997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Looking At Buying 997 Convertible... Your Input Needed!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 12:23 PM
paradigm is infamous around these parts
Looking At Buying 997 Convertible... Your Input Needed!

Hi!

Decided I want a Porsche 100% -- 997 Convertible! Based in Southern Europe.

Ideal specs:
Exterior - White
Interior - Black
Automatic Transmission
2008+ model
PDK (is it worth it? do you like it?)

How do you folks who OWN 997s like the car? What pros or cons could you give me about the car? How is PDK?

I can't seem to get an idea of what is a good "price figure" and determine a GOOD package. Cars in the EU are overpriced compared to back in North America.

Here's a site that many EU folks use ... I've already done the pre-filtering too:

http://suchen.mobile.de/auto/porsche...Cabrio&lang=en

Which one here do you think looks ideal?

Old 06-14-2012, 01:21 PM
chudso is infamous around these parts
If your getting an auto you should go with '09 and up. PDK is much better than tiptronic, which started with the 997.2.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:52 PM
kkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nice
where in the eu are you looking? italy has deals if you have the time and inclination to search them out, also check www.autoscout24.de , they also cover all of europe, good luck!

Old 06-14-2012, 01:58 PM
kkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nice
by the way, there IS no substitute...

Old 06-14-2012, 02:20 PM
Katera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really nice
I like my 09 PDK Vert a lot. Plus I like the looks of the 997.2 more then the .1. There was a LOT of changes from 08-09 to make it worth it to jump up imo. That cars are great, fast, handle well, lots of interior room. What's not to like? The only problem you might have is finding one with low miles in decent shape. The 997.2 are at a premium right now.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:27 PM
stevefrommn has a spectacular aura aboutstevefrommn has a spectacular aura aboutstevefrommn has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Katera
I like my 09 PDK Vert a lot. Plus I like the looks of the 997.2 more then the .1. There was a LOT of changes from 08-09 to make it worth it to jump up imo. That cars are great, fast, handle well, lots of interior room. What's not to like? The only problem you might have is finding one with low miles in decent shape. The 997.2 are at a premium right now.
+1
The 997.2 engines are much stronger than the 997.1. I don't think PDK was available in the 997.1.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:47 PM
Thanks for replies!

- I checked autoscout -- also looking at mobile.de... some promise, not much lol. I was also told to becareful of cars in Italy because lots of dealerships are shady there?

- 09 PDK is what I'm more or less looking at right now. Good to hear most of you are in unanimous agreement.

- I'm looking right now mainly thru those 2 sites... particularly at GR & FR.

- What kind of price bracket should I be looking at, and ideal kilometers?

Old 06-14-2012, 03:42 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
The 997 cab is great. A true sports car, while also a great DD and a joy with the top down.

As others have noted, PDK is much better than tiptronic ... though manual is best.

The 997.2 is definitely improved over the 997.1, but I could be happy with a 997.1 too and the difference isn't dramatic. Even the 996 is pretty darn good.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by Manifold
The 997 cab is great. A true sports car, while also a great DD and a joy with the top down.

As others have noted, PDK is much better than tiptronic ... though manual is best.

The 997.2 is definitely improved over the 997.1, but I could be happy with a 997.1 too and the difference isn't dramatic. Even the 996 is pretty darn good.

Hey,

Thanks for the reply.

How does it compare to the 911 Turbo Convertible?

Also... what are the best color/scheme preferences for Porsches usually?

I was thinking white ext, black int... but curious to see what others think.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:12 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by paradigm
Hey,

Thanks for the reply.

How does it compare to the 911 Turbo Convertible?

Also... what are the best color/scheme preferences for Porsches usually?

I was thinking white ext, black int... but curious to see what others think.
The turbo has rocket thrust after you get past the turbo lag. Fun, but personally I'm happy with the more linear response of the non-turbo engines. The turbo almost seems excessive on the road, and I don't see a lot of turbos at the track (though cost could be a factor in that).

The color preference is subjective, so I suggest that you just go with what you like best.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by Manifold
The turbo has rocket thrust after you get past the turbo lag. Fun, but personally I'm happy with the more linear response of the non-turbo engines. The turbo almost seems excessive on the road, and I don't see a lot of turbos at the track (though cost could be a factor in that).

The color preference is subjective, so I suggest that you just go with what you like best.
Are there particular popular color schemes that do well as far as resale value? That's what I guess I was more or less trying to figure out.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:09 PM
Are there particular popular color schemes that do well as far as resale value? That's what I guess I was more or less trying to figure out.
I guess the more 'neutral' colors generally make resale easier, but I don't know the trends in southern Europe. And don't worry so much about resale, you're buying the car for you, not the next guy.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:02 AM
tsammann has a spectacular aura abouttsammann has a spectacular aura about
997 Cab

Color preferences are certainly personal, but triple black is a perennial favorite (and my personal favorite) that holds up well in resale. A bit more challenging to keep clean, but there's nothing quite like a gleaming black car in the sun!

Best of luck!

Old 06-15-2012, 02:40 PM
belgium too far north for you? i've seen a few decent cars there, germany seems to have the highest prices, , , you gotta look at all of 'em, thats a blast too!

Old 06-15-2012, 02:41 PM
creme or meteor grey cab with cocoa top and cocoa or nat brown interior, oo oo baby...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looking At Buying 997 Convertible... Your Input Needed!