997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

New iPhone 5 won't work with Porsche Iphone cable?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 09:52 AM
spyerx is a jewel in the roughspyerx is a jewel in the roughspyerx is a jewel in the rough
It's just a matter of 1 device. Plus, I use my iphone for streaming pandora and other online music sources, navigon (navigation, I refuse to buy a car and pay extra for navigation call me cheap) and that 1 cable is very convenient for that, charging and the audio out + control.

Anyway, I don't really care that much, if I have to use the aux in and no control from the head unit, big deal.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:11 AM
dethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud of
my phone and my ipod have always been independent.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:33 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Porsche will certainly have the new connector. Probably by 2017.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:08 PM
Daniel Coldwell is infamous around these parts
I´ll remaind Android lol

Old 09-15-2012, 12:15 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by deckman
Porsche will certainly have the new connector. Probably by 2017.
Built in to the newest version of the PCM which will not be compatible with the last version of course. Porsche and Apple are a lot a like in that regard.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:30 PM
hakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Daniel Coldwell
I´ll remaind Android lol
Me too. The iphone is so inferior yet so many people love it. I get that the the fanboys and fangirls like the fact that it just works, but with jelly bean I can do so much more and love modding my gnex. Using my phone as a 4g lte hotspot while on the road with my laptop in the field has proven to be indispensable.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:17 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Just read an article on the adaptor that Apple is promising that quoted Apple sources as saying " the adaptor will work with some vehicles " . So getting the adaptor doesn't mean it will work with your car of choice. And the chances of it's being designed to work with the Porsche PCM unit....LOL

Old 09-16-2012, 07:00 AM
thebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nice
Originally Posted by Alan C.
My tech told me that Porsche did not like the way the iPhone kept changing it's protocol.
Translation: Porsche is living in an alternate universe. Their iPhone integration is idiotic. My GMC truck and so many other cars (at a fraction of the price) have a standard USB connector, like the Porsche should've had, then this would be a non issue.

That said, I'm sure Porsche will have a replacement cable at some point.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:42 PM
ArainLA has a spectacular aura aboutArainLA has a spectacular aura aboutArainLA has a spectacular aura about
Sorry but I am glad to be rid of my Samsung Galaxy SII and had a Samsung Focus Windows phone before, so Im not stuck on 1 platform.
My wife bought me the iphone and have not looked back.
I want the phone to be setup out of the box without weeks of tweaking.

I stream via A2DP and just use a cable for charging.
But that's on my VW since I have a 997.1 and I don't feel like jumping through hoops to get the phone connected to the stereo.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:11 PM
amoahkuc is infamous around these parts
I hope Denison comes up with a solution. I was hoping to install the phone with that unit, but if not I can still use the i-pod classic

Old 09-18-2012, 11:30 PM
ek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud of
They have adapters already for sale. I heard they don't work with all cars though. BMW and Mini are a couple that I have seen not to work.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:50 AM
ateece is infamous around these parts
My understanding is that they wont with Mini/BMW because they use iPod Out - if you look at a video on YouTube of someone using an iPod/Phone in one of these cars you'll see that it basically shows the Apple interface on screen.

The Porsche system (and all others that I've seen in cars) appears not to be as complex. They transfer the metadata about your music collection (playlists, artists, albums, tracks, etc), send command-and-control requests to play/stop/etc and then either transfer the audio digitally or via analogue. All of these interfaces are supposed to be supported with the adapter.

Either way, the wait is nearly over. My lightning-to-30-pin adapter is actually out for delivery at the moment and so I should be able to test and give a definitive answer on PCM 3 compatibility tonight.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:26 AM
Bokchoys is infamous around these parts
I kept my old iphone 3GS for car duties. I like having a dedicated ipod in the car for music. I don't want to pull out my iphone every time I want to listen to music off it.

Old 10-12-2012, 11:40 AM
LagunaDallas is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Bokchoys
I kept my old iphone 3GS for car duties. I like having a dedicated ipod in the car for music. I don't want to pull out my iphone every time I want to listen to music off it.
Exactly...I think this is the best way. iPhone 5 via Bluetooth for phone duty, and an old iPod I got for free during some promotion a while back stays in the car and gets updated every month or so. And I don't honestly think the iPhone 5 is all that much better than my old 4, and many of the improvements are part of the iOS6 software update anyways.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:59 PM
MBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by hakaida
Me too. The iphone is so inferior yet so many people love it. I get that the the fanboys and fangirls like the fact that it just works, but with jelly bean I can do so much more and love modding my gnex. Using my phone as a 4g lte hotspot while on the road with my laptop in the field has proven to be indispensable.
THIS!

Case closed, I've actually done this on roadtrips. The GF loves being able to watch youtube, etc, on the laptop while driving.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New iPhone 5 won't work with Porsche Iphone cable?