997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

How to Remove Rear View Mirror?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 04:57 PM
PSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
How to Remove Rear View Mirror?

Does anyone know how to remove the rear view mirror? So far, I've removed the plastic housing that covers the mirror post, but want to be cautious about what I do next. I don't want to separate the glue from the wind-shield, and thought there must be a way for the mirror post to un-clip or slide off?

Old 06-20-2012, 06:10 PM
spiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud of
sorry, i dont know but if you dont get an answer, your best bet is to stop by a safelite repair shop and ask.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:08 PM
PSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the suggestion. I think I figured it out...

Here are the steps:

1. Remove the black plastic housing that covers the mirror post. This is two plastic pieces. Sitting in the car looking forward, the left half of this housing fits OVER the right half. So pry this off from the RIGHT by pushing something underneath the left half. Try to do this just below the part where the wires enter the housing from the roof panel. You might want to squeezing the right half a little to help release the molded plastic clips inside the housing edges. Once this is loose, you should be able to open it up like a clam-shell.

2. With the housing cover removed, you will see the mirror post attached to the windshield. There is a metal bracket on both sides clamping onto the base in grooves. The mirror post looks like it will simply slide off these grooves, if you press downwards towards the windshield, but it is too tight. Also, there are wires connected to it, and they would break. So do not attempt to slide this out.

3. There is a little electronic chip with the light diode on the bottom of the assembly. This chip slides out easily by gently pushing on it, downwards towards the widshield. Be careful not to break the delicate wires. There are other wires connected to the mirror post from the back by a connector plug, but this connector plug can not be removed yet.

4. Take a thin small flat-head screwdriver, slide it between the left metal bracket and the mirror post, and gently twist the screwdriver to pry the bracket up, out of the groove. Brace a small thin cardboard between the screwdriver edge so you don't damage the plastic. The metal bracket will start to come up out of the grove, and the mirror and post will be angled away from the windshield. Adjust your screwdriver and continue to pry the bracket up further while gently pulling on the mirror, being careful not to scratch or damage the plastic groove. The mirror will simply pop out. But don't yank on it or let it drop.

5. The wires and connector plug will still be attached. The plug pivots freely, and there are two tiny clips on the left and right of the black connector plug. The female portion of the plug is attached to the mirror, while the male portion is attached to the wires from the headliner. Use a tiny flat head screwdriver (like the kind used for eye-glasses repair) to gently pry both sides of the female connector plug up, so the clips on the male plug are released. Then slide the male portion out.

6. The mirror and all wiring will now be free!

UPDATE: I documented these steps with pictures here...
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-creaking.html

Last edited by PSPorsche; 07-05-2012 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Added link to DIY