997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Down the Rabbit Hole - Forced Induction and other mods

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 11:46 PM
iBang is infamous around these parts
Hey Super, what happen to your old Techart lip that's on your avatar? If you still have it, I will buy it from you.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:40 PM
Super Adjuster has a spectacular aura aboutSuper Adjuster has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by iBang
Hey Super, what happen to your old Techart lip that's on your avatar? If you still have it, I will buy it from you.
My car has had 3 owners: the original owner, the guy I bought it from, and me. The lip was on the car when it sold the first time, but was removed sometime before I bought it. I have a GT3Tek lip that I am having painted and installed to replace the original TechArt lip.

Finding a good shop to do the lip and some other paint work has been a real pain. My body shop that I take my cars to for insurance repairs (Berli's) wouldn't do the lip and priced themselves out of the other paint work. Roger Beasley Body was even worse. I finally found a cool place in a small town only 20 minutes from me: Jeff's Ressurections in Taylor, TX. He gave me a full tour of his shop and was a really nice guy. He gave me verbal quotes for everything I wanted done, but in the end, it is priced by the hour. I trust him and got on his schedule. He has some pretty big projects going on, so he can'tget to my small job for five or six weeks.

I took some pics of his shop to show you guys:

Cobra

Name:  2012-07-23142054.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  186.9 KB

Jaguar XKE
Name:  2012-07-23142102.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  154.4 KB

Some hand built aluminum car - not sure
Name:  2012-07-23142213.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  122.5 KB

Jaguar XJ220
Name:  2012-07-23142455.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  132.1 KB

Old 07-26-2012, 09:42 AM
roelricardo is infamous around these parts
I would do anything, its beautiful!!!

Old 07-30-2012, 07:57 PM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
Check out this TPC Supercharger on a 993!

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...uild-pics.html

Old 08-24-2012, 11:30 AM
gonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond repute
Did you find a shop in the Hill Country to handle the turbo install? I'm hoping to get a kit before yearend.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:56 AM
Super Adjuster has a spectacular aura aboutSuper Adjuster has a spectacular aura about
I just dropped my car off at Jeff's Ressurections in Taylor, TX for paint correction and painting and installation of the GT3Tek front lip. It should be ready when I get back from vacation (8 days in Oahu/Maui for my 10 year anniversary).

Jeff recommended I talk to Morespeed in Austin about the turbo install. Haven't called them yet but I will. Hopefully they have some experience and are as nice as the guys at Colver Automotive.

So, I have some questions about the TPC turo kit and the crash bar. I understand that a major safety device is removed during the install. Is this correct? I thought the bar was just modified for some plumbing. Please enlighen me on this part of the TPC installation. Thanks.

Last edited by Super Adjuster; 08-28-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:32 AM
gonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond repute
GREAT NEWS! I just spoke with Tom Chan (TPC Racing) and the kit within the next two weeks will be redesigned to retain the crash bar. The main issue with previously not retaining it was the muffler and some plumbing - now resolved.

The turnaround time for the order is 5-6 week to build a kit; install time is ~30-35 hours.

Tom also referenced Eurocar Werks in Houston as a potential shop for install. They haven't done a 997 but have with Caymans, etc.

I'm looking at October for mine. Please let me know if you find a shop in your neck of the woods if you do it before then.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:50 PM
gonz996,

That is great news. I never could get them to reply to my email or phone calls. I did make some progress with Vivid a while back. They were supposed to get a copy of the installation instructions to me so that I could better interview local shops. But he said TPC is very hush-hush about giving out the instructions, and I should find someone that has had a kit installed and see if they will send me a copy. Not very likely. If your contact there is responsive, I would like to talk to him and see if I can get the installation manual or some list that I can use to discuss the scope of work with the shops. Also, I would like to know if buying direct is an option or do I have to go through Vivid?

So, the VF-Engineering thread we have been posting on is interesting, but not very convincing to me. The Vivid guy states the SC is the best for HP gains and is the most proven. I wish he would back that statement up more. Why is it more proven? The dyno numbers don't really show me that the SC is better - they show me the turbo has a big flat torque band that looks like a ton of fun. I don't want to get into it any more on his thread because it is a sales promotion, and I don't want to knock the guy in front of customers (and I migh buy my TPC kit through Vivid).

Old 08-28-2012, 05:11 PM
mattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the rough
I might have a copy of the original install on my kit I will look and see if I can find it. I don't know anybody that has been hush hush about anything they are selling. TPC has always been up front and easy to work with. That being said the fit and finish was not what I anticipated, although it worked just like they said it would and performed very good IMO. I think that the VF SC is the way I would go if I was buying a new kit.

