997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

automatic dimming mirrors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 04:27 PM
kkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nice
automatic dimming mirrors

just realized i don't think i have these on my car...had them on the previous one, they would get dark when i would pull into the garage and the setting sun would shine on the back of the car at the right time of day and the mirrors would get this nice precise rim of lighter mirror surface around the darker center, was very cool, but don't have that anymore...anyway, can i install just the glass and have this feature or is it connected to a bunch of wires and a whole system's worth of stuff? tia,kk

Old 07-12-2012, 05:03 PM
Goldduster is infamous around these parts
Just a guess, but something makes that little green light glow when I push the button to turn mine on.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:06 PM
PSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
I thought it was connected to the auto dimming switch at the bottom of the inside rear view mirror...

The owner's manual states:

Sensors on the front and rear sides of the interior mirror measure the incident light.
The mirrors automatically change to anti-glare position or revert to their normal state, depending on the light intensity.
I think the plural word "mirrors" implies that the outside mirrors are also controlled by the switch and sensors on the inside rear view mirror.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:59 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
you can get a dimming mirror assembly. i think it's a few hundred. VW/audi part also works I believe. the windshield mount needs to match. amazon sells some aftermarket ones. not sure about the wiring part. you'll probably need to tap into the map light for power.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:03 AM
kkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nice
hmmm, guess i can live with having to manually flip the tab on the bottom of the mirror like in the 'old days',,,

Old 07-13-2012, 01:13 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Autodimming is an option that is both wing mirrors and the rear-view. There are sensors in the rearview that see the exterior forward ambient light (the forward facing side of the rearview) and the backward facing light and when the front is dark (inside the garage or at night) but the back is bright (looking out of the garage or a car behind you with headlights), that difference signals the system to dim the various mirrors.

There is wiring between them. However at the simplest form, you may be able to swap out the rear-view with an autodimming rearview and only have that part be auto-dimming. The sideview mirrors would take some wiring being added in all likelihood, given that Porsche doesn't put in wires in harnesses it doesn't need.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:14 PM
silver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the rough
I would like to know if anyone has done this also. I have a non dimming rear view mirror but have no idea if it's wired for the upgrade. There is the long plastic piece that runs down the windshield to the mirror itself and I always wondered why that was there if I had non dimming.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:27 PM
PSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
Remove your mirror and see if you have the wires there-- it takes a few minutes to remove the mirror, I just posted a DIY on it (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-creaking.html). If they are there, make sure they are receiving current.

Old 04-29-2021, 07:38 AM
f911 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Minok
Autodimming is an option that is both wing mirrors and the rear-view. There are sensors in the rearview that see the exterior forward ambient light (the forward facing side of the rearview) and the backward facing light and when the front is dark (inside the garage or at night) but the back is bright (looking out of the garage or a car behind you with headlights), that difference signals the system to dim the various mirrors.

There is wiring between them. However at the simplest form, you may be able to swap out the rear-view with an autodimming rearview and only have that part be auto-dimming. The sideview mirrors would take some wiring being added in all likelihood, given that Porsche doesn't put in wires in harnesses it doesn't need.
Sorry for the bounce - I need help please.

Automatic dimming in Rearview Mirror not working (997.2). I have full automatic dimming in the car. According to a test I did, the previous owner of my vehicle replaced the left side glass driver with standard original glass (no dimming connection).
I do not know if it is related or unrelated, anyway, my dimming currently does not work at all. Not in the right side mirror (there is a connection) and not in the Rearview Mirror (which I do not know if connected properly).

Is there a fuse associated with the dimming system?
Is it possible for a dimming system to work only on the right and center side without the left side or is everything connected to each other?
Can anyone tell me how I can easily check why my dimming is not working?

Thanks