997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

What's the easiest way to check if the rear hydraulic spoiler is working?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 07:12 PM
cavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to behold
I see it with the car's shadow on the road.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:30 PM
JTaylorGT has a spectacular aura aboutJTaylorGT has a spectacular aura about
Shiny black SUV reflections on the highway are the easiest way IMO. It helps if you're only going slightly faster than them, or pace them, but then you risk looking like a stalker.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:02 PM
cnachris is infamous around these parts
GoPro Hero2....works perfectly.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:44 PM
amge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond repute
I'll wrap this up as the OP from my trip today...

1. Dark SUV - maybe I'm driving too fast, but by the time I can catch the reflection on the slab side, just can't seem to see it clearly amid all the creases and lines on the SUV or vans. I tried both the driver and passenger sides. I didn't want to be seen as a creeper admiring my own reflection on their car.

2. Tape - 3M blue painters tape worked well. But less satisfying than visual confirmation.

3. Kid in the car - would have worked if my bum of a son stayed awake long enough. He was snoozing before I got through the tollbooth.

4. Camera would have worked great, but I didn't have one handy and didn't monkey with the iPhone mount long enough to do it.

5. Stainless steel container trucks - this worked the best. It's amazing how many of them are out there if you are actually looking for them!

So my spoiler was working fine. After I visually confirmed it on a stainless steel truck a couple of times, I didn't notice the high velocity lift any longer. I swear the older you get your mind starts to play tricks on you. Thanks for all the suggestions!

P.S. I did see from another search result that one person claimed if you're tall enough you can see it in the rear view mirror. I could not for the life of me replicate that.

Last edited by amge63; 07-30-2012 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Spelling...
Old 07-31-2012, 12:50 AM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Have your wife, or anyone else, drive the car and you can follow behind or turn around in the passenger seat and look.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:43 AM
GOB
GOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud of
No button?

Glad you found out that it does in fact work.

Are Euro cars the only one that have a button to raise or lower the spoiler manually? My old 996 had it and a 997 I am looking at has it too. Note the button on the lower most row, all the way to the left.

If you had that button, sure would have been easy to find out, no?

Attached Images  
Old 07-31-2012, 09:22 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GOB
Glad you found out that it does in fact work.

Are Euro cars the only one that have a button to raise or lower the spoiler manually? My old 996 had it and a 997 I am looking at has it too. Note the button on the lower most row, all the way to the left.

If you had that button, sure would have been easy to find out, no?
Yes all the 996/997 models have the button to raise the spoiler but you have to be able to see the spoiler to know if it's actually up - hence all the suggestions about cameras. reflections, someone following you, etc.