997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Ever been Paparazzied?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 11:18 AM
a4ep is infamous around these parts
Ever been Paparazzied?

This past weekend was a fun Porsche weekend.

Starting off on Friday as I drive home from the office and am stopped at a stoplight low and behold a gigantic white Surburban (never knew how big these things actually were until I was in the C2S) pulls up next to me and a guy in his early 20s leans almost the entire way outside the window and starts taking multiple pictures and videos of my car. I felt a bit awkward simply because he was also taking photos of me in the car. It reminded me of the nice time when i got my 986S back in 2004 when I was filling up and a nice 10yr old boy hops out of his dad's truck with a camcorder and video's all the way around my car, excited as could be. His dad asked if it was okay and I of course offered the kid a seat in the car too. That made me remember how I felt when I was his age with these cars. Has this ever happened to anyone else? I could see it with Ferraris but didn't think a 997 would get such a treatment too.

From the stoplight onto the carwash to rinse some dirt off and what do I spy there as I pull into the vaccum bay...a great looking CaymanS. I have a nice chat with the car's owner and his friend before I head on my way.

Then Friday night I take the wifey out for a bite to eat at Phillips Place here in Charlotte and was unsuccessful in finding parking right in front of the restaurant so I park in back which just kills me. But, then when I came out of the restaurant a beautiful 997.1 C2S is parked right next to me, my wife tried to stop me but I had to take this pic Being parked in a packed lot isn't so bad when your car has a friend next to it

Moving onto Saturday when driving around town I did the wave/flash to a 996 and a 997 and amazingly got a return wave...it seems to happen less and less these days. Finally on Sunday I am rolling up I-77 into Uptown CLT and I spot a cream 997.2 C2S enter the freeway right ahead of me, so I catch up to the car (only the second 997.2 I have seen in CLT in 45 days) and we play a bit in the traffic.

All in all a great weekend for the P-Car!

Attached Images  
Old 07-17-2012, 11:56 AM
PSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds fun! I always appreciate it when a nice car parks next to mine because I *KNOW* they will be careful not to ding the door. I agree, waves are "far and in between" these days.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:23 PM
a4ep is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by PSPorsche
Sounds fun! I always appreciate it when a nice car parks next to mine because I *KNOW* they will be careful not to ding the door. I agree, waves are "far and in between" these days.
I just waved to a stunning 987S and got a stare like a deer in headlights.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:47 PM
Banned
semicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond repute
12-year old walking his dog with a friend just as I'm pulling into the driveway, stops dead in his tracks.

Kid: That's the coolest car ever!
Me: You like that, huh? <big smile>
Kid: Oh yeah! Way cool!
Me: Well, maybe one day you could own one too...

I swear that kid was me 30 years ago

Old 07-17-2012, 06:53 PM
krysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant future
one day I was driving when a convertible white 3 series BWM pulled beside me at the lights. There were 4 of the hottest girls I have ever seen. They were taking pictures, flashing me, asking me to follow them. So I did, but then...

I woke up.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:04 PM
JT997 is infamous around these parts
About a month ago, I was at my local Subway on my way home from playing basketball, and my car was paparazzied. It wasn't the normal lunch time, and the parking lot was pretty clear so I had a good view of my car from the line. As I was standing there ordering, I saw a father and son, maybe 4 or 5, walking toward my car. I thought that was interesting as there was nothing else around my car that they would be walking toward. When they got to my car, they did a walk around, and the father pointed a few things out to his son. Then, they stopped in front of it, and the father took a picture of his son standing in front of it. They both had big smiles on their faces. I tried to hurry out and talk to them, but they walked away as I was paying.

As for the wave, I get a decent amount here in Portland, but then again, I usually initiate, so maybe they are just being courteous.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:08 PM
evil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to behold
happens very often. i do appreciate it and try to be courteous about it - can't perpetuate the d-bag stereotype of Porsche owners. i'm happy to answer questions and talk to kids, although their second or third question always seems to be "how much did you pay for it?". new generation, i know, but that's a question i would not ask a stranger

Old 07-18-2012, 11:46 AM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
Happens to me every once in a while. I get the "nice car" thing. I always respond with a "Thanks". That is where it usually ends. Some people want to talk more and I always try to answer their questions as time permits. Occasionally I get the picture thing too. Usually early teen boys with their cell phones.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:34 PM
JTaylorGT has a spectacular aura aboutJTaylorGT has a spectacular aura about
I just had a mom and her 5-6 year old son approach me in a shopping center parking lot. We were returning to our cars at the same time, and the little boy mumbled something at me which I didn't understand...to which the mom clarifies, 'He really likes your car'. I just said 'Thanks - appreciate it' and went on my way.

Was I supposed to let him sit in it?!?!?! Geez, the social responsibilities of driving a nice car!!!

Old 07-19-2012, 05:32 AM
Jcusa is a splendid one to beholdJcusa is a splendid one to beholdJcusa is a splendid one to beholdJcusa is a splendid one to beholdJcusa is a splendid one to beholdJcusa is a splendid one to beholdJcusa is a splendid one to behold
I've had this happen several times. The last time was at Starbucks when an entire family (father, mother and 2 young boys were walking around it), so I asked them if they wanted to take a look inside. They asked if they could take some pics and then thanked me for being nice to the little ones.... I replied, "that was me when I was that age."

Old 07-19-2012, 06:48 AM
Austex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud of
There must not be a lot of Porsches in the Corpus Christi, TX area because every time we visit my in-laws and I take the Porsche, people flock to it like it was a Ferrari!

Old 07-19-2012, 06:50 AM
PasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to all
100% of the "nice car" comments come from kids under the age of 12 around here. After 12 they become "real" new yorkers.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:38 PM
Taxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really nice
Originally Posted by a4ep
Then Friday night I take the wifey out for a bite to eat at Phillips Place here in Charlotte and was unsuccessful in finding parking right in front of the restaurant so I park in back which just kills me. But, then when I came out of the restaurant a beautiful 997.1 C2S is parked right next to me, my wife tried to stop me but I had to take this pic Being parked in a packed lot isn't so bad when your car has a friend next to it
Dude, I would be a nervous wreck if I had to park my car that close to the big white SUV!

Old 07-21-2012, 04:24 PM
Mark Harris is infamous around these parts
Happens more to me in our MB Gwagen than my 997.