997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Are Two Children in a 997 Really Feasible for DD?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 01:03 PM
tiyyara is infamous around these parts
As someone who likes his cars, and I a little obsessed as JAck667. I would give you a short answer. No.
In my opinion, get the 911, get a slightly older one, and keep the M3
Easier said than done, last I checked printing money was a federal offense.
:-)

Old 06-19-2012, 03:01 PM
p's pcar is infamous around these partsp's pcar is infamous around these parts
Feasible yes. I DD my 997 and have a 3 1/2 year old. I think it'd be easier for you if you waited until your youngest were a little older (like around 2) so they are a little more helpful in getting in and out. I like the ability of just reaching back and being able to buckle him in/out with one hand straight from the driver's seat.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:45 PM
Malexgcab is infamous around these partsMalexgcab is infamous around these parts
It'll be easier if you kids can get in and out on their own. My 4.5 year old boy loves the Pcar and he gets in, closes the door, buckles himself. No booster seat since his school is less than 5 minutes.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:23 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Practical = no

Doable = yes

I wouldn't do it if I were you, it'll be a pain if you have to bend over and buckle them up. My 9 year old hops in and out with no problems. I also have a 4 year old and an infant, they don't ride in the Porsche. I have a MDX and minivan for that. I would keep the M3 until your kids gets older.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:58 PM
muerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to all
I did it with 2 year old and 4 year old. Comes down to the seats. Otherwise, not too different than a 4 door, with the exception that you need a back that can bend in and connect the latches...

Old 06-20-2012, 04:54 AM
cavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to behold
I do it with a 5,6, and 8 YO in different combinations. They are all in booster seats, which makes it easier. It still requires some bending and twisting to get their seatbelts connected.

To give you some sense, I always pick my car instead of my wife's minivan when I want to go somewhere with only two kids. So driving the Porsche is worth the extra hassle by far in my opinion.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:08 AM
BlackBeastM3 is infamous around these parts
Thanks for talking some sense into me. It looks like I'll wait until my youngest is able to fit in a booster seat. Until then, I'll still dream for a little longer...

Old 06-20-2012, 10:53 AM
thebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nice
Originally Posted by BlackBeastM3
I currently drive an E90 M3 as my DD. Since it has four doors and it suits my needs well. However I've always wanted a 997 and considering trading my M3 for a 911. I love the performance of the M3 but I want a true sports car. The 911 is really catching my eye and might make the move. I would love to have both cars, but can only swing one for now. I have two children 1 y/o and 3 1/2 yo that I would need to drop off at school daily.

Would I be able to fit both kids comfortably in the 911? I would like to know how much of a pain it is to get them secured in the back seats and how cramped they would be? I'm 6' tall. Is this wishful thinking or should I just keep the 4 door M3 which is more practical?
If you want to **** up your car, do so in the winter with all the salt and snow. I drop mine to school on occasion (7 yrs old) and she manages to get dirt even as careful as she can be. It's a hassle on rainy days, too.

Booster seats and car seats are a hassle as mentioned above. My 7 year old doesn't use a booster as the shoulder belt is perfectly fitted in the smaller rear seat. On the other hand, after a night out of dining, we did fit a couple another adult couple in the rear seats who weren't able to drive home.

Get your wife on board to do so or a nanny.

Last edited by thebland; 06-20-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:09 AM
MBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by thebland
If you want to **** up your car, do so in the winter with all the salt and snow. I drop mine to school on occasion (7 yrs old) and she manages to get dirt even as careful as she can be. It's a hassle on rainy days, too.

Booster seats and car seats are a hassle as mentioned above. My 7 year old doesn't use a booster as the shoulder belt is perfectly fitted in the smaller rear seat. On the other hand, after a night out of dining, we did fit a couple another adult couple in the rear seats who weren't able to drive home.

Get your wife on board to do so or a nanny.
This!

thebland, you managed to get another couple back there? LOL, I was asked once, I told them it isn't a clown car and I can't sit with my seat up.

