997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Concealed Gun Carry - best solution? Porsche 911

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 08:43 PM
ArainLA has a spectacular aura aboutArainLA has a spectacular aura aboutArainLA has a spectacular aura about
I live in Los Angeles and happily never needed a gun.
That spot just seems so easy to get to.
Lived next door to a neighbor whose child got to the gun and it was a tragic incident where luckily the other child lived didn't die.

I guess I've been lucky and never had a rub with any criminal elements.
Driven many nice cars and never had a time where I felt my safety was at risk, without my doing (HDPE with the wrong group?).

Old 08-06-2012, 10:05 PM
Glassman is infamous around these parts
Almost perfect, but mine needs to be black leather with red deviated stitching!
:-)

Old 08-07-2012, 08:51 AM
Banned
JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !
My wife and I both have concealed handgun licenses, but neither one of us carry our handguns very often at all unless we travel out of town. Having a CHL for us is more of a convenience than a necessity, and the course was very informative about our liabilities and responsibilities when carrying a handgun. Obtaining a license also requires a background check, and a LEO has access to this information when/if I am pulled over. In my mind, a LEO has less to be concerned about with a person who has a CHL (armed or not) in a traffic stop, because a CHL holder has a verified clean background. When we travel and have a handgun in the car, it's usually in the trunk, not in the passenger compartment.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:37 AM
mark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud of
Unless they're at the shooting range, help me understand why would anyone need to carry a gun around... is it a form of protection? fun? help me understand...

Old 08-07-2012, 09:59 AM
Banned
JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !
For some, it's for defensive protection. For others, it's just trying to make up for a short or nonfunctional ***** and/or an underdeveloped ego.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:03 AM
mark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud of
Smile

Originally Posted by JB in AR
For some, it's for defensive protection. For others, it's just trying to make up for a short or nonfunctional ***** and/or an underdeveloped ego.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:27 AM
jss67 is infamous around these parts
Horseback was the main mode of transportation when the 2nd amendment was written.......

Old 08-07-2012, 10:32 AM
tssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by JB in AR
My wife and I both have concealed handgun licenses, but neither one of us carry our handguns very often at all unless we travel out of town. Having a CHL for us is more of a convenience than a necessity, and the course was very informative about our liabilities and responsibilities when carrying a handgun. Obtaining a license also requires a background check, and a LEO has access to this information when/if I am pulled over. In my mind, a LEO has less to be concerned about with a person who has a CHL (armed or not) in a traffic stop, because a CHL holder has a verified clean background. When we travel and have a handgun in the car, it's usually in the trunk, not in the passenger compartment.
I respect everyone's right to carry or not, but to be honest, I don't understand your rationale for when and where you carry. Your protocol suggests that you (and your wife) have the ability to know when and where you might need it. How many examples of evil - occuring anywhere at anytime - does one need to realize that unless you're carrying 100% of the time you're vulnerable. Sad reality and I wish it wasn't so, but I'm not up for willingly being some mopes victim because his/her mother did not like them and they want to take it out on me.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:35 AM
cavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by tssci
I respect everyone's right to carry or not, but to be honest, I don't understand your rationale for when and where you carry. Your protocol suggests that you (and your wife) have the ability to know when and where you might need it. How many examples of evil - occuring anywhere at anytime - does one need to realize that unless you're carrying 100% of the time you're vulnerable. Sad reality and I wish it wasn't so, but I'm not up for willingly being some mopes victim because his/her mother did not like them and they want to take it out on me.
Agreed.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:37 AM
NC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant future
Back to the original topic...

Gum Creek makes a nifty holster mount that attaches under the steering column. You have to provide the holster. If attached properly, it's a very secure mount.

http://www.gumcreekcustoms.com/

Just remember, "When seconds count, the po-po are only minutes away!..)

Old 08-07-2012, 11:12 AM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 2006997C4SCab
He and the arresting officers felt he was a dead man had the Perp not bailed out of the car. (He was already wanted for murder.) In this case, the good guy lucked out. I'd rather be prepared than lucky.

Also, Texas monitors and records problems with CHLs and I'm told at each CHL refresher that CHL violence with a handgun incidents are negligible. The training I originally received was by two active police officers that said they were happy to see us in class and that the problems they encounter are NOT from licensed CHL's. It makes sense. The bad guys will always have access to guns.

When I flew F-14s there were two kinds of airplane. Pointy nose and targets. You decide where you fit in all this.

Walt
walt, i asked for scenarios where a person will need a gun in a car in an urban setting.. because i was curious.

i didn't ask for your stance on CHL..

