997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Anyone with experience tracking on a patched tire?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 07:00 AM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone with experience tracking on a patched tire?

I got screwed yesterday!

That is, I picked up a screw in one of my tires and had to have it patched. My concern is whether the patch will be able to withstand the heat associated with DE on a track. Discount Tire says no worries, but the track is in the middle of no where (60 miles from town) and I don't want to get stuck with a flat if the plug and patch give out.

Any experienced Track Rats out there who have tracked their car with a patched tire?

Thanks!

Don

Old 07-26-2012, 11:13 AM
Jack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant future
I seriously doubt that you'd have any trouble. Common sense should prevail though. Is the patch in a spot that's not expected to see extra strain? I think the usual stress points are anything near the side wall, or on the outside edge of the tread, particularly on the side of the car with most of the stress, due to the track configuration. So if the track runs clockwise, the outside edge of the drivers side would see the most stress, typically. More importantly, how long until the track event? If it holds pressure well over a decent period of time (say a week ir two), then that is a very good sign. Also, take it easy (as you always should) during the first session, and check pressures religiously at the track (again, which you always should anyway).
lastly, I don't have TPMS, but that might come in handy. I haven't heard of it being used on the track, but I haven't been paying attention either....

Old 07-26-2012, 11:24 AM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Jack667
I seriously doubt that you'd have any trouble.
I have done it and agree with all of the above. As long as it's patched properly (from the inside) and not near the tire's edge, I wouldn't worry about it.

But, the TPMS probably won't give you any warning if it goes flat though since if you're dropping the pressures at the start of the session like you should be (say 5-10 lbs), you'll already be in the zone where the TPMS thinks you have a flat (at least that's how my T4S behaved).

Old 07-26-2012, 11:29 AM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
If it is patched properly it's unlikely that you will have a problem. I used a patched tire for three days at a track event. A friend purchased that set from me and went on to wear the patched tire to the cords.

The shop first put a plug in the tire and then put a patch on the inside.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:39 AM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
I agree here, if it is patched properly and holds air for an extended period - I would not worry about it. Have fun.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:56 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
This strikes me as a very bad idea. If the tire blows at speed or in the wrong place you could incur significant vehicular damage or injury. Weigh that against spending a few hundred bucks to make it right. You've spent enough money on your car, entry fees, modifications, etc. etc. that eeking out the last couple of run sessions on a tire that will eventually have to be replaced anyway is just not clear thinking. Should it go, even if nothing untoward happens, you're done for the weekend. Replacing it before the event seems like a no-brainer to me.

See you at HPR in a couple of weeks. Let's meet, I'm #604. Best,

Old 07-26-2012, 04:46 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
Steamboat,

There is bigger chance that a GT3, 996 turbo or GT2 will blow a hose in front of you and introduce you to a stationary object. :-)

Old 07-26-2012, 09:23 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alan C.
Steamboat,

There is bigger chance that a GT3, 996 turbo or GT2 will blow a hose in front of you and introduce you to a stationary object. :-)
'Tis true. But I try to live by a few simple rules for the track;
  • Safety before speed....always,
  • No unforced errors, (like driving around on a patched tire or bad brake pads or a raging hangover or ...........)
  • A couple of bucks invested now might save a few thousand tomorrow.
Stuff still happens but if it happens through personal negligence, well, then it's on you. If it just happens then that's just racing! To each their own!

Old 07-26-2012, 10:15 PM
If something happens it really doesn't matter who is it at fault. The cash will be coming out of your pocket. Trust me I've been there.

Last edited by Alan C.; 07-27-2012 at 12:46 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:48 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Personally I would avoid driving at a higher then normal level or a patched tire. Get a new tire or tires of they aren't new and save the bad one for the street.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, it sucks when these surprises come up.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:55 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
i also would say - those with really bad experience on a track on a patched tire probably would have problems speaking out of the grave.

it depends of how bad is the patch, if that was just a small hole from a nail in the middle of street tire that has full tread - then most likely it will survive just fine. if it is a puncture closer to a sidewall where tire gets most stress and there is little tread left - forget about it.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:27 PM
BlueJay73 is infamous around these parts
I was with a group that rented a track for the whole day. First run of the day, my left rear picked up a 4 inch long piece of hex driver. Toyo R888, almost in center of the tread. Not wanting to lose the whole day, I plugged the tire while still on the wheel. The plug did not leak, maintained 40psi (overpressurized to see if it would leak). Tested tire for about 30 minutes. No leaks. Reduced pressure to normal track pressure, and carefully, slowly, and scaredily took some test laps by myself, and got tires to normal hot pressure. Came off, rechecked. No leaks. Tracked the rest of the day at normal (for me), not reduced, track speeds and G's.
Got away with it, but definitely will take tire off wheel and do a more proper patch before I use it again. If this had happened toward the end of the day, I would have punted, and not tracked with a plugged tire.
So, no problems at all when I did it, but, having said that, try it at your own risk.