997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Down the Rabbit Hole - Forced Induction and other mods

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 02:57 PM
Super Adjuster has a spectacular aura aboutSuper Adjuster has a spectacular aura about
Down the Rabbit Hole - Forced Induction and other mods

I love my 2006 Carrera 4S Cab. It looks great inside and out, and performs very well. However, I made a compromise with my wife by getting a modern convertible instead of a classic 964 turbo like I originally wanted. I agreed with her that she should get some enjoyment out of such an expensive toy, so the top came off. But I lost my main objective of getting pushed back into my seat by a mean torque machine. My friend in high school drove a heavily modified 930 turbo and his dad had a brand new 993 turbo (and a bunch of other super cars). The acceleration feel of those turbos had me hooked.

So now I am looking to modify my car with a super charger or turbo charger. I have done some preliminary research, and TPC’s kit seams to be the easy winner. It is the only one that delivers the torque that I want to get out of my car. I am interested to hear if there are any other options that I am overlooking that can deliver big torque.

I will continue to post on this thread with my research findings including: choosing the right kit, finding the right shop near me in Austin, TX, and anything else regarding mods to my car.

Here are some pictures of my car to get this thread started.

Name:  At9KMiles72.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  92.3 KB

Name:  IMG_7408.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  90.3 KB

Name:  IMG_7413.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  206.6 KB

Name:  IMG_8463.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  158.1 KB

Old 06-21-2012, 08:06 PM
gonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond repute
First off, beautiful machine and I like the stable, I think TPC's setup is perfect for this car. I've researched somewhat the supercharger and to me boosting with the turbo is the way to go. I came back to the 911 after switching from the 996 (my second 911) to an E46 M3. I modded the heck out of that car and went with an ASA supercharger tuned by ESS. It was very wicked and at low boost (6 psi) it put down 429 WHP and 320 WTQ. However, I had friends with HPF's turbo and the dynamics were very impressive with no lag.

In any case, I'm in San Antonio and I'll be going with TPC's setup in the near future. I'm interested in knowing if you find a shop in Austin. I'll be moving there after the first of the year, although it's a mere hour away.

Good luck.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:03 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Can't speak for the supercharger but my TPC turbo C4S has been rock solid. Absolutely no problems at all. Contact TPC for recommended installers in your area.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:30 PM
96redLT4 is infamous around these parts96redLT4 is infamous around these parts
Make sure you do your research. I remember a guy, about a year or so back on this or the RL forum, I think with the avatar 'Volant', who tried to supercharge his 997.1 S with one of these kits and had nothing but problems. It sound so appealing to have about 100 more horsepower in our cars.
J

Old 06-22-2012, 02:19 AM
808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !
I believe it was a TPC Turbo kit. His 997.1S was a 2005, and the ECU for that yr was different than the 06 and later model yr. Don't know if TPC has finally cracked the code for the 05 model yr yet.

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Make sure you do your research. I remember a guy, about a year or so back on this or the RL forum, I think with the avatar 'Volant', who tried to supercharge his 997.1 S with one of these kits and had nothing but problems. It sound so appealing to have about 100 more horsepower in our cars.
J

Old 06-22-2012, 02:24 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 808c2s
I believe it was a TPC Turbo kit. His 997.1S was a 2005, and the ECU for that yr was different than the 06 and later model yr. Don't know if TPC has finally cracked the code for the 05 model yr yet.
That is correct, it has a different ECU, and couldn't be tuned properly.

To the OP, my opinion is to buy a 997 Turbo Cab, forget the big ticket mod, and go with what will work, hassle free.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:36 AM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
Subscribed

Old 06-22-2012, 04:55 AM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan
That is correct, it has a different ECU, and couldn't be tuned properly.

To the OP, my opinion is to buy a 997 Turbo Cab, forget the big ticket mod, and go with what will work, hassle free.
not diggin new avatar.....change it back

Old 06-22-2012, 06:49 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jjc4scab
not diggin new avatar.....change it back
No, paint your wall

Old 06-22-2012, 01:48 PM
Super Adjuster has a spectacular aura aboutSuper Adjuster has a spectacular aura about
Installers in Austin

I started out by calling a shop I had heard about called TPWS. I had talked to them once before about starting to do all of my service there because I have two Porsches and I wanted to save some money by going indie instead of dealer. They weren't that nice on the phone so I didn't pursue it further.

