997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

New iPhone 5 won't work with Porsche Iphone cable?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 02:41 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by sqweak
I believe the point is that many other automakers have iPod/iphone integration with just a USB port for input. You plug in using standard apple cables, no car specific cable needed. It is still truly integrated, with head unit/steering wheel control etc.
That is interesting. For some reason I didn't think you could get full iPod controls and info via the USB interface, that there was some additional controlability or data that you could get with a full iDock interface vs a more limited set of capabilities and data via the USB connection (ie the USB would only give you typicall USB device playback just as if you were playing off of a memory stick). Do you still get to use defined playlists via the USB connection path?

If you can get full information and controll via USB, then why even bother with the iDock connection option? In reading your linked thread, it appears the 'iPod OUT' signal goes away via the adapter, so IF the Porsche uses that iPod OUT signalling to put an iPod display on the PCM (vs the generic track list you get via the USB mode), then the adapter would mean you loose that PCM based iPod display with associated data.

I'll have to try this out this weekend.

Originally Posted by sqweak
Your understanding is incorrect. The two posters directly above you confirmed that BOTH lightning>dock adapters (apple sells both an inlne plug and a version with 20cm of cable between the plugs) have allowed them to use their iPhone 5 with PCM and control/charge/play. there was a lot of confusion and misinfo before adapters shipped, see http://www.tuaw.com/2012/09/13/light...-ipod-out-doe/
That is good news. I think I heard about the issues with not all signals passing through the dock connector on "This Week in Tech". The only issue I see with the adapter is its size. There is barely enough room in the center cubby for the iPod I currently have, so I cannot see an iphone 5 with its greater length fitting in there. If the USB control system does work to control all the features and provide all the data, then a USB to lighting dock cable would seem the best option.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:28 PM
ad3998 is infamous around these parts
This is a bit off topic, but anyone here having problems "answering" calls via IPhone 5? I can't seem to get calls to answer by selecting "answer" on the dash/stalk....

Old 10-23-2012, 09:40 PM
LagunaDallas is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ad3998
This is a bit off topic, but anyone here having problems "answering" calls via IPhone 5? I can't seem to get calls to answer by selecting "answer" on the dash/stalk....
I just set up the Bluetooth on my 2009 yesterday and had the same issue with my new iPhone 5.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:13 PM
Can you dial out or answer the call via the PCM? That would verify the bluetooth connectivity. If you cannot answer the call via PCM then at least its likely not to be the OBC stalk system but something else.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:59 PM
Former Vendor
DelReyCustoms has much to be proud ofDelReyCustoms has much to be proud ofDelReyCustoms has much to be proud ofDelReyCustoms has much to be proud ofDelReyCustoms has much to be proud ofDelReyCustoms has much to be proud ofDelReyCustoms has much to be proud ofDelReyCustoms has much to be proud ofDelReyCustoms has much to be proud ofDelReyCustoms has much to be proud of
Alpine Head units are iphone 5 direct with USB. Video who knows??? i have a blog on you tube where were tracking it

iphone 5 991

Old 10-26-2012, 06:40 AM
BrianALynch is infamous around these parts
Test confirmed

Today, I received my Lightning to 30-pin adapter .2m length. Works fine and using this instead of the other Apple adapter does not make me take of the phone case. Nice length if you like to sit your phone on the passenger seat. All functionality works on Radio.

Attached Images  
Old 10-26-2012, 01:26 PM
does all that cabling and the phone fit into the center cubby with the lid closed?

Old 10-29-2012, 10:41 PM
For my old-school 2009 single-cable fed system I just purchased a refurb iPod nano 16GB outgoing model with the old dock connector interface. Just over 100 bucks, and with the about 14.5 GB of usable music space I can fit every song I would want in rotation on that one device, so it can just stay in the car and come out every once in a while to refresh the data and get a new playlist added. Then I've still got the 8GB per disk MP3 filled DVD option (3 can be in the car - one in the slot and 2 in the glovebox storage). I'm set for music.... with iDock connector... and this gives me plenty of room in the cubby.. heck the Porsche cable takes up more room than the iPod Nano (6th Gen)

Last edited by Minok; 10-29-2012 at 11:38 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:10 PM
Glassman is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by arash
It definitely only charges when the car is on. The USB is inactive when the PCM is off.

I don't understand why Porsche needs to have a Y-cable. My entire Honda Fit cost less than the interior options on my 911 and it has a simple USB port in the glovebox. Plugged in the cable that came with the iPhone 5 and I'm good to go.

That said, for those of you complaining about the size of the center storage area, what might help the issue somewhat is this adapter:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...-02-m?fnode=48

The benefit here is that there isn't a giant rigid thing extending the length of the already-long phone, as you'd have with the other adapter Apple sells. It also helps a bit with the short length of the Porsche cable, adding ~20cm.

If it weren't for Spotify and Pandora I'd just throw all my music on a USB key and leave that in the car.
Just looked at the pics of your car. Nice ride!

Old 03-29-2013, 09:33 AM
NugeC4S is just really niceNugeC4S is just really niceNugeC4S is just really niceNugeC4S is just really nice
In Conclusion...

Hi Guys --

I traded me 2008 C4S Coupe in yesterday for a fully loaded 2010 C4S Cab. 6K miles fully loaded. I'm STOKED!!

So what's the resolution here - I'm coming off the older unit.

I'm seeing some people say the Lighting Wire Adapter with the Porshe iPod cable DOES work with the audio interface - and some saying it doesn't (?)

I'm just using the aux in the meantime - but will buy the cable if it works w/the adapter.

Is there a final consensus here? Thanks!!

(Pictures to come this weekend when I get my black wheels on her)

Old 03-29-2013, 10:48 AM
ksozay is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Minok
For my old-school 2009 single-cable fed system I just purchased a refurb iPod nano 16GB outgoing model with the old dock connector interface. Just over 100 bucks, and with the about 14.5 GB of usable music space I can fit every song I would want in rotation on that one device, so it can just stay in the car and come out every once in a while to refresh the data and get a new playlist added. Then I've still got the 8GB per disk MP3 filled DVD option (3 can be in the car - one in the slot and 2 in the glovebox storage). I'm set for music.... with iDock connector... and this gives me plenty of room in the cubby.. heck the Porsche cable takes up more room than the iPod Nano (6th Gen)

+1 - I do this too and it works great. Never have to worry about leaving my phone in the car by accident.

Attached Images