Originally Posted by Super Adjuster
gonz996,

That is great news. I never could get them to reply to my email or phone calls. I did make some progress with Vivid a while back. They were supposed to get a copy of the installation instructions to me so that I could better interview local shops. But he said TPC is very hush-hush about giving out the instructions, and I should find someone that has had a kit installed and see if they will send me a copy. Not very likely. If your contact there is responsive, I would like to talk to him and see if I can get the installation manual or some list that I can use to discuss the scope of work with the shops. Also, I would like to know if buying direct is an option or do I have to go through Vivid?

So, the VF-Engineering thread we have been posting on is interesting, but not very convincing to me. The Vivid guy states the SC is the best for HP gains and is the most proven. I wish he would back that statement up more. Why is it more proven? The dyno numbers don't really show me that the SC is better - they show me the turbo has a big flat torque band that looks like a ton of fun. I don't want to get into it any more on his thread because it is a sales promotion, and I don't want to knock the guy in front of customers (and I migh buy my TPC kit through Vivid).

Old 08-28-2012, 05:14 PM
You should call TPC and speak with them - not sure why you've had problems contacting them by phone - no issues here. I spoke with Tom Chan who is the Sales Manager/Race Team Manager - (410)799-RACE(7223); tchan@tpcracing.net. Great guy who also spent quite a bit of time with me on the phone today.

In any case, I like the turbo much more - HP and TQ - especially now that the safety concerns have been resolved.

VF-E is okay, although when I had my E46 M3 I opted to not go with their setup and chose ESS Tuning's setup instead. I have my reasons and was very active on M3 Forum and E46 Fanatics where I did quite a bit of research on vendors' setups. The blower I ran on the M3 was an ASA setup and the output characteristics were very turbo-like in terms of the power and torque curve. Using 6 PSI the horsepower output at the wheels was 428 and torque at the wheels 320. The VF-E blower just couldn't match the torque and curve. The other thing I like is being able to upgrade the turbo in the future with an engine build with increase is displacement, reduction in compression.

There's no way I'd take a supercharger over a turbo - on the M3 the options were limited with Horsepower Freaks and at the time their setup was not proven. I spoke with Eric Anderson at Eurocar Werks and he said TPC's setup is very high quality and some of the best he's ever worked with. We spoke about the setup at length today. I'll be shipping my car to him in the near future for the setup. Given my experience with ESS' setup, one he's very familiar with, I'm convinced TPC's turbo is for me. If you order make sure you get the revised kit. Also remember if so you're looking at a 5-6 week turnaround for delivery. TPC has sold quite a few kits this summer and they're booked on installations.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:21 PM
They're likely willing to help once their workload eases up - worth a call. They told me some machining will be required on plumbing to make it work (996 to 997 setup), and they may be able to sell you the parts based on their redesign whereby the crash bar is retained. The parts are custom made with someone they work with so perhaps they can hook you up (?).

I have a Tiptronic and they've also redesigned their cooler (front) that now stacks the one for the engine and another for the intercooler. The intercooler radiator is placed up front, the one for the engine behind it.

Aside from that, I think your price is really great and someone with a MT would be getting a good deal.

Originally Posted by mattgarrett
I might have a copy of the original install on my kit I will look and see if I can find it. I don't know anybody that has been hush hush about anything they are selling. TPC has always been up front and easy to work with. That being said the fit and finish was not what I anticipated, although it worked just like they said it would and performed very good IMO. I think that the VF SC is the way I would go if I was buying a new kit.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:37 PM
GT3Tek Front Lip Painted and Installed

My car was at Jeff's Ressurection for paint correction for about 3 weeks...quite a bit longer than expected. Jeff also painted and installed the GT3Tek Lip. I have some things to comment on the quality of the lip and the guys at GT3Tek, but I don't have time to write that up right now. Here are some pics I took yesterday of the new lip.

Name:  IMG_9868.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  172.8 KB

Name:  IMG_9860.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  249.8 KB

Name:  IMG_9866.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  192.2 KB

Old 09-18-2012, 02:39 PM
And a couple more shots I took yesterday...

Name:  IMG_9874.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  182.3 KB

Name:  IMG_9876.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  197.3 KB

Old 09-18-2012, 02:49 PM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Super Adjuster
My car was at Jeff's Ressurection for paint correction for about 3 weeks...quite a bit longer than expected. Jeff also painted and installed the GT3Tek Lip. I have some things to comment on the quality of the lip and the guys at GT3Tek, but I don't have time to write that up right now. Here are some pics I took yesterday of the new lip.

Looks great and love the color!

Old 09-18-2012, 04:48 PM
Austex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud of
Looks really good. I'd be interested to hear the back story about the quality of the front lip.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Down the Rabbit Hole - Forced Induction and other mods