997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

URGENT - Electrical Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 12:16 PM
fastm3 is infamous around these parts
URGENT - Electrical Problem

Hadn't driven the car due to rain for a couple of days. The rain let out so I decide to go for a ride. After a few minutes I get a warning under the tach saying the top is not completely engaged or something (2006 997 Cab). Then a few seconds later while I'm still driving, I get a system fault message and the horn starts beeping intermittently. I figure maybe it really has something to do with the top, even though it was in fact completely closed. I turn the engine off, turn it back on again, open the top completely, try to close it again, but it doesn't close. Then the message says something about the engine lid being open, and then "Failure Spolier Control". I get out, and sure enough the engine lid is open, and the spoiler is fully extended. Mind you, the engine lid was definitely closed before, and my speed never even reached 35 mph, so I don't know why the spoiler became extended?

So now, my spoiler is still extended, and won't go down using the switch. My top is open, and won't close, and the "Failure Spolier Control" is on, as well as a message telling me to take it to a shop! WTF.....??

What could be causing all this? Maybe something got wet and shorted?

Old 09-03-2012, 01:49 PM
Just confirmed that that the Carpet on the drivers side (only) is wet. How could water be getting in, and how could that possibly cause these sorts of electrical gremlins? I would have thought that the Porsche engineers would be smart enough to locate the critical electrical modules so they'd be less likely to get wet!

Last edited by fastm3; 09-03-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:10 PM
OKB
OKB is infamous around these parts
theres water in the car and it could be into any number of; switches, computer modules, components. First just let it dry out for a couple days, pull back carpet and insullation that is wet, let it air out as best as you can.
If you see anything obvious with water on it, have it checked when you take it to the dealer.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:44 PM
Upon closer inspection, there is actually a CONSIDERABLE amount of water in the rear drivers side footwell, and lesser amount in the front drivers side footwell. There is also just a bit of dampness in the trunk, under the carpet there.

I looked all underneath the drivers side of the car. Didn't see anything that look like obviously like clogged drain tubes. Keep in mind the car is a cab, so there are obviously no sunroof drains that could be clogged. Clearly there must be other drains that are clogged, and I need to find out where they are, and how to clean them. All this water HAS TO be the source of all the electrical malfunctions. Hopefully there's no lasting damage!

Old 09-03-2012, 03:56 PM
I just noticed a gap between the windshield and the plastic surround, on the driver's side.

This could very well be where the water is coming in:

Old 09-04-2012, 05:59 AM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
I wouldn t think that last pic is a sealed piece. It looks just like a cover. One thing to consider, I just had it happen on the wifes cars. The AC condensor line which was located unders the dash was clogged causing the flloor to be soaked. Don t know if thats an issue with these cars???

Old 09-04-2012, 10:16 AM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Read a recent post on water collecting in the rear passenger floor and the OP indicated that the cause was sand and other stuff that getting trapped between the wheel well liners and the inner fenders. The area where to two meet in the front of the fender well is the exit area for the drains in the cab storage area. You can check the area by removing the rear wheels ( not sure you can get to all the fasteners on the liners without removing the wheels first but you can give it try ) and the fender liners and clean the forward area of the inner fender of any road grime that's collected there. Will a post a link to the OP if I can find it. As for the wet electrics, once wet, the controller is a lost cause due to water induced corrosion that will show up later on.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...riolet-owners/

Last edited by Dadio; 09-04-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:31 AM
Thanks very much guys.

@ cerbomark - I don't think it's the AC because I haven't turned it on lately. Normally drive with the top open!

@ Dadio - Thanks for the link to the thread. I think that's probably exactly what happened. I'm going to try to check those drain holes out later on today, and I'm fairly sure they're plugged up. Unfortunately there's still quite a bit of water trapped under the driver's seat and carpeting, which will take some time to dry out completely. My fear is that whatever electronic modules got wet might be toast! Any idea which modules reside there, so I can try to get a cost to replace them if necessary?

Old 09-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
It's the rear control unit which would explain the issues you're having with electrics in the rear of the car. They run a few hundred bucks so you'll want to confirm my diagnosis with your dealer before buying the part. As for the water, I'd take a wet dry vac to it to remove as much water as you can. Problem is you really need to remove the seat, rear firewall carpet and the carpet on the floor to properly dry out of the cars interior and this won't be a small task. Failure to do so will lead to rust in places you don't want rust. I'd check with your insurance company to see if they will cover having your dealer make the necessary repairs. Certainly worth checking into. If not, call your dealer and see what advise they can offer regarding properly addressing the problem.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:38 PM
Just talked to the dealer. Seems like they've seen this a number of times before. He said the same thing: Both seats, carpet and console need to come out to properly dry the interior. Will also need the control module. His estimate for the damage - at least $2000 and maybe more. Really sucks!

Guys.....clean out those drains!!

Old 09-04-2012, 01:15 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
Is this cabs only or coupes too? Any links to pics would be very helpful.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:57 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dadio
Read a recent post on water collecting in the rear passenger floor and the OP indicated that the cause was sand and other stuff that getting trapped between the wheel well liners and the inner fenders. The area where to two meet in the front of the fender well is the exit area for the drains in the cab storage area. You can check the area by removing the rear wheels ( not sure you can get to all the fasteners on the liners without removing the wheels first but you can give it try ) and the fender liners and clean the forward area of the inner fender of any road grime that's collected there. Will a post a link to the OP if I can find it. As for the wet electrics, once wet, the controller is a lost cause due to water induced corrosion that will show up later on.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...riolet-owners/
thx for the link !

Old 09-04-2012, 03:43 PM
http://www.callasrennsport.com/tag/porsche-cowl-drains/

Found this simple description. I assume coupes do not have the rear fender drains and under seat pans????

Old 09-06-2012, 05:40 PM
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...ttach_id=26444

Link to pic of the offending gravel.