997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

What's the easiest way to check if the rear hydraulic spoiler is working?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 12:46 PM
amge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond repute
What's the easiest way to check if the rear hydraulic spoiler is working?

Took a 500 mile run across a couple of states the other day. I noticed the car was experiencing an unusual lift at higher speeds. Since it wasn't a particular windy day with lots of crosswinds, I'm thinking maybe the rear spoiler is not coming up at 75mph. It does work manually, but do you guys have an ingenious way to check its functionality while you're driving?

Old 07-28-2012, 01:12 PM
mattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the rough
I could see mine on my old 996 when it popped up. My 997 has a fixed wing so I don't know if you can see it or not.

Old 07-28-2012, 02:50 PM
daberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by amge63
Took a 500 mile run across a couple of states the other day. I noticed the car was experiencing an unusual lift at higher speeds. Since it wasn't a particular windy day with lots of crosswinds, I'm thinking maybe the rear spoiler is not coming up at 75mph. It does work manually, but do you guys have an ingenious way to check its functionality while you're driving?
Throw your 12 year old son in the back, go for a high speed drive on the freeway and ask him to look out the rear. He begs to go in the car everyday anyhow.

Old 07-28-2012, 03:12 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
I believe you will get a message on the dash if it s NOT working.

Old 07-28-2012, 03:42 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by amge63
From the owner's manual:
If automatic control fails, a warning message is
displayed by the on-board computer

Old 07-28-2012, 05:00 PM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
put a video camera and test!

Old 07-28-2012, 05:28 PM
MYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really nice
Use a GoPro or how about having a friend or loved one next to you in a car to look and see at 75 mph?I think your over thinking this...then again... may be not?

Old 07-28-2012, 06:15 PM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GOLENJEEPTJ
Use a GoPro or how about having a friend or loved one next to you in a car to look and see at 75 mph?I think your over thinking this...then again... may be not?
I used a GoPro Hero 2..,

Old 07-28-2012, 06:46 PM
MYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really nice
Originally Posted by JoelPirela
I used a GoPro Hero 2..,
Yup..that's exactly what I have! There great! lol

Old 07-28-2012, 11:13 PM
mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !
Just drive by a dark SUV or van on the freeway and check your reflection. Also shiny walled trucks work well too.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:49 AM
paddyh is infamous around these parts
Use the shadow of the car (early morning or late afternoon is best of course). This will tell you if it is up or not.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:27 AM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
Strap someone to the roof and go for a spin. Have them tap 3 times on the roof when the spoiler activates. Do it at least 6-8 times to make sure that it's working reliably.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:03 AM
kaischi is infamous around these parts
You could put some adhesive tape on it, preferably something with strong adhesion and low tensile strength

Old 07-29-2012, 05:08 PM
amge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond repute
Gentlemen, thanks for the great pointers... I thought there would be one secret way of doing this but apparently not. I'm making the trip again tomorrow so I'll try to put a few of them to use. My family tend to NOT indulge in my silly little wonderings about my car, I'm glad this forum does!

I'll put some tape on it first, have my 18 year old son peek while I'm driving and also try to verify it against a stainless steel milk truck if I can find one! And mount my iphone on the inside to film it at speed. That should do it!

Old 07-29-2012, 05:49 PM
Good luck....it sounds like you might need it?lol

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What's the easiest way to check if the rear hydraulic spoiler is working?