997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

What to use to Clean Dashboard?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 11:51 PM
80FIVE is infamous around these parts
What to use to Clean Dashboard?

What is the best thing to Clean and condition the dashboard and seats on a 997.2? Please help!

Old 08-17-2012, 04:16 AM
amge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 80FIVE
What is the best thing to Clean and condition the dashboard and seats on a 997.2? Please help!
Regular (non-fancy) dash? Just wipe it with a damp rag. Unless you gooped some other junk on the dash, you can just keep it clean with frequent wipes.

All other leather surfaces, including the fancy leather dash if you have one use a good leather cleaner and conditioner. I've tried all kinds of brands, none of them stood out particularly great over another brand. All I can say is something is better than nothing. I'm currently on Griot's leather products. No complaints. The leather rejuvenator takes a while to absorb in, but it does make it really supple. So if I know I'm not driving the car for a few days, I will put some conditioner on it. It also puts the leather smell in the car as a side effect.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:00 AM
OKB
OKB is infamous around these parts
hot water, and then use some leather conditioner

Old 08-17-2012, 07:14 AM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Warning: NEVER EVER use conditioner on dash leather. Read your manuals.

Leather for the dash is a completely different animal than what is used on seats. It is dried, dyed and stretched before use, and any moisturizing conditioners can have an adverse effect on this area of the vehicle. Since the sun and heat take a toll, this area is prepared by Porsche in a very different fashion. Conditioning can actually cause the leather to loosen, bubble or get worse over time.

Condition your seats once/year, or areas that you touch (door parts, etc), but don't condition the dash. Wipe with microfiber (moist if you need to but not dripping) and dry with a separate microfiber.

I've used warm suds and microfiber on seats for years, usually once/year, let dry, then apply Lexol Leather Conditioner with my hands - yes, hands - to all leather areas. Let sit, buff five minutes later, let dry rest of day. Seems to work extremely well, not too much conditioner or you will get stickiness. And less is more in this case. Seats and door sections, leather lid of rear console storage, etc. But never the dash.

Last edited by Eric (Plug Guy); 08-17-2012 at 07:19 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:38 AM
jsimon77 is infamous around these parts
Old 08-17-2012, 08:52 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
I spray Zaino leather cleaner on a micro fiber glove and wipe the dash area.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:52 AM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
My dash is not leather and I just spray some aerospace 303 onto a small microfiber towel and wipe down anything that is non leather. use leather conditioner on the seats and door components about every six months.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:00 AM
TomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the rough
If dust is a regular problem where you live, use one of those fuzzy microfiber dusters first. Then if it's a regular dash, 303 Aerospace on a cloth.
Takes about a minute

Old 08-17-2012, 11:14 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
That's the first I heard about not treating leather dash. Thanks for the heads up. Leather does dry and then crack though. Why is conditioning bad?

Even on vinyl dash, cracks develop from sun damage. Using a heat shield is vital for outdoor cars.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:36 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Eric (Plug Guy)
Warning: NEVER EVER use conditioner on dash leather. Read your manuals.

Leather for the dash is a completely different animal than what is used on seats. It is dried, dyed and stretched before use, and any moisturizing conditioners can have an adverse effect on this area of the vehicle. Since the sun and heat take a toll, this area is prepared by Porsche in a very different fashion. Conditioning can actually cause the leather to loosen, bubble or get worse over time.

Condition your seats once/year, or areas that you touch (door parts, etc), but don't condition the dash. Wipe with microfiber (moist if you need to but not dripping) and dry with a separate microfiber.

I've used warm suds and microfiber on seats for years, usually once/year, let dry, then apply Lexol Leather Conditioner with my hands - yes, hands - to all leather areas. Let sit, buff five minutes later, let dry rest of day. Seems to work extremely well, not too much conditioner or you will get stickiness. And less is more in this case. Seats and door sections, leather lid of rear console storage, etc. But never the dash.
Thank you for the heads up, i was planing on cleaning it with a leather cleaner and then use a conditioner.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:38 AM
What do you guys think about the cleaning/conditioning products that they sell at the dealership?

Old 08-17-2012, 12:18 PM
PKing Fast has a spectacular aura aboutPKing Fast has a spectacular aura aboutPKing Fast has a spectacular aura about
----

Last edited by PKing Fast; 10-09-2020 at 08:03 PM.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:09 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Clean the interior using Lumiere All-Natural Leather Cleaner. Simply spray on mf towel, and clean the dash. On leather seats, spray directly on the seats, agitate with horse hair brush, then wipe with mf towel.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...ior/Categories

If leather, condition with Sonax Leather Foam. If plastic/vinyl, condition using 303 Aerosprace.

To maintain, use Sonax Dashboard Cleaner. Simply spray on mf towel, and wipe leather, plastics, nav screen, etc. Great product and leaves a nice satin finish.