997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Updating my 997.1 to 997.2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 12:31 PM
myw
myw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to behold
question sirs, is the gts sport classic bumper a 'wide' bumper like the oem turbo bumper? im wondering if the wheel well lining needs to be upgraded if you want to rid the 1 inch gap (what ive seen from those with NB cars doing turbo front end conversions).

thanks in advance!

Originally Posted by qikqbn
Congrats on the conversion. I did this same GTS front conversion last year on my 997.1 C4S. Because I have the wide body I was also able to add the GTS/GT2 rocker side skirts. It was such a great update and transformation that I still feel like I have a new car even after owning it 3 years.

To PasPar : "so a 2011 GTS bumper cover just bolts onto a 997.1 or do you need to mod mounting points etc? how did the LED wire up? "

This is a pricey conversion to go from 997.1 to this 997.2 setup. Much easier and cheaper if you start with a 997.2... BUT For the 997.1 conversion. You have to:
-- update the bumper
-- 2 LED turn signals
--2 new radiator shrouds
--2 new headlight washer nozzle assemblies
--2 grills
--2 cable loom wiring harness' to run to LEDs
--new center mouth air deflector
--lower lip spoiler
--plus the wiring diagram to splice the led cable looms into your existing turn signal main cable that runs the length of the bumper.
--Painting

it's a $3000-4000 conversion after all is said and done... to me, worth every penny. I got my car fully loaded and with great interior options that
are not easy to find. I never felt the need to buy something newer, but just loved the front end on the Sport classic, speedster, and GTS.
Dectane LED lights for the rears really make it complete and give it a nice updated look.

Originally Posted by AP1to911
first time posting my car up..
my 997.?

my 997.2 GT3RS airbag and wheel

it was worth every Penny!
still work in Progress ..

Old 12-13-2013, 02:51 PM
qikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by myw
question sirs, is the gts sport classic bumper a 'wide' bumper like the oem turbo bumper? im wondering if the wheel well lining needs to be upgraded if you want to rid the 1 inch gap (what ive seen from those with NB cars doing turbo front end conversions).

thanks in advance!
My original 997.1 front bumper for the C4S was identical to C2S narrow body front bumper. So I did not have to change my wheel well liners for the GTS bumper to fit properly.... lots of other things to swap out, but not the wheel well liners. So this should work or 997.1 C2S. I saw another silver C2S do the GTS bumper conversion. They did not mention any wheel liner issues. So you thinking of going for it?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	80-_d8c0592_zf_4233_34065_1_001_ducktail1_custom__cd15ae87c019d4bb9b3a05d915792d6fb8984ecd.jpg
Views:	3343
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	311333  
Old 12-13-2013, 02:53 PM
myw
myw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to behold
lol YES!

and always, thank you!

Originally Posted by qikqbn
So you thinking of going for it?

Old 12-13-2013, 03:16 PM
qikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by myw
lol YES!

and always, thank you!

Sure, I hope I didn't influence you to drop some serious coin on a bumper conversion

Seriously though... a friend asked me the other day... should I do an exterior upgrade like wheels/spoiler or engine mods?? I had never really thought about it that way, but I was torn. I told him one of my favorite mods is my front bumper conversion. I look and stare at my car so often, embarrased to admit it and wife hates when I do it ;^) , but it does not have to be moving to enjoy it. I love looking at it standing still, like a big kid admiring his favorite toy car. The exterior modifications I did make the car look so sharp that to me it is even more special now then before as stock. I also take pride in knowing these are still Porsche OEM parts. You don't see a lot of these bumpers either, so you will have a unique looking car at most PCA events and get lots of compliments. I like standing back and watching all the double takes at my car at these events. I can see people checking out model year clues and scratching their heads as to what year 997 they are looking at. They finally figure out its a 997.1 and they are always impressed

Old 07-14-2014, 03:18 PM
myw
one step closer to the dream.

almost there!

picked up
- 997.2 grills (bought extra black one since one of my silver ones not in best condition... can have htem painted and 3m)
- 997.2 inner rad + centre shrouds (4 plastic pieces)
- 997.2 front oem LED's
- 997.2 rear bumper with parking sensor holes + brand new rear aftermarket parking sensors
- trazit bluHF for wireless audio access to my phone (music+phone calls)
- (unpictured) 3M film for 997.2 front bumper + 991 'P O R S C H E 911' badging.

still need
- 997.2 front bumper+lip
- 997.2 washer nozzles
- 997.2 rear clear leds - just found a set
- rear exhuast tip black bumper 'shrouds'
- rears i will likely use fvd converter and front led's i will likely wire up myself thanks to bill's help

thank you everyone thus far!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	rearBumper.jpg
Views:	1390
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	396513   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo copy.JPG
Views:	1399
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	396514  

Last edited by myw; 07-14-2014 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:44 PM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
Hmm. I congratulate you brother....you love your car....i would have sold and bought a 997.2. But it might have been a little bit more expensive...nevertheless your car looks gooood.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:58 PM
myw
thank you slick rick!

i've one the math, factoring in the fact that i am being patient to buy the parts used (very good condition), after paint, 3m on front bumper (+ a little added to the sides of the repainted rear bumper) the conversion will run me roughly 5-6 grand (parts+paint/install for both front+rear). hence factoring in 6 grand conversion cost i am saving approx 25-30 grand if buying a genuine 997.2 c2s with my options (adpative sport setas, full leather, sport chronise bose nav etc etc etc) and milage (15k when i purchased... car has 20k miles now). a large portion of that savings is going into my landscaping project that i am working on right now.

there will be no downtime for me enjoying the car as i will be having the work done when the car would be in storage anyways (winter weather).

thank you again rick, and thanks to qikqbn + ap1to911 that has helped me greatly thus far.

Originally Posted by slicky rick
Hmm. I congratulate you brother....you love your car....i would have sold and bought a 997.2. But it might have been a little bit more expensive...nevertheless your car looks gooood.

Last edited by myw; 07-14-2014 at 05:05 PM.