc) thru turns. the key is keeping the CAR smooth.
I hope to be at Watkins Glen for a DE at the end of this month, with the wife driving too. Everyone tells me that it's a great track.
are you going with potomac chapter on 22nd - 24th? if so, i'll be there as well.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:04 AM
jurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond repute
I recently completed three track days, two with the CR and one with the 911 (five track days total so far, with many more to come this season). I also just re-read this thread from the beginning. Some thoughts and observations:

- To give some context, I'm driving at about 8/10ths and am placed in the 'advanced beginner' blue group. My only experience of what these cars can do beyond 8/10ths is riding with a couple of instructors, which was thriling.

- I think the 911 behaves very well on the track, and I think I like it a bit more than the CR. I find the handling of both cars to be very predictable and controllable.

- The brake feel of the 911 is much better than the CR, even after bleeding the brakes of the CR. I've heard the GT3 master cylinder will help, but only modestly.

- My heel/toeing is tolerable, but still needs a lot of work. I may get modified pedals, but I'm continuing to practice with the stock pedals for now. One instructor I rode with was doing the h/t so fast and perfectly that it was truly a thing of beauty. Honestly, seemed just as fast as the current PDK.

- Due to heating, I'm increasing tire pressures by about 4 to 8 psi during each session, and really need to work on getting the pressures right. Especially with the 911, where the official cold pressures are 37/44; I dropped the rear pressures to 38.5 before one session and they still were up to 47 at the end of the session.

- I'll keep an eye on tire wear and may have to look into cambers, alignment, etc. if the tire wear is too uneven. Both cars currently understeer, though the understeer goes away and transitions to a bit of oversteer if I have enough throttle out of turns. In most turns, I also found that I can use the throttle to induce oversteer at will, thereby helping to rotate the car for exits, but of course this has to be done carefully to avoid a spin, and a couple times I had to countersteer and recover to do that.

- My speeds are getting high enough that I'll probably look into improving safety, maybe starting with a HANS device. I also need to think about harnesses.

- The seats in the CR (sport seats, not the carbon fiber buckets) are pretty good on the track, and hold me in well. The seats I have in the 911 don't hold me in place nearly as well (my instructor had the same comment, and was bracing himself with the door handle and footwell).

- Yesterday, I let two tires go about 9" off into the grass, figuring it wouldn't be a big deal. When I turned to get those tires back on the track, as soon as the front tire got back on I spun. My instructor told me that the correct action would have been to keep the tires off until my speed was low and then get back on, and that he could have stopped me from trying to steer back on, but he wanted me see what would happen, since it wasn't a fast corner. No damage, though the car behind had to go around me. I was a bit shaken, and frankly embarrassed , but my instructor still scored me 5/5 in all categories and told to just learn the lesson and move on. And I should also note that I wouldn't have been in a situation where I had to consider letting two wheels off if I hadn't made the dumbass move of trying to leave the guy behind me, who I just passed, in the dust (http://www.momentumporsche.com/red-mist.htm).

- I'm quickly learning that the faster you go (or want to go), the less margin for error you have. Smoothness and accuracy become paramount. Lines, braking points and pressures, and throttle application need to be brought closer and closer to perfection, so I can see that I have much to learn and practice.

- Despite my (avoidable!) spin, I strongly encourage everyone who's never tracked to do so, or at least do some autocrosses. It's the only way you can get a feel for what your car can (and can't do) relatively safely. Trying to drive at 7/10ths or higher on public roads is dangerous. And IMO, there's not much point in having a sports car if you're not going to learn to drive it and at least occasionally drive it the way it was designed to be driven.
A very well written post.

My comments:

-Tire pressure, especially rears: Start at about 30-32 lbs with the goal of not letting the tires get above 40 lbs during the session.

I think your over-steer you are experiencing is due to the rear tires getting "greasy".

-Suspension setup: You will get to a point where you will want between 2-3 degrees negative front camber, and about .5 degrees less for the rear. The higher % numbers will give the best cornering performance, at the expense of straight-line braking and turn in feel. You will be paying for two piece front lower control arms to get these numbers. (many threads on this subject.)

-Understeer: A car with understeer characteristics is generally faster, and certainly safer on track, especially for a less experienced driver.

Keep tracking your car and you will find that lower lap times seem to come in plateau's: All of a sudden you will see a consistent drop in lap times, then after a period, another drop...

