997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Snapped headlight bulb

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 11:27 AM
Austex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud of
Snapped headlight bulb

When I was installing my bumper cover and was removing the headlights, I accidentally snapped off the bolt that holds the headlight in place. I was able to get the bumper cover on without removing the passenger side headlight, but now if I ever need to change out the headlight bulb, I think that it is going to be a major pain. Has this happened to anyone here before? Here is a picture of the bolt that I am talking about:

Old 06-18-2012, 11:53 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
This looks like the part of the lock mechanism that you rotate 90 degrees to unlock the headlamp assembly correct? If so did it break off the locking mechanism - I would think that could be replaced. Did it break after you got the headlamp locked into place? Remove the other side and look at the mechanism and you might be able to see what needs to be replaced.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:39 PM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
Wow you must have forced it real good to break that

Old 06-18-2012, 12:40 PM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
Did you actually brek it or the headlamp

Old 06-18-2012, 02:44 PM
Austex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud of
The head of the bolt came out with the socket. The headlight is locked in place. Anyone ever replace the locking mechanism before?

Old 06-18-2012, 04:33 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I had the same issue on my Touareg, it is a PITA system using a weak cast metal. I think that you have your work cut out for you when you need to get to the light or bumper.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:28 PM
Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Austex911
The head of the bolt came out with the socket. The headlight is locked in place. Anyone ever replace the locking mechanism before?
Bolt? Sure it wasn't just the sleeve? Use the tool in the tool kit in frunk.

The true part holding the headlight pod in place is not a bolt but a clamping bow w/ a allen key head (which I still see in your picture so you should be fine). Removal tool in your frunk tool kit attaches onto for turning... yes it will reach all the way in there. As you can see, the sheet metal collar in there sort of prevents anything else but it from getting in.

Once the headlight pod is out, it's fairly easy to replace clamping bow by removing the c-clip/locking washer holding it from lateral movement in the tray. Once clip removed, you slide it a bit towards the middle of vehicle releasing outside from tray slot. Then the whole bow slides back out towards front of vehicle.

If your removal tool is stripped, just order a new one or find a really thin walled and long nutdriver (5mm IIRC?) to sneak past the collar and reach the bow. However, if clamping bow is stripped/broken (which is honestly doesn't look like), removal will likely require taking off wheel, wheel well liner and releasing the clamping bow from the back/underside.

Clamping bow is #10 is this image:

Part # needed for new bow is 997.631.273.01 - same on each side.

Here's a link to page from factory parts catalog if you need more help. http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...-08/905-00.php

Good luck

Last edited by Burg Boxster; 06-18-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:16 PM
This is exactly the info that I was looking for. The picture above is not of the one that is broken. The bow clamp (item #10 in the diagram) is what broke off all the way to the first elbow. Looks like I will have to go the route of removing the wheel and lining to remove and replace the clamp. I appreciate your help.

Last edited by Austex911; 06-19-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:32 AM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
Wait, don't dismantle your car yet. A lot of times, you can just pull the headlight assembly out of its socket by curling your fingertips (both hands) around the edge of the headlight to get a grip. I've done this a bunch of times without messing with that rotating lock thing (all it does it slide the headlight in and out a centimeter anyway).

Old 06-19-2012, 10:39 AM
That sounds like it would be the easiest thing to do, but I would hate to bust the socket as well.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:28 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gasongasoff
Wait, don't dismantle your car yet. A lot of times, you can just pull the headlight assembly out of its socket by curling your fingertips (both hands) around the edge of the headlight to get a grip. I've done this a bunch of times without messing with that rotating lock thing (all it does it slide the headlight in and out a centimeter anyway).
The mechanism actually does lock the assembly in addition to pushing it out for easy access. If it didn't lock you'd have headlamps popping out on sudden stops. You can hear and feel it lock when you turn the socket.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:43 AM
So is the general consensus that I should be able to just pull on the light hard to pop it out?

Old 06-19-2012, 12:15 PM
Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !
Nope... not a good idea in general to try it this way b/c you don't want to break any mounting tabs on the headlight pod (or pull the lens off ). Aside from that, you could snap the connector plug ($no idea) or the mounting tray ($110). Search ebay for Porsche xenon lights and see how many will confirm all mounting tabs are located or don't mention (implying it might be hot). Stealing HIDs isn't nearly as common as it once was, thank goodness. Regardless, the halogen pod is ~ $500 to replace... HID will be close to triple.

Now, because in your specific instance the clamping bow is snapped (not exactly sure where) you could try gently wiggling/pulling on it to see if it will release. That said, I wouldn't pull any harder than if were properly released w/ the tool b/c of potential incremental damage/expense.

Personally, it'd take me at most 20 min more to remove wheel and liner to do it right (even getting my wheel mounting guides out, etc.). Suspect the same for you with recent experience installing a bumper skin. Your car and obviously your call but a clamping bow is < $7.

Good luck

Old 06-19-2012, 03:27 PM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
Oh, no kidding, better not then, could be expensive. Probably not worth the risk if you can easily remove your wheel and rear panel. To be fair, I've actually done this on two different 997's without a problem, and it really doesn't take that much force (which was surprising). You're pulling straight out, not angled. That rotating bar thing is essentially doing the same thing - pushing the headlight assembly forward along a track about a centimeter before it slides out freely. But probably beter safe than sorry.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:26 PM
I appreciate the feedback. I'm going to do it the hard way and remove wheel, liner, etc.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Snapped headlight bulb