997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Keep factory radio or install a double din aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 12:08 PM
Izzycab has a spectacular aura aboutIzzycab has a spectacular aura about
Keep factory radio or install a double din aftermarket?

Ok, I have a 2005 997 with factory radio with nav. I really want sat radio, Bluetooth, Aux in or iPhone integration.
Should I try and add all this to the factory radio PCM, or just opt for a double din radio from Alpine, Kenwood or the like? Any experiences with aftermarket radios? Which ones are recommended or work best with our cars? Will cost be much less on a aftermarket system?
Also coming from a BMW, if you go aftermarket, you get all sorts of electrical problems. Is this the same for Porsche?

Old 05-30-2012, 12:29 PM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
The PCM 2.1 is such a waste of real state. You can go Dension 500 to try to maximize the features but other than that you are stuck with a touch-less interface, a full color display that only shows black, orange and grey and outdated navigation maps.
My plan is to replace the whole unit once apple introduces the smaller 7" iPad. Then I can have all the music, maps, internet, radio, video and OBD II apps... and even synch thru wifi without having to remove the ipad from the car....

Old 05-30-2012, 12:36 PM
killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JoelPirela
The PCM 2.1 is such a waste of real state. You can go Dension 500 to try to maximize the features but other than that you are stuck with a touch-less interface, a full color display that only shows black, orange and grey and outdated navigation maps.
My plan is to replace the whole unit once apple introduces the smaller 7" iPad. Then I can have all the music, maps, internet, radio, video and OBD II apps... and even synch thru wifi without having to remove the ipad from the car....
your problem then becomes integrating the ipad into the stereo system. you'll still need a headunit or an aux input into the pcm to control your ipad. you'll also have to figure out how to mount it.

OP- i would say you're better off with an aftermarket HU. the pcm in your car is 7 years old and far from cutting edge. it'll cost you an arm and a leg buying modules to get all the features you want integrated into the PCM so i would say you're better off replacing it with a new HU. i would recommend kenwood, pioneer, or alpine. i've had good experiences with all 3. currently i like the kenwoods because of their tom tom navigation.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:53 PM
PasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to all
I have an avic z3 in my (new to me) 997S. I inspected the wiring in the trunk and looks like the shop installed it by reusing the wiring from the bose amp so that the MOST part is eliminated. I like having BT, NAV, Ipod controls, XM etc. but if it was up to me I would keep the OE look and just add a dension. Also - going after market is going to be way more expensive the a dension.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:36 PM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not adding an iPad to the PCM 2.1. I'm replacing the PCM with an iPad. (when they release the smaller version later this year)

Old 05-30-2012, 01:38 PM
gonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm looking to get a unit for mine. I recently had my car in the shop to get new brake pads, fluid flush, and Sport Mode Software install. Porsche gave me as a loaner a brand new Cayenne S Hybrid for the weekend and it had a really nice unit.

I'll have to look into the AVIC Z3. Does it require another antenna?

Old 05-30-2012, 01:42 PM
PasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to all
requires a GPS Antenna... not sure where mine was placed. The z3 is now a few years old and has been replaced with more modern units but its still does what I need it to do. Incredibly it was over 2k when new + complex install... for that price, why not just order NAV + dension?

Old 05-30-2012, 01:56 PM
gonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm actually interested in a unit that'll provide navigation plus satellite radio.

My car has this AM antenna the original owner had placed (Porsche option in '07 I guess) on the roof - I replaced the whip with a stubby. I'm thinking a nice flat mount (low visibility) GPS antenna or the like would cover that nicely. The PCM unit is $2395 and that's just for the navigation module.

Do aftermarket units use an external antenna?

Last edited by gonz996; 05-30-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:16 PM
Looking at the kenwood line of DVD navigation units. Looks like it has everything for about $800

Old 05-30-2012, 05:01 PM
Goldduster is infamous around these parts
I had a Kenwood on my 996 and really liked the Garmin Nav. The antenna ran inside the frunk just under the windshield. Currently have a mobridge in my 997, but wouldn't hesitate with the Dension, Eric at Bumperplug is a great source, call him for advice also.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:48 PM
I think I'm just gonna add a aux input and run sirius and pandora from my iPhone.
Found this to be one of the cheapest solutions
http://isimplesolutions.com/universa...nzIt-IS77.aspx
Anyone have this or any experience with it?

Old 05-31-2012, 05:28 AM
JPSJR is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JoelPirela
Joel you forgot the colors tan, green, and white...... Lmao!! I agree with you the PCM 2.1 is so aged and dull, I'm surprised that they haven't come up with a solution to update the software inside.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:50 AM
Remember that if you replace the headunit and dont replace the speakers - sound quality will suffer.