Old 08-07-2012, 01:15 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by tssci
You have your "protocol," and we have ours. I've managed to survive being shot at in two separate wars without serious injury or apparent ill effect. When and where to carry are personal choices and are not always based on "knowing" anything. I actually find carrying concealed to be uncomfortable, restrictive in where I can go, and a general PITA most of the time. Fires probably kill more people in most places annually than being shot by a bad actor, but I think I'll take my chances and not carry around a fire extinguisher all the time either.

Why is it that some people carry around handguns for "when the SHTF," but most times when the "SHTF" it's the one with the gun who starts throwing the "S" at the "F?"

Old 08-07-2012, 01:17 PM
sizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ArainLA
I live in Los Angeles and happily never needed a gun.
That spot just seems so easy to get to.
Lived next door to a neighbor whose child got to the gun and it was a tragic incident where luckily the other child lived didn't die.

I guess I've been lucky and never had a rub with any criminal elements.
Driven many nice cars and never had a time where I felt my safety was at risk, without my doing (HDPE with the wrong group?).
I'm LA and all I can say is that you need to be able to handle yourself in unpredictable situations. There has been tons of break-ins and home invasions in my area (between 405 and Coldwater Canyon off Mulholland) that just aren't being talked about.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:26 PM
WaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond repute
CC,

Here is one:
A couple years ago my wife was at the state fair in Dallas. Afterwards at night, while walking to the car with the kids she noticed someone following her. She told the kids to walk faster. But so did the person following them. When she got within a few cars away from hers she told the kids to make a run for it. As they got into the car and locked the doors behind them the person that had been following them arrived and tried to open the back door. He then moved to the front driver side door and started banging on the window yelling for her to open the door. Luckily she had her keys readily available., maintained some composure, started the car and took off. She was very lucky. At that time she did not have a pistol nor was she interested in one. She does now and is.
Let's play the what if game:
What if he broke her window and grabbed her arm?
What if he was able to get in the back seat with one of the kids?

I'm sure the LEO on this thread can chime in as to how many times he knows of where the outcome could have been different had the victim been armed.

Walt

walt, i asked for scenarios where a person will need a gun in a car in an urban setting.. because i was curious.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:32 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 2006997C4SCab
CC,

Here is one:
A couple years ago my wife was at the state fair in Dallas. Afterwards at night, while walking to the car with the kids she noticed someone following her. She told the kids to walk faster. But so did the person following them. When she got within a few cars away from hers she told the kids to make a run for it. As they got into the car and locked the doors behind them the person that had been following them arrived and tried to open the back door. He then moved to the front driver side door and started banging on the window yelling for her to open the door. Luckily she had her keys readily available., maintained some composure, started the car and took off. She was very lucky. At that time she did not have a pistol nor was she interested in one. She does now and is.
Let's play the what if game:
What if he broke her window and grabbed her arm?
What if he was able to get in the back seat with one of the kids?

I'm sure the LEO on this thread can chime in as to how many times he knows of where the outcome could have been different had the victim been armed.

Walt
1st of all, i am glad ur wife and kids were not harmed and made it safely back home. Thats the most important thing.

2nd, once again, u talk about an experience where someone was in danger.. but made it out safely without a gun in the car.

3rd- u seem to like the 'what if' game..

what if she did have a gun and when she tried to use it, the perp pulls out his gun and shoots first? maybe even hitting one of the kids in the back ??

what if she shot him first.. but in such a panic situation, she does not hit him in a vital organ and he returns fire ?

i remember a scene from 'before the devil knows you are dead' where the old lady jeweler shoots the thief, yet the thief is able to fire off few rounds, thus killing her..

i've been shot in my stomach/lung before with a 9mm.. but if i had a gun in hand at that time, i would have definitely shot back to kill even tho i am shot.

anyway, my point was that just because someone has a weapon on hand doesn't guarantee safety.. but i am curious to find out how and in which situations would a gun help u in the car when u r driving around in the city.

would u try to pull your gun if u r getting car-jacked ? or would u just give the car to the thief knowing the car is not worth your life ?

the only other scenario would be, similar to your story, if u r being followed to your car in the dark and deserted street.. but we all learned not to be in that situation to begin with.. didn't we ?

like i said before, if u r a LEO or traveling in a rural area, a gun for self defense is almost a necessity.. so i am not here to convince anyone of anything.. but just wondering what some people are afraid of happening.. or share a story about the time the gun in your car actually saved your life. (not 'i wish i had a gun at that time' story)

btw, if i lived in texas, i would prob have a gun rack on my truck and Porsche..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Concealed Gun Carry - best solution? Porsche 911