997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

sport chrono help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 11:18 AM
franki68 is infamous around these parts
sport chrono help

I seem to recall people saying that the sport chrono does more than just a stopwatch...where can you get info on this,as very little is provided with the car.

any help appreciated.

Old 06-08-2005, 11:26 AM
shamrock is infamous around these parts
The newly developed Sport Chrono Plus package is available as an option for the 911 Carrera S. Functions of the package enable even sportier tuning of the chassis, engine and transmission, resulting in even greater enjoyment behind the wheel. The package includes a digital and analog stopwatch, the Sport button, and a detailed performance display including individual memory within the PCM system.

More than a collection of the world’s most refined race-bred technologies, the Porsche 911 is a driving experience. The new Sport Chrono Package Plus option is an all-new integrated system providing simultaneous enhancement for engine, chassis and the optional Tiptronic S transmission. The results are even greater performance and pleasure from your Porsche.

Pressing the “Sport” button on the center console is all that’s required to begin exploiting the new 911’s generous reserves of power and agility in a more immediate manner. In Sport mode, the engine management system’s variable parameters are recalibrated to enhance engine response. A modified throttle map empowers your right foot with more progressive reaction to each tap of the accelerator. In higher gears, a rev-limiter works in tandem to offer additional protection for the engine under acceleration.

On vehicles with Tiptronic S transmission, automatic gearshifts also become faster and more dynamic. Lift off the throttle – even at high revs – and the system immediately shifts down to apply engine braking.

Unwanted upshifts in manual mode are also prevented, even as you approach the engine’s rev limit. The payoff? More secure and predictable handling, particularly in the corners.

While all of this is happening, PASM switches to a more rigid setup with firmer electronic damper settings for precise cornering, improved high-speed stability and tenacious road-holding traction. (Note: PASM, or Porsche Active Suspension Management, is optional on the 911 Carrera and standard on the 911 Carrera S).
Porsche Stability Management is also performance-optimized by raising the thresholds for triggering automatic intervention by the ABS and engine management systems, resulting in a more natural response, but less forgiving to lateral and longitudinal g-forces.

A digital/analog timer mounted on the center dashboard keeps score, measuring time as deftly as the 911 concept transcends it.

To help you gauge your 911’s performance in a more exacting manner, a digital/analog stopwatch tracks time from hours down to hundredths of a second. Driving times can be recorded for any stretch of road, and benchmark times can be defined.

Stopwatch functions are operated using a control stalk mounted to the side of the steering wheel, and data is continuously fed to an on-board computer integrated into the Porsche Communication Management (PCM) system.

A second digital display located on the instrument cluster gives your eyes another option for viewing time information, while the PCM display lets you analyze detailed performance data at your leisure. The system records and displays the time and distance traveled on the current segment, number of segments completed with respective times and the fastest segment. Other useful features include a memory function controlled via the PCM system which can store a range of personal preferences.

Old 06-08-2005, 08:54 PM
Red Blur Is a GOD !Red Blur Is a GOD !Red Blur Is a GOD !Red Blur Is a GOD !Red Blur Is a GOD !Red Blur Is a GOD !Red Blur Is a GOD !Red Blur Is a GOD !Red Blur Is a GOD !Red Blur Is a GOD !Red Blur Is a GOD !
Well said. It's worth the $.

Old 06-09-2005, 02:06 PM
Steve Huggins is infamous around these parts
Each 2005 Sport Chrono I have seen is in a color somewhere between white and aluminum. It doesn't seem to match either the "painted white" or the standard aluminum look. My local dealer semms to think that there's no way to get the Chrono gage to match the rest of the gages, no matter what you order. Can anybody comment on this before I place my C4S order?

Old 06-09-2005, 02:09 PM
why not custom paint it...
you can get anything done for the money, my friend.

Old 06-10-2005, 06:05 AM
Steve Huggins is infamous around these parts
Yeah. I was afraid that was the answer.

Old 06-10-2005, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Steve Huggins
Yeah. I was afraid that was the answer.
it's no big deal.
I usually have lots of stuff custom painted. just make sure that you check references before you end up doing it.
Ryan