997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

New iPhone 5 won't work with Porsche Iphone cable?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 01:36 PM
Scoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Bokchoys
I kept my old iphone 3GS for car duties. I like having a dedicated ipod in the car for music. I don't want to pull out my iphone every time I want to listen to music off it.
Do you or any of the other dedicated iPod users ever have issues with drained car batteries? (i.e., does the iPod draw current both when the car is on or off?)

TIA
Ron

Old 10-12-2012, 02:21 PM
Bokchoys is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Scoper
Do you or any of the other dedicated iPod users ever have issues with drained car batteries? (i.e., does the iPod draw current both when the car is on or off?)

TIA
Ron
I'm pretty sure it only charges when the car is on. I hear the iphone beep when I get into the car. The "charging beep" sound. I'll check later.

In my BMW, i have an aftermarket ipod adapter and I've never had an issue with leaving an Ipod in the car. I've had it for 8+ years, and it's never discharged the battery.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:12 PM
ateece is infamous around these parts
Well the delivery company didn't bother to turn up before our office closed. So I guess the will-it-work/wont-it will have to wait until Monday

Old 10-12-2012, 03:33 PM
BLKonBLK911C4S is infamous around these parts
I'm pretty sure it only charges when the car is on. I hear the iphone beep when I get into the car. The "charging beep" sound. I'll check later.

In my BMW, i have an aftermarket ipod adapter and I've never had an issue with leaving an Ipod in the car. I've had it for 8+ years, and it's never discharged the battery.

No problem here, but my system is aftermarket.

Old 10-13-2012, 07:43 PM
arash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to behold
It definitely only charges when the car is on. The USB is inactive when the PCM is off.

I don't understand why Porsche needs to have a Y-cable. My entire Honda Fit cost less than the interior options on my 911 and it has a simple USB port in the glovebox. Plugged in the cable that came with the iPhone 5 and I'm good to go.

That said, for those of you complaining about the size of the center storage area, what might help the issue somewhat is this adapter:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...-02-m?fnode=48

The benefit here is that there isn't a giant rigid thing extending the length of the already-long phone, as you'd have with the other adapter Apple sells. It also helps a bit with the short length of the Porsche cable, adding ~20cm.

If it weren't for Spotify and Pandora I'd just throw all my music on a USB key and leave that in the car.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:24 PM
NYCEnglish is infamous around these parts
Same here, my Jeep has a simple USB connector which works perfectly with the iPhone 5.

Originally Posted by arash
It definitely only charges when the car is on. The USB is inactive when the PCM is off.

I don't understand why Porsche needs to have a Y-cable. My entire Honda Fit cost less than the interior options on my 911 and it has a simple USB port in the glovebox. Plugged in the cable that came with the iPhone 5 and I'm good to go.

That said, for those of you complaining about the size of the center storage area, what might help the issue somewhat is this adapter:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...-02-m?fnode=48

The benefit here is that there isn't a giant rigid thing extending the length of the already-long phone, as you'd have with the other adapter Apple sells. It also helps a bit with the short length of the Porsche cable, adding ~20cm.

If it weren't for Spotify and Pandora I'd just throw all my music on a USB key and leave that in the car.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:50 AM
sqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud of
Fwiw, not 997 but real world experience:

My lightning to 30 pin adapter arrived last week & tried it on my 08 e90 m3 this weekend. In that car it is using bmws old y cable (30 pin split to USB & headphone). Good news is audio & control worked just fine, bad news is it wouldn't charge. I'm about to switch to dedicated 3GS for the cars, so I'm not that bothered.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:30 AM
ateece is infamous around these parts
Talking

Well the cable arrived and with my 987 Gen 2 with PCM 3.0 everything worked. Charging, audio control, playback.

