997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

06 997 S won't start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 05:25 PM
DJS
DJS is infamous around these parts
06 997 S won't start

hey guys,
Well... FULL SERVICE only 1K miles ago by one of the best in LA... total confidence in the guy. But about a week ago I was exiting a steep driveway, and BONK, the back end seemed to smack on concrete--it wasn't THAT loud or terrible sounding, but what do you think? I drove all day today flawlessly and aggressively, then--ZIP... nada in the driveway. Engine ignites but won't turn. Thoughts?

Old 06-17-2012, 06:58 PM
DJS
Answer

Friend of mine suggested resetting the alarm. No problem now, started right up. German engineering! Posting this in case anyone else is a goofball...

Old 06-17-2012, 08:16 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
What does "engine ignites but won't turn" mean?

Old 06-18-2012, 11:23 AM
MYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really nice
How about it turns over but won't fire?

Old 06-18-2012, 11:41 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GOLENJEEPTJ
How about it turns over but won't fire?
Sounds right...still can't figure out why the alarm would have anything to do with this problem.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:55 AM
Boosted Josh is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Sounds right...still can't figure out why the alarm would have anything to do with this problem.
immobilizer not letting the car crank is my guess.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by Boosted Josh
immobilizer not letting the car crank is my guess.
Probably - if the switch didn't recognize the transponder chip would the car crank or just do nothing when the key was turned?

Old 06-18-2012, 06:56 PM
DJS
I meant engine tries to turn but does not.

It didn't makes sense. I had in fact reset the alarm twice before resetting it a third time--when it turned over and started. When I posted my 2nd post in this thread, I was pretty frustrated and reported the events incorrectly--as I actually forgot that I had already reset it. I locked the car, and went away for about 30 mins. Came back, would not start. Locked it again. Went away another 30. Would not start. Then my friend came over, pressed the lock/unlock key a few times--and voila. And that's when I reported what happened. What do you think it was now that you have the full picture? I thought maybe the computer just blipped? And finally cleared?

Old 06-19-2012, 07:56 AM
Boosted Josh is infamous around these parts
I'm not sure how the factory alarm works or if it would store any codes if it thought there was a fault.

I might try to either take it to a dealer or shop that can pull any codes and clear them (or just unplug the battery), and also try your other key to see if that makes a difference.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:59 AM
DJS
Thank you

appreciate the feedback--

One thing I left out was--after my last service--my mechanic forgot to reset the service now mssg--so it is on every day. Maybe that had something to do with the 'lockout'. But anyway--seems fine now, and I'll have that mssg reset this wek.

Old 06-23-2012, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by DJS
appreciate the feedback--

One thing I left out was--after my last service--my mechanic forgot to reset the service now mssg--so it is on every day. Maybe that had something to do with the 'lockout'. But anyway--seems fine now, and I'll have that mssg reset this wek.
Message has nothing to do with your "lockout".