997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Down the Rabbit Hole - Forced Induction and other mods

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 03:30 PM
gonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond repute
That's a really good value.

Originally Posted by Super Adjuster
So, if I were to finish the TechArt look and get the TPC turbo, this would be one heck of a mean machine! If you add all this up plus the $55K I paid for the car, we are getting close to 997TT territory, but not quite. I really don't think there is a turbo cab out there as clean and well optioned as mine any where near $70K-75K. Maybe I'm wrong though, and I should check it out further.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:09 PM
Austex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud of
Have you talked to Len at German Auto Center in North Austin? His shop does mods as well.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:42 PM
Super Adjuster has a spectacular aura aboutSuper Adjuster has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Austex911
Have you talked to Len at German Auto Center in North Austin? His shop does mods as well.
I haven't heard of them, but I will be giving them a call Monday to see if they are interested in this project. Do you have experience with them? Any other Austin Porsche secrets you want to let me in on?

Old 06-22-2012, 06:22 PM
MBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud of
Where did you get the techart lip? I can't seem to find one.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:24 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Take it to a shop that knows Porsche, even if it costs you a little more. It makes no sense to try and save a few dollars on a car and mods worth as much as yours.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:42 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !

But I just saw a post for H&R springs for $299 that give a 1.2" drop. Sounds like a good price, but that might be too much of a drop. Especially if I add the TechArt lip and side skirts back to the mix. Any thoughts on this?
It will be very low, you have to be careful. Mine is a weekend warrior so I am not too worry about it.

So, if I were to finish the TechArt look and get the TPC turbo, this would be one heck of a mean machine! If you add all this up plus the $55K I paid for the car, we are getting close to 997TT territory, but not quite. I really don't think there is a turbo cab out there as clean and well optioned as mine any where near $70K-75K. Maybe I'm wrong though, and I should check it out further.
Whatever mods you get, it will be cheaper than trading it in for TT cab. Plus you get to surprised Z06, lambos, etc.

Originally Posted by NorthVan
Take it to a shop that knows Porsche, even if it costs you a little more. It makes no sense to try and save a few dollars on a car and mods worth as much as yours.
Totally agree, I would not trust anyone to install it unless they have installed it a few times. Call TPC and asked for recommendations, it is free. I would rather drive it a little further or even ship it to another state to have it done right.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:12 AM
Super Adjuster has a spectacular aura aboutSuper Adjuster has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by MBENZF1
Where did you get the techart lip? I can't seem to find one.
That TechArt lip was on the car at 9K miles and for some of the car’s life up to the point it became for sale and I bought it. I suspect it had a nasty death and was removed. I definitely want to replace it and I have a line on one right now along with the side skirts. I will keep the slick TechArt stage 1 spoiler.

Originally Posted by Ynot
It will be very low, you have to be careful. Mine is a weekend warrior so I am not too worry about it.
Regarding H&R Springs and 1.2" drop:
I think I agree that it sounds too low, especially if I get the lip. I will probably try to do the lip first and see if I can live with or even need a drop. That picture with the lip is undeniably awesome.

Whatever mods you get, it will be cheaper than trading it in for TT cab. Plus you get to surprised Z06, lambos, etc.
I like the sound of that. (Z06 Surprise)

Totally agree, I would not trust anyone to install it unless they have installed it a few times. Call TPC and asked for recommendations, it is free. I would rather drive it a little further or even ship it to another state to have it done right.
You guys are definitely right. If I can find a place in Dallas or SA that has done at least one, they should move to first choice unless I don’t like their style. I have actually thought about this some, and I definitely find some value in having a local shop (that is competent) give it a shot. That way I have tons of follow up support if there is a problem down the line. Dallas and SA shops would have a similar value because they are within a couple of hours. But towing the car to the shop for some reason sounds like some BS if it comes down to that. An out of state shop would have to have some major experience with a 100% guarantee that I get a car back to me that drives like a peach for 40K miles minimum.

