997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Convertible Sport Cars

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 09:22 PM
PSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
I think OP was just expressing his opinion about why he would prefer a hardtop and not trying to put anyone "down" for his/her choice. Sounds like the experience with his current cabriolet may influence his future purchase.

Interestingly, many of the points listed by the OP are also my personal reasons for preferring coupes over convertibles or cabriolets. One more thing I would add is that I always presumed (true or not) that coupes are less prone to creaks and rattles. And I like the sleeker lines.

Those of you with Cabs, it would be nice to read some more of your opinions about why you like the open-top cars over hardtop ones? Is it just the "wind in the hair" factor, is there a higher "cool" factor, do you feel that the lines look better,.......?

Old 08-04-2012, 09:29 PM
PSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
Oh, I forgot to mention... Coupes are better for those of us with allergies!

Old 08-04-2012, 09:31 PM
mseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by PSPorsche
I think OP was just expressing his opinion about why he would prefer a hardtop and not trying to put anyone "down" for his/her choice. Sounds like the experience with his current cabriolet may influence his future purchase.

Interestingly, many of the points listed by the OP are also my personal reasons for preferring coupes over convertibles or cabriolets. One more thing I would add is that I always presumed (true or not) that coupes are less prone to creaks and rattles. And I like the sleeker lines.

Those of you with Cabs, it would be nice to read some more of your opinions about why you like the open-top cars over hardtop ones? Is it just the "wind in the hair" factor, is there a higher "cool" factor, do you feel that the lines look better,.......?
Yes, wind in the hair, smell of the outdoors, sound of the motor.
Try taking a drive at sunset on a cool summer evening in the mountains. In a car with so little flex, why not give yourself the option of an experience like this? Not much to lose. But if you live in a big city and it's a dd, I can see that it's a totally different deal.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:12 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Get a hardtop convertible, problem solved. lol. I prefer hardtop over fabric tops too. Nothing beats top down driving on a cool summer night, having your windows down and sunroof open isn't the same.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:46 AM
tommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud of
I always felt differently about the Convertibles....yes....certainly all of the reasons that mseligson mentions are really hard to put into words that capture the real feelings of the top down experience!

The thing that I love that hasn't been mentioned yet IS the look....I love the fabric top which is why I don't like the 991 (one of a myraid of reasons) and I don't like the coupes. So old school sports cars. Grew up owning English and Italian sports cars so I'm both spoiled and influenced by those experiences.

So I LOVE THE CABS!!!!

Best,

Tom

Old 08-05-2012, 06:32 AM
MI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Ynot
Get a hardtop convertible..
chuckle - an old guy's cliche : "back in my day" a hardtop convertible was a car who's front and rear windows weren't separated by a B pillar

nothing wrong with not wanting a convert/cab, I don't..

I've owned 2 (and a '70s Targa) - the 1st one while living in Hawaii - should be the ideal place to own one, right ? wrong ! one never drives long distances there and when getting to your destination the top always needed to be put "up" - plus the drive was constantly being interupted by those pesky tropical rain showers - convertible in Hawaii - not a good idea

the 2nd was owned here in Tejas - too hot, period ! Plus the darned top kept getting "unadjusted" and would allow rain to leak to the inside - not a joy

retractable hardtops - to me they look like someone used a can opener on the top

tops up on any convert/cab that I can think of - not good looking at all

tops down on most converts/cabs that I can think of - very good looking

by the way, when I win the lottery, I'm getting this and forcing myself to live with it, pure beauty :

Old 08-05-2012, 07:01 AM
aproo is infamous around these partsaproo is infamous around these parts
People always tell me Porsche makes the best looking cabriolets hands down

Old 08-05-2012, 09:06 AM
roelricardo is infamous around these parts
Nice!! And funny👍

Originally Posted by Dadio
I'm sure you fell better having gotten that off your chest. However, as this is not the "doctorphil6speeddonlineforum" please excuse us if we don't have any constructive advice for you regarding your deep-seated resentment of convertible sports cars. I might offer though that you should seek professional help immediately as failing to do so could result in headaches, insomnia and potentially harmful psychotic episodes.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:38 AM
roelricardo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Forujames
I bet you are not to keen on motorcycles either.
You are wrong I love motorcycles and there is a complete different story than a convertible or cabriolet, I own a BMW R60/2 1966, KTM Six Days 450, Beta 290 EVO trial bike, Vespa scooter PX 200 and I ride almost every week on any of this, weekend on the trial or I go enduro.

And I also like bicycles I have a Scoot Genius 40 that I ride also

Last edited by roelricardo; 08-05-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:28 AM
thrashek is a name known to allthrashek is a name known to allthrashek is a name known to allthrashek is a name known to allthrashek is a name known to allthrashek is a name known to all
The Porsche Cabriolet/Targa have generally had a harder time maintaining their value in the used market. The best attributes of a Cabriolet can't be enjoyed year-round etc... and those who live in beautiful climates year-round (looking at you guys in San Diego), you're incredibly lucky. That said, I'm excited with the 991 cabriolet becuase I think it does a fantastic job of maintaining the original 911 roofline, while receiving the benefits of a lighter weight top (unlike some of the other alternatives that have very very heavy removable roofs). Good job Porsche, and keep it coming... 'cuz we like em all. We all wish we had another home in San Diego, and had both the cab and the coupe (each for their best attributes). Summary - Work Harder & Smarter.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by strashek
the 991 cabriolet becuase I think it does a fantastic job of maintaining the original 911 roofline
The Porsche site only has 3/4 views of the 991 cabriolet. Could you post or link to a side view?

Old 08-08-2012, 11:10 AM
krysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant future
I love convertibles ( I have m3 convertible as well as Ferrari 360 spider), except Porsche. Somehow to me the coupe looks much better, maybe its the roof line aligning with the rear.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:04 PM
Banned
JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MI55LE
chuckle - an old guy's cliche : "back in my day" a hardtop convertible was a car who's front and rear windows weren't separated by a B pillar

nothing wrong with not wanting a convert/cab, I don't..

I've owned 2 (and a '70s Targa) - the 1st one while living in Hawaii - should be the ideal place to own one, right ? wrong ! one never drives long distances there and when getting to your destination the top always needed to be put "up" - plus the drive was constantly being interupted by those pesky tropical rain showers - convertible in Hawaii - not a good idea

the 2nd was owned here in Tejas - too hot, period ! Plus the darned top kept getting "unadjusted" and would allow rain to leak to the inside - not a joy

retractable hardtops - to me they look like someone used a can opener on the top

tops up on any convert/cab that I can think of - not good looking at all

tops down on most converts/cabs that I can think of - very good looking

by the way, when I win the lottery, I'm getting this and forcing myself to live with it, pure beauty :

While I would dearly love to have a 911 coupe or Cayman in the garage as my "fun car," my wife insists that we have at least one topless car. If mama ain't happy, NOBODY is happy, so we have a cab.

The Maser shown and the DB9 are both awesomely beautiful cars, but try and find a knowledgeable technician if something goes South. And something WILL go South at some point.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:42 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
FYI - topless is not for everyone...

A picture is worth thousand words.

(Jacky Ickx and K.-F. Schheufele in 1955 550 A Spyder - I couldn't find this pic online so i had to take a pic of the magazine )

Attached Images  
Old 08-08-2012, 09:47 PM
Wanderingwheelz is infamous around these parts
My daily driver has a roof. For my half hour of play time every now and then, I want the top down, thank you very much.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Convertible Sport Cars