997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

19in Sport Design Wheels vs. 19in Turbo Wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 12:34 PM
jsimon77 is infamous around these parts
19in Sport Design Wheels vs. 19in Turbo Wheels

I just got a 09 C2S cab blk/blk that came with the 19 Sport Design Wheels and brand new Continental Contact 3's.

I'm trying to decide of I should keep the set up I have or get the 19in Turbo wheels instead? I'd put the new tires on those wheels.

I know it's a person taste thing but I'd love your opinions.

Jason

Old 06-18-2012, 10:33 PM
PSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
Jason,

First of all, let me congratulate you on your "new" car!

I happen to be a fan of the Sport Design wheels. Let me explain what I like about them, then take a look at your wheels, and see if you agree with me...

The Sport Design wheels have 15 spokes, and you might think this quite busy, but it's in fact a very clever design: there are really five main spokes; between these are smaller "V"s whose apexes curve inwards towards each of the five lug nuts. So there is a lot of detail to appreciate in these wheels.

From a distance, I think the multiple spokes invoke the idea of a turbine with its many vanes, and this implies performance. The spokes are sculpted so they catch the light very nicely in 3/4 view, giving depth to the wheels. This depth implies that there is something powerful on the other side-- a high revving, high performance engine.

Contrast this with the Turbo wheels, which are somewhat two dimensional. The flat surface of each starfish shaped wheel is accentuated by painting the sides of the spokes and inside of the wheel darker. Keep in mind, you tend to look at a car from an angle most of the time, and these wheels, IMHO, look like flat sheets of aluminum, almost like hub cap covers. Also, I don't understand the design justification for the whimsical curvy cut-outs in the spokes-- why are these weight reducing cut-outs asymmetrical? Is it supposed to convey rotational motion when the car is standing still? If so, on one side of the car, the wheels appear to "spin" in one direction, but on the other side of the car, the wheels will appear to "spin" in the opposite direction. Porsche should have made these wheels directional-- one set for the left side, and one set for the right side.

I know the Turbo wheels are lighter because they are forged, but from an aesthetic perspective, I feel that the Sport Design wheels confer a solid powerful high-tech appearance, while managing to look upscale at same time.

Now, I understand there are many folks who like the Turbo wheels, and there are other great wheels out there which lend their own character to the car, but I just wanted to share my positive perspective on the Sport Design wheels.

Finally, if you're going to replace the heavier cast Sport Design wheels for performance reasons, why not consider other aftermarket forged wheels?

Old 06-18-2012, 10:37 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Sport Design wheels look great, I had a set in black, but they were a pain to wash. Turbo wheels won't be much better.

Keep what you have, Turbo wheels are ugly IMO.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:37 PM
Wow....what a great and thoughtful response. Thanks so much for taking the time to write all of that. I do see what you are saying. I'm going to sit with them and see what sets in

Old 06-19-2012, 12:09 AM
seapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of light
I got some other wheels that were never or lightly used (19 inch forged Vorsteiner's; 18 inch Forgestar F14 for track) Both in gunmetal because it is hard to clean those sport design wheels. I have kept mine in a box in storage for the future. Something else to think about. Oh, I almost forget 19 Ultralegerra's in black with winter tires, too. I am running out of storage...

Old 06-19-2012, 06:47 AM
THFisher is infamous around these parts
My Slate Gray '07 C4S Cabrio came with factory Sport Design 19" wheels and I just recently replaced them with 19" Ruger Mesh Hypersilver wheels. Wow! What a difference in appearance. I never really liked the Sport Design wheels because I tought they looked somewhat "wussy", like they were made for people who drive their Porsches to and from the country club. The Ruger Mesh wheels completely change the look and attitude of the car... much more aggressive and the concave spoke design is very cool.
IMHO, ditch the Sport Design and go with the Ruger Mesh.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:21 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
I had the turbo wheels and they are awesome for several reasons. Don't know the size of the sport design wheel, but the turbos are 8.5" in front versus 8" for most normal OEM wheels (SD might also be wider in the front, I don't remember). Also, if you get the turbo OEM wheel, the offsets are wide body, which perfectly fit a narrow body car, but give you a wider track. Also, turbo wheels are forged, which is huge for strength. The design is very open, so they are VERY easy to clean. (It is really easy to slip a rag into the little veins to clean them as well. The finish is clear coated and is incredibly low maintenance. They are Porsche wheels, there is no substitute for OEM.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:28 AM
Rotor is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by northvan

keep what you have, turbo wheels are ugly imo.
+1

Old 06-20-2012, 04:57 PM
Former Vendor
MishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond repute
turbos for me

Old 06-21-2012, 01:01 PM
KIRKIN is a name known to allKIRKIN is a name known to allKIRKIN is a name known to allKIRKIN is a name known to allKIRKIN is a name known to allKIRKIN is a name known to all
Love the sport design wheels

Old 06-21-2012, 02:20 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ryem3
I had the turbo wheels and they are awesome for several reasons. Don't know the size of the sport design wheel, but the turbos are 8.5" in front versus 8" for most normal OEM wheels (SD might also be wider in the front, I don't remember). Also, if you get the turbo OEM wheel, the offsets are wide body, which perfectly fit a narrow body car, but give you a wider track. Also, turbo wheels are forged, which is huge for strength. The design is very open, so they are VERY easy to clean. (It is really easy to slip a rag into the little veins to clean them as well. The finish is clear coated and is incredibly low maintenance. They are Porsche wheels, there is no substitute for OEM.
X2. I d probably just keep what you got until you are sure anyway.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:32 PM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
Turbo II for me, looks more agressive. Otoh, Sport design looks classier.

What color is your car?

Old 06-22-2012, 09:20 AM
The car is blk/blk/blk.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:53 PM
Clay1G is a glorious beacon of lightClay1G is a glorious beacon of lightClay1G is a glorious beacon of lightClay1G is a glorious beacon of lightClay1G is a glorious beacon of light
I like the turbo rims and seriously considering them for my car.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:51 PM
IslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of light
I just installed turbo rims on my car last week.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 19in Sport Design Wheels vs. 19in Turbo Wheels