997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Outdoor Car Cover ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 08:32 AM
griffinto is infamous around these parts
Outdoor Car Cover ?

We put are house on the market last Thursday and it sold within 2 days. We were a bit shocked how fast it went and know we have 45 days to get out of our house. We will be building our next home but will have to rent for 6 months before it is completed. The selection on rentals with garages is limited but most of them have carports. I'm concerned about parking my car outside since I never even take it out in the rain. I have seen outdoor car covers and had a few questions.
  • How easy is it to take on and off?
  • Can it be done in less than 5 minutes?
  • Do they make a car cover similar to the Porsche OEM without the logo? (I dont want to advertise whats under the cover)
  • Has anyone had issues with people vandalizing car because it is under a cover?

Any other experiences would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks,
Griffin

Old 05-28-2012, 10:07 AM
IslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of light
it takes practice but a cover can be installed or removed in less than a minute, you just need to have technique. I usually begin pulling the rear off and pull the cover as I walk around the car folding it onto the windshield. From there I roll it up on the windshield on the passenger side and stow it in the trunk. To install I just roll it out from the driver side, and again walk around to install. it makes the process fast and I never get "lost" turning the cover all sorts of ways on the car and it helps it from blowing on windy days.

if you don't like the OEM cover you can get custom fit ones from Griots or Covercraft. in my opinion it's still going to look like a 911 under the cover, but I too avoided the cover with the big Porsche crest on the hood.

I have had a cover stolen off my driveway once, and I have had a car get kicked once while under a cover, but it was parked in a shopping center at the time. It happens, but it's been rare.

Last edited by IslandS62; 05-28-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:10 AM
lowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud of
The problem with covers is you don't want to put them on when the car is dirty...I only use mine on clean cars. Otherwise the inside of the cover becomes abrasive.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by lowpue
The problem with covers is you don't want to put them on when the car is dirty...I only use mine on clean cars. Otherwise the inside of the cover becomes abrasive.
I have accepted that I may get swirls and hairline scratches in clear coat. I have a Flex Polisher and will perform a full paint restoration once I move back to a garage.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by IslandS62
it takes practice but a cover can be installed or removed in less than a minute, you just need to have technique. I usually pilot the rear off and pull the cover as I walk around the car folding it onto the windshield. From there I roll it up on the windshield on the passenger side and stow it in the trunk. To install I just roll it out from the driver side, and again walk around to install. it makes the process fast and I never get "lost" turning the cover all sorts of ways on the car and it helps it from blowing on windy days.

if you don't like the OEM cover you can get custom fit ones from Griots or Covercraft. in my opinion it's still going to look like a 911 under the cover, but I too avoided the cover with the big Porsche crest on the hood.

I have had a cover stolen off my driveway once, and I have had a car get kicked once while under a cover, but it was parked in a shopping center at the time. It happens, but it's been rare.
Great information, thanks for sharing.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:35 AM
b2sc is infamous around these parts
I've had good luck with Covercraft Evo4 covers. I've had 3 or 4 and have one for my 997 which occassionally sits outside while I'm using my garage for other tasks when I need the room). I keep one on my BMW 5 which sits outside all the time and it'll last 3-4 years until the Carolina sun deteriorates it enough to replace it.

These are custom fit w/mirror pockets which are critical to keeping the car cover on during windy days.