OP, Stick with the M3. It seems that you've always dreamed of a Porsche. I can tell you right now that you will be 'that guy' going nuts after noticing all the dirt the kids leave behind. Not to mentions spills, dirty shoes, mud, wet feet on seats, etc.

You're just asking for trouble. You even mentioned getting a POS beater as a DD, why you would get a POS only to drive the 911 on weekends/dry conditions, not worth it.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:28 AM
slick911 has a spectacular aura aboutslick911 has a spectacular aura about
I'd say feasible with some "tolerance". You know how it is with the M3 to load and unload the young one. Lifting at arms length is quite difficult. Even more so with a two door. I have two kids and my first kid I had to load/unload into a two door. Needless to say my back didn't lasted very long and so went the two door. Just my $.002. Make sure the dealer throw in a back brace.
GL with your decision.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:25 AM
august7th is infamous around these parts
DD is a 911 cabrio. I drop the kids (5 and 7) off at school each day and sometimes pick them up. No issues, both still using a booster. Not sure what age they won't fit back there anymore but for now they love it. 7 year old will move up front soon, so I've got a couple more years at least.

Old 06-23-2012, 02:25 PM
Katera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really nice
Originally Posted by BlackBeastM3
I currently drive an E90 M3 as my DD. Since it has four doors and it suits my needs well. However I've always wanted a 997 and considering trading my M3 for a 911. I love the performance of the M3 but I want a true sports car. The 911 is really catching my eye and might make the move. I would love to have both cars, but can only swing one for now. I have two children 1 y/o and 3 1/2 yo that I would need to drop off at school daily.

Would I be able to fit both kids comfortably in the 911? I would like to know how much of a pain it is to get them secured in the back seats and how cramped they would be? I'm 6' tall. Is this wishful thinking or should I just keep the 4 door M3 which is more practical?

No way lol

Old 06-24-2012, 09:28 AM
Banned
semicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond repute
For occaisonal short hauls you'll be fine. Daily commute with kids in the rear? Probably not. Yes you can make everyone fit. No they will not be comfortable.

When I load my coupe with the wife and two kids, age 11 and 8, the 8 year old brings a pillow to sit on because the ride is so stiff. The 11 year old's knees are very cramped - think tall guy in an airplane type of cramped. This is with the wife in the passenger seat, seat pulled forward most of the way, and the 11 year old behind her.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:55 AM
cfos is infamous around these parts
Like Mark said (hi Mark!), I have a short commute to daycare and I have a 3.5 yo and 15 month old. It is doable and it is made easier with the programmable front seat (have my comfortable setting and the driving kids setting). The 15 month old is in a front facing Britax and is behind the passenger seat. My Wife is about 5'7" and sits in the passenger seat and it is doable for short distances with all 4 of usn the car. I put the 3.5 yo behind me and can do the short trips (Recaro).

Having said that, we take my Wife's car whenever I (or the family) go somewhere.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:58 AM
Vintage TONE has a spectacular aura aboutVintage TONE has a spectacular aura aboutVintage TONE has a spectacular aura about
I also have 2 children. My son just turned 4 and my daughter is 18 months. My wife has a Town and Country minivan as her daily driver and it is awesome with the kids.

My daily driver is a new Grand Cherokee. Just picked it up last week actually. Anyway, my 911 is pretty much a toy for me to enjoy and to get away in sometimes. The perfect toy.

Now, I understand everyones situation is different, but in my opinion, having the 911 as a daily driver WITH 2 kids might take some of the fun out of it. The kids at the age you have require juice and toys while driving. They require bags for all the gear too. Honestly I would probably keep the M3 or even trade it for a lesser valued suv. Then save up some and buy a 911. Have both?

Last edited by Vintage TONE; 06-24-2012 at 11:29 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Are Two Children in a 997 Really Feasible for DD?