They were my first call for this project. I spoke to a guy (Scott I think). He started off by saying that my engine is a hand grenade and my engine would blow and my IMS would fail if I do anything to the motor. He then proceeded to tell me my car is really a Boxster, and only a GT2, GT3, or Turbo is a real 911, and I don't really own a 911. What a dip****. So much for these ******.

Next call was to my service guy Webster at Porsche Austin. He has always been super cool with me and very helpful. I asked if he was even interested in this type of work. He said he knew they had a tech that used to do this type of stuff and he would check with him to see what he thought. I sent him an email with the TPC info, but I haven't heard back yet.

My friend said he had driven by Colvin Automotive near the UT campus and had seen some hot rides over there like Ford GTs, Lambos, and Porsches. I gave them a call and got Daniel on the line. What a great phone call. He was enthusiastic and really interested in the project. He didn't know anything about the TPC kit, but said he had a guy there that was a big Porsche head and he would know what's up. We had a long talk about performance goals and big picture logistics for this project. He also said he had a nice 964 3.3 turbo on the lot that I would like and I should come by and have a visit. I emailed him the TPC info and some pics of my car. He responded immediately saying he is on it. Great experience so far.

So, this is probably where I will end up unless I hear something to change my mind about Colvin. I still have a place in Dallas on my radar: RAC Performance - they do RUF and other high line stuff.

I think my next step is to take my car to Colvin for a leak down compression test and an oil change to look for any metal. A thorough inspection is in order before going any further. Also, he has a two wheel dyno at his shop and access to a four wheel dyno near by at a Subaru mod shop. If this goes forward I will have before and after numbers to post, but that is a long way off.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:06 PM
gonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond repute
TPC told me because of the miles on my car (now just over 90k) I should have an oil analysis done. They've done one on a Boxster with over 120K on it. They recommended blackstone labs. I have a sample to send them. My car doesn't smoke or use oil to any excess beyond normal. I figure if I should need to rebuild I'll punch it out to a 4.0 with the turbo. I know it's and expensive proposition but I like the car and plan on keeping it, besides, the cost of this upgrade in total (if it came to that) would be far less expensive than selling my car (with its miles) and buying a used a 997TT, which would be less powerful than the 500 WHP, 400 WTQ of the built motor. The bolt-on application for $9,999 and figure ~$4-5K in labor doesn't seem too bad to have the performance level of a 997TT.

http://www.tpcracing.net/products/TP...CT-Conversion/

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Old 06-22-2012, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the tip on blackstone. I just ordered a sample kit from them.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:27 PM
Suspension mods

I am considering doing a small drop on the car also. I already have some TechArt pieces (wheels and spoiler, front lip is gone). So, I am thinking about adding Techart or Eibach springs for a 0.8" drop. I've read there isn't any difference in the two, so TechArt springs aren't worth the money.

But I just saw a post for H&R springs for $299 that give a 1.2" drop. Sounds like a good price, but that might be too much of a drop. Especially if I add the TechArt lip and side skirts back to the mix. Any thoughts on this?

Finally, I still need to get my suspension checked out before doing any mods to it. If my shocks are close to the end, I don't want to waste money on labor getting springs installed and a new allignment.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:27 PM
So, if I were to finish the TechArt look and get the TPC turbo, this would be one heck of a mean machine! If you add all this up plus the $55K I paid for the car, we are getting close to 997TT territory, but not quite. I really don't think there is a turbo cab out there as clean and well optioned as mine any where near $70K-75K. Maybe I'm wrong though, and I should check it out further.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:29 PM
Much obliged.

The interior/exterior color of your car is stunning. I have (I think) the same interior color but your's really sets it off.

For suspension, I think H&R springs are pretty good. I ran them on my 996. For my 997, I ordered them then opted to not installed them (sold them new in the box), and instead ordered H&R coil overs. I wanted to match the dampers to the springs, plus have the adjustment. On my M3 I ran KWv2 and I liked being able to tune the rebound, but for the 911 they're $1K+ over and above the price for the M3 - nuts. I'm pleased with the H&R coil overs.

FWIW, the f/r LEDs are a nice upgrade. I also added the LED side markers, license plate LEDs, full interior LED including the boot and engine lid. Other mods are going to be other suspension items upgraded sways, drop links, dog bones, GT3tek front lip (forgiving due to it being polyurethane) and a duck tail, and TPC turbo last.

Modding is a slippery slope that's for sure.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Down the Rabbit Hole - Forced Induction and other mods