997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Getting new tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 04:36 PM
EJ-997 is infamous around these parts
I have the Hankook Ventus V12s and they are great. They are quieter and have more grip than the Contis. Some complain are about the sidewall being weak but if you keep the tire pressure at the recommended level there is no problem. This is the pressure on the inside of the door.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:56 AM
smokersteve is infamous around these parts
How about the Bridgestone Potenza RE970 AS Pole Position ? A friend of mine likes them.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:55 AM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jsimon77
Any experience on the differences between the super sport's and the pilot sport 2's?
Replaced my PS2's with the Super Sports and frankly don't find the
Super Sports to be much different. Extra 2/32" tread depth makes 'em feel a little softer but they're new and my PS2's where ready to be replaced. Handling in non-track use feels petty much the same, excellent. Big improvement was the fact they were about $ 500 less for the set than the PS2's.

As for the OP's original question, you will not find a quieter, better handling street tire than the Michelins for a modern Porsche IMO.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:40 PM
farfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond repute
Ss

Just read R&T. Tested 9 hi end tires, Michelin Super Sports by alot.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:57 PM
911Sgezr is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by EJ-997
I have the Hankook Ventus V12s and they are great. They are quieter and have more grip than the Contis. Some complain are about the sidewall being weak but if you keep the tire pressure at the recommended level there is no problem. This is the pressure on the inside of the door.
I have the Hankook's on my JCW and they are great. The right tire pressure is key. Moving into a Porsche in the next few weeks and would consider them too if I was replacing tires. Good info here!

Old 07-28-2012, 07:10 PM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jsimon77
Any experience on the differences between the super sport's and the pilot sport 2's?
Yes. I had several sets of PS2's, perhaps a dozen, before they released the PSS. The PSS is quieter, less harsh so it's more comfortable on the road, and delivers higher grip levels. People who live with water from the sky report that it gives up less in the rain as well.

For those who care and also know what I'm talking about, my impression from track work is that the performance plateau is broader with the PSS. In broad terms, I'd say the PS2 plateau is almost but not quite twice as wide as racing rubber and with a proportionately slower drop once you get a tire beyond the plateau. In equally broad terms, the PSS plateau feels more than twice as wide and drops off even less rapidly.

If you don't know, then you don't care that that this characteristic makes it easier to set up the car for best lap times, but it does mean the PSS is more forgiving if you make a mistake on public roads.

Gary

Old 07-29-2012, 10:16 PM
RaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of light
Love my Hankook's as well. Very pleased with them. Put them on my 750iL as well. Quiet and handle just fine for my style driving.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:21 PM
ShawnM has much to be proud ofShawnM has much to be proud ofShawnM has much to be proud ofShawnM has much to be proud ofShawnM has much to be proud ofShawnM has much to be proud ofShawnM has much to be proud ofShawnM has much to be proud of
I just drove my 911 S with sport seats 2500 miles to bring her home. OEM PS2 tires with 90% left and no howl or road noise to speak of. Sweetheart co-pilot commented how quiet the car was with the top down at speed.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:37 AM
smokersteve is infamous around these parts
I got the Michelin super sport tires. I will let you guys know how the sound changes.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:06 PM
subparrnd is infamous around these parts
I just put a set of Hankooks on my 997s. They are very quiet! Wife and I were driving down the freeway and she asked if I did any new exhaust mods to my car. Due to the tires being so quiet coming from the PS2's that were worn. It was her first time hearing the exhaust. I had a set on my Cayman S also and they lasted about 30K miles.

I drive my P-car daily and do not go to the track. So these are a nice bang for the buck. Everything was about $1100 installed for me.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:31 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry I have missed this thread! Please give me a call. I'll be happy to help.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 08-02-2012, 06:53 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
I just replaced my factory P-Zeros with the MPSS and they are great. Much quieter and same/better on road performance.

I recently tried to replace the rears only with Hankook V12s (see this thread) and it was a disaster. Given comments from others, I suspect the Hankooks wouldn't have been quite as bad had the fronts & rears matched. But, when I talked with the service technician, he made it clear that the Hankooks have much softer sidewalls, therefore they can tend to 'float' at highway speeds and above.

He also commented that the PZeros have similar characteristics to the Michelins, but when they get to 1/2-1/3 tread remaining the road noise will go up very dramatically with the Pirellis whereas the Michelins tend to maintain their treadlife and quiet(er) ride for a longer period of time.

The Michelins and Pirellis are about 2X the cost of Hankooks, but from my experience, they are worth it in terms of traction, ride quality and road noise.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:23 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by smokersteve
I got the Michelin super sport tires. I will let you guys know how the sound changes.
If your experience is as mine has been in the same situation, I believe you'll be amazed at noise and handling.