997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

2 washers installed on drain plug for oil change?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 11:31 PM
wolfnards has a spectacular aura aboutwolfnards has a spectacular aura about
2 washers installed on drain plug for oil change?

Thanks for the DIY posts on this forum, I changed oil for the first time ever on my 997.2 today. Ordered 2 sets each of the oil filters and drain plugs from Suncoast. The drain plugs came with 4 washers (for 2 sets), so i installed 2 washers on the drain plug.

Is this incorrect? if so, should I remove/replace the drain plug with 1 washer and refill any oil i lose? that seems like a mess, but i should probably do the right thing. thanks in advance.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:43 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think you will have an issue with 2 washers. You will still have plenty of thread engagement. I would keep an eye on it for any signs of dripping oil but I doubt you will see any. Next time just use one.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:53 PM
Thanks as always, Alan!

Old 08-22-2012, 06:57 AM
Banned
semicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond repute
The second washer is for the next oil change. Reuse the plug, swap the washer.

No worries now - leave both on as long as you have no leaking. But next time use one and save one for later.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:50 AM
thanks for the reassurance, folks!

Old 08-22-2012, 09:11 AM
Banned
JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !
Washers are cheap, and they probably did this because some folks (like me ) choose to change their oil more frequently than called for in the maintenance interval recommended by Porsche, and they swap out the filter every OTHER oil change. Therefore, someone on this schedule would be needing twice as many washers.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it...

Old 08-22-2012, 10:27 AM
thrashek is a name known to allthrashek is a name known to allthrashek is a name known to allthrashek is a name known to allthrashek is a name known to allthrashek is a name known to all
While the 997.2 cars don't have some of the same issues as 997.1 cars, I still recommend you get the LN Engineering Magnetic Drain Plug. Plenty of good reasons, and a great preventative measure for long-term owners.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:14 AM
Banned
JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by strashek
While the 997.2 cars don't have some of the same issues as 997.1 cars, I still recommend you get the LN Engineering Magnetic Drain Plug. Plenty of good reasons, and a great preventative measure for long-term owners.
Great recommendation. I just went on-line and ordered one myself because it makes sense. Thanks!