997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Center armrest squeaking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 06:58 AM
2geeze is infamous around these parts
Center armrest squeaking

After having my '07 C2S for almost a year and 11000 miles, I've come to be bothered by a little squeaking from the center console armrest. When I set my arm on it--which I almost always do while driving--the top of the armrest flexes slightly from side to side and emits an annoying squeak. Big deal? Not in the grand scheme of things, but it just seems a little flimsy in such a great car. It seems like an easy fix--maybe just a little strip of rubber along the edge to fill in the gap--but I'm just curious if anyone else has had this problem and what they did about it.

Brad

Old 07-08-2012, 07:58 AM
PSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
Double check that it is not the seat belt clip on your right side. When you shift your weight to put your arm on the armrest, that piece may make a squeaking sound where it attaches to the seat. It sounds like it is coming from somewhere else-- at first I thought my seat had squeaky springs!

Otherwise, you should try to disassemble the armrest cover and see if anything needs to be tightened up or replaced. Sun coast has a video on how to disassemble that part; perhaps it will help...
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...ry_Code=997int

Old 07-08-2012, 03:15 PM
MYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really nice
Also check inside the lid of console and make sure there are 2 little rubber grommets,one on each side of the latch.I was missing one when I first purchased my 06 CS2.This caused mine to rattle and when you rested your arm on it you could tell it was loose.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:00 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
My console cover (it's not an arm rest to me) is not flimsy or squeaky. If yours is making noise you can replaced it with a new embossed part from one of our sponsors. I don't remember which but there are several posts on file about the new covers.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:58 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
It's most likely the grommets as Golen states. Order a couple from parts for nearly nothing. Fixed identical problem in my car

Old 07-08-2012, 11:15 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
I think the lids have a flimsy hinge that allows it to move more than it should.

FWIW I get a lot of squeaking from my seat belt receptor rubbing against my adaptive sport seat bolster. One of these days I'll find something to put on the leather, or else resort to a piece of wax paper slipped between the 2 surfaces.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:41 AM
IslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of light
I am missing one of the rubber grommets too. Are they available as separate part?

Old 07-09-2012, 06:49 AM
PSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by IslandS62
I am missing one of the rubber grommets too. Are they available as separate part?
See if your Auto parts store has a packet of generic replacement grommets. Years ago, I purchased generic replacements this way for a different car; they were a little harder to squeeze into the OEM holes, but this actually made the armrest cover more solid and tighter. You can also trim them a little with a knife, to get the height you need, again, making for a tighter fit.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:30 AM
MYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really nice
I believe their packaged as two?It was around $11 bucks.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:25 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
It must be a conspiracy Yes its has a part # which the dealer can look up for you.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:26 PM
IslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of light
thanks guys!

Old 07-09-2012, 04:59 PM
2geeze is infamous around these parts
My wife actually had some kind of adhesive rubber shoe cushion that fit right in place and killed essentially all of the creaking. The problem did seem to be the hinge allowing the whole assembly to rock from side to side. That said, I might wind up replacing the arm rest cover with one of the crested ones from Suncoast, now that I'm thinking about it...

Old 07-09-2012, 06:07 PM
There are plenty of fixes I had in my garage... lol... to silence the situation but...I just wanted to do it right on my P-Car.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by 2geeze
My wife actually had some kind of adhesive rubber shoe cushion that fit right in place and killed essentially all of the creaking. The problem did seem to be the hinge allowing the whole assembly to rock from side to side. That said, I might wind up replacing the arm rest cover with one of the crested ones from Suncoast, now that I'm thinking about it...
I replaced mine with the crested cover, but be aware it is only a top half of the armrest, so, like me, you will have a new armrest, but still be missing the rubber grommet on the bottom.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:20 PM
... you will have a new armrest, but still be missing the rubber grommet on the bottom.
...and still have loose hinges.

You might need to replace the hinge portion, instead. AutoAtlanta, PelicanParts, or Suncoast maybe able to help you find the right part.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Center armrest squeaking