Old 06-07-2012, 11:56 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
- Due to heating, I'm increasing tire pressures by about 4 to 8 psi during each session, and really need to work on getting the pressures right. Especially with the 911, where the official cold pressures are 37/44; I dropped the rear pressures to 38.5 before one session and they still were up to 47 at the end of the session.
on any tires try to keep hot pressures in area between 34 to 36 psi. keep rear axle 2psi max higher than fronts. 34f/36r is good.
you will feel how tire changes its grip when it approaches 40psi and goes over it.

adjust cold pressures as needed to have hot pressures where they should be.

some crappy instructors suggest to boost pressure in street tires up to 50psi - it is BAD. do not do it.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:06 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by utkinpol
some crappy instructors suggest to boost pressure in street tires up to 50psi - it is BAD. do not do it.
Yeah, some PCA handbooks still recommend adding air on the way to the track... I think it may be a relic from the days of older tire designs. Certainly I agree it's a very bad idea.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:07 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan

yup.. i see a GT3 in your future Manifold

BTW my vote is to keep the pedal original.. and practice, practice, and more practice.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by spiffyjiff
are you going with potomac chapter on 22nd - 24th? if so, i'll be there as well.
Yup, it will be with Potomac, and I also did the Potomac DE at Shenandoah this past weekend (where I got to compare the CR and 911 back to back). Nice group of people.

Regarding your other points:

- I was also suprised that I enjoyed the 911 better than the CR on the track. I expected it to feel heavy and clumsy by comparison, but I had to try and find out. I like the unique pitch/roll dynamics of the 911 and its more 'substantial' feel, plus the additional power is noticable. Maybe I would feel differently if I was a better driver.

- I practice h/t on the street as much as possible. Would be scary doing it only on the track, with no prior practice, while also trying to brake from 100+ mph into a tight turn.

- When I've ridden with instructors, I've seen the sawing steering motion you describe. I agree that it doesn't look smooth, but the car feels smooth. Not something I want to attempt to replicate at my current level, but it will stay in the back of my mind.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by jurnes
My comments:

-Tire pressure, especially rears: Start at about 30-32 lbs with the goal of not letting the tires get above 40 lbs during the session.

This fits what other people are recommending, but I'm still baffled about why the official cold rear pressure is 44.

I think your over-steer you are experiencing is due to the rear tires getting "greasy".

You may be right, and my instructor warned that this may happen after 4 or 5 laps. I was also getting more aggressive on getting on the power coming out of tighter turns, so that might have contributed.

-Suspension setup: You will get to a point where you will want between 2-3 degrees negative front camber, and about .5 degrees less for the rear. The higher % numbers will give the best cornering performance, at the expense of straight-line braking and turn in feel. You will be paying for two piece front lower control arms to get these numbers. (many threads on this subject.)

Will need to check into this.

-Understeer: A car with understeer characteristics is generally faster, and certainly safer on track, especially for a less experienced driver.

Agreed. I'd rather control understeer with the throttle and some steering input, rather than the more challenging and risky task of controlling oversteer.

Keep tracking your car and you will find that lower lap times seem to come in plateau's: All of a sudden you will see a consistent drop in lap times, then after a period, another drop...

I've experienced this exact phenomenon with guitar, and I suspect the same occurs with development of all or most combined physical/mental skills. There are also the frustating times when performance worsens for a while, due to reduced concentration or just getting rusty from taking too much time off.
Responses in bold.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by utkinpol
on any tires try to keep hot pressures in area between 34 to 36 psi. keep rear axle 2psi max higher than fronts. 34f/36r is good.
you will feel how tire changes its grip when it approaches 40psi and goes over it.

adjust cold pressures as needed to have hot pressures where they should be.

Same question about why the recommended cold rear pressures are 44. Does the tire width and extra weight at the rear not factor in?

Old 06-07-2012, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos
yup.. i see a GT3 in your future Manifold

BTW my vote is to keep the pedal original.. and practice, practice, and more practice.
I've been eyeing the GT3 (997) for a while. Could be a good replacement for the CR, combining what I like in both the CR and 911 while adding more track focus.

I guess one advantage of continuing to practice h/t with the stock pedals is that it might be easier then to eventually do h/t in any car.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:50 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Same question about why the recommended cold rear pressures are 44. Does the tire width and extra weight at the rear not factor in?
Depends on the 997 model but those are pressures for a full load (2 passengers plus some luggage). Driver in the car alone is a few psi less (it's somewhere in the driver's manual).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How Much Have You Tracked Your 997?