997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.
View Poll Results: How Many Times Have You Tracked Your 997?
Never
50.00%
1 to 5 track days
23.75%
6 to 20 track days
15.00%
21 to 50 track days
7.50%
Over 50 track days
3.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

How Much Have You Tracked Your 997?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 08:17 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
How Much Have You Tracked Your 997?

Poll related to tracking your 997. Discussion regarding tracking experiences welcomed as well.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:26 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Sold the car in November, but had over 50 days on it

Old 05-27-2012, 05:45 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan
Sold the car in November, but had over 50 days on it
Sold the GT3 or C2S? I hope not the GT3!

Old 05-27-2012, 06:29 AM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
I am ashamed of my answer.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:47 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
I'm near fifty but not over. Maybe by the end of this year.

Still have lots and lots to learn. Car has been great since I got new engine due to IMS failure over three years ago. Most of the miles on the new engine (8000) are miles driving to the track and track miles. Sometimes I yearn for more power but I realize my skill is more important.

I've been on the track with some great cars and drivers. And I have met many nice people who are now good friends.

If you have never done it try it at least once. Awesome time.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:34 AM
Some questions for guys with a lot of 997 track experience:

- Do you turn PSM off?

- What is your experience with understeer and oversteer characteristics of the car?

- Have you ever spun? Any crashes?

- Have you increased the front or rear negative cambers?

- What mods do you consider essential for the track?

- Do you change the tire pressures relative to the standard cold pressures?

- Do you routinely heel/toe? Have you modified the pedals to make it easier?

Old 05-27-2012, 07:50 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Manifold

- Do you turn PSM off?

- What is your experience with understeer and oversteer characteristics of the car?

I leave PSM on.

I have never spun but I have gone off the track. Yes I have crashed. a vette spun right in front of me and came into my path.

I've increased negative camber with LCA.

No mods essential but suspension mods will help save tires. I think safety and suspension mods before power mods. Brake pads are a key mod IMO.

Tire pressure are monitored all day after every run and I set them in the morning lower before my first run.

I heel toe using the original method. I have rennline pedals but I can do h/t in any car now.

My biggest issues is still learning the dynamics of the car and getting to throttle as soon as possible. Also seeing thru the turns is hard for me. I'm old and wimpy.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:26 AM
xXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond repute
I've never tracked my 997 and I'm not ashamed.

J

Old 05-27-2012, 08:57 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Sold the GT3 or C2S? I hope not the GT3!
No, that was in the Carrera.

GT3 is a keeper, just finished a sunroof delete.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:14 AM

- Do you turn PSM off?

PSM off, although in the C2S it never really shuts off.

Under and Oversteer can be adjusted by varying the throttle amount.

I have only spun twice (both in my buddies 996GT3) but no crashes

I had a OEM ROW performance alignment and it was great for both city and street use.

Mods are not needed at first, but when you get more experienced, I really felt seats and harnesses were a huge helper, they keep you in the right place.

Tire pressure is always checked, figure out what cold pressure you need, but check pressure and how far you are rolling over on the tires.

I always rev match, even on the street, it has become habit. I have Rennline pedals with the Toe extension (cut the heal part off), very helpful in rev matching.

Last edited by NorthVan; 05-27-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by NorthVan
No, that was in the Carrera.

GT3 is a keeper, just finished a sunroof delete.
Agreed that the GT3 is a keeper. Yours looks awesome. I haven't ruled out the possibility of eventually getting a 997 GT3, and I have a feeling that the prices won't drop much, as has been the case with the 996 GT3.

How did your C2S hold up with all that track use?

Old 05-27-2012, 09:39 AM
Agreed that the GT3 is a keeper. Yours looks awesome. I haven't ruled out the possibility of eventually getting a 997 GT3, and I have a feeling that the prices won't drop much, as has been the case with the 996 GT3.

How did your C2S hold up with all that track use?
Thanks, the previous owner modded it very nicely, I have taken it a little further. The new 991GT3 will likely be very expensive, and will make a 997 look like a bargin. The pricing you see today is seasonal bump added with a car that is not available for another year in the new model.

It had a few problems, but I debated keeping it.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:21 AM
PasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to all
just got a 997.1S and I do plan on tracking it. had 10 or so days on my 996 over 2 seasons of ownership.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:59 AM
lowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud of
I have done PSDS and one DE with my 997 and absolutely loved it at both. However, I did have a friend flip in a car on the day of the DEand the only thing that saved him was the roll bar. After that I decided i am going to get a car for the track that is set up for safety and that I don't care about as much. So I bought the following 996 in addition to my 997. https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...new-996-a.html
Yesterday I replaced the K&B harness bar with an agency roll bar. Safety first :-)

Old 05-27-2012, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by lowpue
However, I did have a friend flip in a car on the day of the DEand the only thing that saved him was the roll bar. After that I decided i am going to get a car for the track that is set up for safety and that I don't care about as much.
Wow, that's scary. Do you know the circumstances that caused the flip?

Agreed that we should never forget the risks and need to give safety high priority.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How Much Have You Tracked Your 997?