Hardware analysis to follow...

Last edited by Super Adjuster; 06-23-2012 at 12:15 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:20 AM
Ynot,

I just noticed your signature. What does 450 tq mean to you and your car. Can you tell me about the pull and performance?

Old 06-23-2012, 05:11 AM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan
No, paint your wall

i c same sheit different day.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:48 AM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
To the OP, my opinion is to buy a 997 Turbo Cab, forget the big ticket mod, and go
with what will work, hassle free.
Sometimes the more expensive path turns out to be the cheapest. The factory turbo engine will be more reliable. Three years down the road there will most likely be a substantial price delta between the two cars. A Carrera S with a kit engine will be selling to a narrow market. Many potential buyers will be wondering how much abuse the engine was subjected to.

I'd leave the car alone, it's a beautiful car, or make a few suspension mods if you'd like the lowered look.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:47 AM
gonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond repute
Ynot,

I just noticed your signature. What does 450 tq mean to you and your car. Can you tell me about the pull and performance?
tq = torque, and tq is what you want as that's what provides the acceleration - pushes the car. In his case, I'm going to say unless he has a built motor his "tq" is at the engine/flywheel versus the wheels. I'm not sure about the 911, but in the case of my supercharged M3 it lost about 18% horsepower and torque from the flywheel to the wheels. Likely ~425 whp and ~370 wtq. Anything in this ballpark is impressive and the acceleration is phenomenal. A good analogy of the feel is when I recall driving my M3 and then driving my friend's normally aspirated M3 and his felt like he was pulling a heavy boat.

I'm sure Ynot will chime in on that.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:24 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gonz996
tq = torque, and tq is what you want as that's what provides the acceleration - pushes the car. In his case, I'm going to say unless he has a built motor his "tq" is at the engine/flywheel versus the wheels. I'm not sure about the 911, but in the case of my supercharged M3 it lost about 18% horsepower and torque from the flywheel to the wheels. Likely ~425 whp and ~370 wtq. Anything in this ballpark is impressive and the acceleration is phenomenal. A good analogy of the feel is when I recall driving my M3 and then driving my friend's normally aspirated M3 and his felt like he was pulling a heavy boat.

I'm sure Ynot will chime in on that.
Nothing to chime in, you are spot on. Those are advertised numbers from TPC, I actually have dyno results from the wheels. Your numbers are very close. Actually if you are interested, TPC has those dynos on their website from my car. All I can say is, it's pretty fast, things just fly by so quickly. It seems effortless. Definitely recommended for those who might be interested in FI.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:37 PM
wingnut2u has a spectacular aura aboutwingnut2u has a spectacular aura about
Give RAC a call in about 2 weeks, they are starting the install on my TPC supercharger on Monday. Estimates for the install are in the 30-40 hour range, plus you have to ship the ac lines to TPC to modified along with the ECU for a flash, so I am guessing it will take about 2 weeks before I get mine back.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by wingnut2u
Give RAC a call in about 2 weeks, they are starting the install on my TPC supercharger on Monday. Estimates for the install are in the 30-40 hour range, plus you have to ship the ac lines to TPC to modified along with the ECU for a flash, so I am guessing it will take about 2 weeks before I get mine back.
Any chance I could get a ride in your new TPC turbo when it's done? Please?

Last edited by Super Adjuster; 06-23-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:12 PM
wingnut2u has a spectacular aura aboutwingnut2u has a spectacular aura about
Any chance I could get a ride in your new TPC turbo when it's done? Please?
Sure, no problem, just remember that mine will be supercharged and not a turbo so it won't be a complete apples to apples comparison but you will get to feel the difference in HP that FI adds to the car. TPC no longer makes a supercharger kit. Apparently the labor involved in the SC kit made it cost prohibitive.

I might even bring it down to you in Austin for a test drive

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Down the Rabbit Hole - Forced Induction and other mods