I bought the Lightning adapter cable rather than the small plastic lump and it fits fine. If anything it's easier to connect with this extra 20cm than it was with just the Porsche cable which I found a little in-flexible at times.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:52 AM
BrianALynch is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up Great

This is great news for I had read that the adaptor would limit some functions on audio equipment. My adaptor shipped but has not arrived yet,

thanks for the update

Old 10-17-2012, 06:42 AM
BrianALynch is infamous around these parts
Confirmed

I confirmed as well last evening that the Apple Lighting to 30-pin adapter does work and will control from your radio. Note: the adapter does not fit with a Speck I phone 5 case

So I will now be buying the Lightning adapter cable from Apple so I dont have to remove my case every time I plug into the P car.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:10 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by thebland
Translation: Porsche is living in an alternate universe. Their iPhone integration is idiotic. My GMC truck and so many other cars (at a fraction of the price) have a standard USB connector, like the Porsche should've had, then this would be a non issue.

That said, I'm sure Porsche will have a replacement cable at some point.
If you have the iphone interface in the car, you have the USB interface as well. But you cannot control the iPhone via the USB interface, so I'm not sure what your point on this is... can you clarify?

The issue is indeed Apple futzing around with the dock connector all the time. If Apple had provided a standard USB connector and a protocol for 3rd parties, then we wouldn't need special iPhone cables at all.

First Apple drops the 12v charging pin functionality from phones... so Porsche responds with an alternate cable that uses the 5v from the USB interface to feed the only remaining charge options for newer iOS devices.

Now Apple changes the connector completely. Here Porsche cannot respond with any solution to the older cars. While there is an adapter thats available, which will create an analog audio out from the all digital signals on the new connector, its my understanding that all the 'control signals' will not be available via the new connector adapter, so the ipod controls from the PCM will not work with an iPhone 5 connected through an Apple adapter. So the iPhone 5 and a are with the current iPod interface will be incompatible (so says This Week In Tech and other tech sites)... can someone with an iPhone5 and the Apple dock adapter verify this?

If I were Porsche, I'd drop iPhone control, or make any future designs modular, so they can have a user swappable module where they can, for $200 or something, upgrade the interface (hardware and software) by just replacing a module that is easily accessible.

Last edited by Minok; 10-19-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:42 PM
sqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Minok
If you have the iphone interface in the car, you have the USB interface as well. But you cannot control the iPhone via the USB interface, so I'm not sure what your point on this is... can you clarify?
I believe the point is that many other automakers have iPod/iphone integration with just a USB port for input. You plug in using standard apple cables, no car specific cable needed. It is still truly integrated, with head unit/steering wheel control etc.

Now Apple changes the connector completely. Here Porsche cannot respond with any solution to the older cars. While there is an adapter thats available, which will create an analog audio out from the all digital signals on the new connector, its my understanding that all the 'control signals' will not be available via the new connector adapter, so the ipod controls from the PCM will not work with an iPhone 5 connected through an Apple adapter. So the iPhone 5 and a are with the current iPod interface will be incompatible (so says This Week In Tech and other tech sites)... can someone with an iPhone5 and the Apple dock adapter verify this?
Your understanding is incorrect. The two posters directly above you confirmed that BOTH lightning>dock adapters (apple sells both an inlne plug and a version with 20cm of cable between the plugs) have allowed them to use their iPhone 5 with PCM and control/charge/play. there was a lot of confusion and misinfo before adapters shipped, see http://www.tuaw.com/2012/09/13/light...-ipod-out-doe/

Old 10-20-2012, 08:35 AM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
My wife talked into a Mac and iPhones. I don't like either, Mac/iPhone. I wouldn't skip buying a Porsche because an iPhone wouldn't work. I would skip on an iPhone that wouldn't work in a Porsche. I may go back to a Droid.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:56 AM
Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !
My 997 does not seem to have BT?

Old 10-20-2012, 06:25 PM
Fskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Darthvader
My 997 does not seem to have BT?

What year is your 997? Bluetooth was a factory option starting in 2009. All 997.1 (2005-2008) will need an aftermarket kit like Dension

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New iPhone 5 won't work with Porsche Iphone cable?