997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Getting new tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 09:43 PM
smokersteve is infamous around these parts
Getting new tires

Id like to get a different kind that does not create as much road noise.

I have the michelin pilot super sport.

The main thing is noise. So im guessing a softer tire will not be as loud? and the softer rubber will give more grip, so that is good.

But im not looking for a tire that only lasts 15,000miles, not that soft of tire.

2005 997s
front 235 30 19
rear 295 39 19

It is a fun daily driver, I dont race or go crazy often if that helps with the tire suggestions.

Thanks

Old 07-23-2012, 10:05 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
i don't have suggestion on selection. however, usually used tires will howl around mid life. rotating helps. you may want to look through tire rack for rating on noise. bigger lugs tend to generate more noise but get more traction in wet.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:17 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
I just moved from stock PZeros and I can tell you that those got loud as hell after 5K miles, so I'm moving to the MPSS.

And word to the wise, skip the Hankooks...not for the noise, but for the lack of sidewall strength.

I hate to tell you, but pretty sure the Michelins are your best option.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:31 PM
jsimon77 is infamous around these parts
Thoughts on Conti Contact Sport 3's?

Old 07-23-2012, 10:58 PM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
Any tire w/ 'narrow' and/or flexible side walls will transmit road noise into the cabin depending on the road surface and of course speed.

I've seen many user reviews on the Michelin Super Sports and most of them report a quieter ride compared to other similar sized tires. I'm sort of surprised that the OP reports too much noise. Maybe the balance or alignment is off.

I'm 3 to 5K miles from replacing my rears and I was planning on going w/ MPSS tires.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:27 PM
gp2123 is infamous around these parts
Sticky Tires

I used to have the Pirellli P-Zeros; they were quite noisy and hard riding. I just replaced them with the Michelin Super Sports and they are much quieter and softer riding.

I much prefer the Michelin Super Sports. I used to have these on my M3 as well and can say they are good tires.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:39 PM
jsimon77 is infamous around these parts
Any experience on the differences between the super sport's and the pilot sport 2's?

Old 07-24-2012, 03:41 PM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
I had P-Zeros and switched to Michelin Pilot Sports PS2s. I believe my Michelin PS2's are louder than the P-Zeros. Despite that I like the PS2's better than the P-Zeros because they produce a lot less tread dust. The Michelin tires will leave a light tread dust on the back as opposed to the P-Zeros that turned the back quarter panels nearly black. I believe this will also result in longer wear.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:42 PM
I purchased it used with 26,000 miles. It had the Michelin's on when I got the car so the pilots are my only experience with tires on the 997.

I can stick with the pilots if those are the best for me.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:52 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by djantlive
i don't have suggestion on selection. however, usually used tires will howl around mid life. rotating helps. you may want to look through tire rack for rating on noise. bigger lugs tend to generate more noise but get more traction in wet.
I have to agree,,, esp if you got the car with them already at the end of their life.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:40 PM
Yea they are low on rubber and getting ready to get a new set. Thanks for help guys!

Old 07-25-2012, 06:33 AM
MBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud of
I would skip the Hancook's as stated above. I went from PZ's (Loud as hell) to Conti DW's. Couldn't be happier, much quieter and handle great.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:12 PM
vrnkc is infamous around these parts
Don't forget Bridgestone REO50A. Happy with mine and priced lower than Michelins.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:42 PM
Scoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura about
I am very happy with my Hankook Ventus V12s. I don't track either, and for regular street use (including spirited backroads driving), they're fine. Others have been happy with their performance as well -do a search and I know there are others that feel the same. Oh, yes, they're definitely quieter than my stock Bridgestones (and this is in low profile 20s...!)

I have the V12s on my 545 also (19" rim) and have absolutely no complaints. They have great wet traction reviews (I think on tire rack) - and that was a big issue since I'm in the Pacific NW...

Last edited by Scoper; 07-26-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:49 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by smokersteve
Yea they are low on rubber and getting ready to get a new set. Thanks for help guys!
I don't believe you will find a quieter tire than what you're driving. Nothing is better in any category than the Michelin's. If they're old and noisy, they are noisy because they're old.

Last edited by denversteve; 07-27-2012 at 07:06 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Getting new tires