997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

A weird new trend I've noticed...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 04:32 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BklynNY
You obviously state your opinion about 20" wheels which is great but to state 18" wheels are ideal is that opinion or scientific? You state the Germans are smarter than that, really? You can get large wheels on all the German luxury brands. The 991 is obviously a 911...likely the fastest ever but they have modern comfort features these days and can be driven daily like a GT...therefore capable of supporting 18,19 and yes 20" wheels...I call that smart and progress....90% of the people who drive these cars have no clue as to what they can do performance wise....no let me take that back...many have a clue 90% can't drive to that performance aspect so they don't need or want 18" wheels...the 991 has gotten so large I think it would look strange with 18"s...anyway just my two cents and the reason why Baskin Robbins makes all of those flavors of ice cream...to each is his own...enjoy with whatever size wheel you choose!
Whatever. Just stating what I like and observed from living in Germany for many years (through 2009). I realize most here have never really pushed their cars and view these cars aesthetically more so than for the driving character. I'm mostly interested in the latter.

Wheels are probably the #1 mod as so many want to personalize their car. As you say, to each their own and I'm perfectly happy with that. Owner prerogative, pure and simple. I have my preferences but since I don't have a choice of wheel size with a 997S or 991S it does not matter. I'm not going to buy aftermarket wheels ever again as IMO they are a waste of money and often change driving character negatively. I did once buy a set of BBS wheels when I lived in Germany (18" of course). Nice to look at. Harder to clean and I was always concerned about damaging them. Never again.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:11 PM
Sven has a spectacular aura aboutSven has a spectacular aura about
I think its just human nature -- and a trait that evolution has selected for -- to experience mild dissatisfaction with the status quo, however good it may be, and look for ways to make improvements, whether it be to a car, house, job, etc.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:40 PM
Dr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Steve997S
I prefer functional mods which don't take away from the purity of the brand. I like the OEM look, which is classic and understated as it should be. My only disappointment with the 991 is 20 inch wheels. That's a market/trend cave in. Germans are smarter than that. 18" is the ideal wheel size for all aspects of performance.
I agree. One of the reasons I didn't order a new C2S is the standard 20" wheels - and the fact that 18" ones won't fit. 18" tires cost less, there are more choices for tires (including R-comps and slicks), and handling seems better to me. I'll stick with my mid-engine sports cars for now.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:22 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
It is not a new trend, this has been going on since I started modding back in the early 90's. From Acura forums to Yugo forums. Modding is fun and it's a hobby. I don't think anyone do it thinking they are going to get anything in return.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:19 PM
sixgun95 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JoelPirela
We all love our cars. Some people keep the stock and try not to put so many miles while others spend lots of money into making this cars a unique piece that reflects the owner's taste.
I use some of those owners mods as reference for my own and sometimes I've inspired others to make the changes. I love it. The sharing, the modding!

Now, in few weeks I notices that some of my inspiration guys are selling their rides... after spending LOTS of money into making them unique... and lets face it. This is not money they are going to see a return at the time of sale. SOme of the motivation for the sale is to move up to a GT3 or a Turbo, which I understand while others may be that the car wasn't for them from the beginning... to that part, why invest so much TLC and DIY maintenance and mods?

Here are great examples of people who did amazing things to their car, only to be done with the mods and decide to sell....

Equinox:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...l-equinox.html

GTRR:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-makeover.html

Djork:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...hotoshoot.html

Justatoy:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ics-today.html

I know they have their reasons and I encourage them to do so for a big upgrade but it really breaks my heart so see a lot of dedication and love put into a car only to be sold at the end. I feel bad that I couldn't pick up a car from them instead of buying my stock black 997 from a dealer in Tampa...
What rims are on the black cabriolet? They look awesome.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:50 PM
gonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond repute
I went all-out on my E46 M3 'Vert and went through many renditions and lots of money, but I enjoyed the journey. I kept it for 6 years and only sold it given I wanted a 997. I went to the M3 due to a really bad experience with a 996, loved the 911SC before that - highly modified. Like one or a few here, I thought after the M3 I'd never go the modding route again - WRONG! It's a passion for those who do it. I love the 997 and while I'd love to have a GT3 or a Turbo, I figure sooner or later I'll mod mine to the equivalent in terms of performance - or let's just say power, and in terms of the GT3, looks. This one is a keeper for quite a while at least.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:19 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sixgun95
What rims are on the black cabriolet? They look awesome.
They are DPE wheels...here is a thread on them!

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...es-wheels.html

Cheers,

Stacy

Old 09-18-2012, 02:19 AM
memo555 is infamous around these parts
I never even owned a car without any modifications.. not that I can remember.

One would think I would get wise over time and buy better cars and not need to modify. Now that I got that better car, I want to modify it more than any previous ones I owned

Old 09-18-2012, 07:17 AM
Location: Waltham, MA/Southport,CT/Vero Beach, FL/Grosse Pointe, MI
steve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to all
I do it because I enjoy it....it's fun to go through the process of modding, and it makes the car more fun to drive. Yes, it's technically incredibly stupid to put money into the car in the form of modifications, but shouldn't you spend money on the things you enjoy doing? Just my .02

Old 09-18-2012, 08:57 AM
Boosted Josh is infamous around these parts
I agree that it is just part of the hobby for some of us. I enjoy driving but I also enjoy researching mods and just the process of messing with things, and I'll admit sometimes to the point of not being able to leave well enough alone.

In the last 6 months I did the aerokit bumper, OZ wheels, LED tails, GT3 shift ****, leather center console cover, and clear corner markers. When I decided that that was enough messing with 911 for the moment I somehow ended up doing a full stereo system in my old E55. I just finished that up this weekend and now I'm thinking about what's the next project.

I also suffer from Automobile ADD as do many others it would seem. There is just a desire for something different. The strange thing is it's not necessarily a desire for something "better" just different. (My wife better be glad this condition of mine is limited to cars and motorcycles LOL)

Old 09-18-2012, 09:44 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Boosted Josh
I agree that it is just part of the hobby for some of us. I enjoy driving but I also enjoy researching mods and just the process of messing with things, and I'll admit sometimes to the point of not being able to leave well enough alone.

In the last 6 months I did the aerokit bumper, OZ wheels, LED tails, GT3 shift ****, leather center console cover, and clear corner markers. When I decided that that was enough messing with 911 for the moment I somehow ended up doing a full stereo system in my old E55. I just finished that up this weekend and now I'm thinking about what's the next project.

I also suffer from Automobile ADD as do many others it would seem. There is just a desire for something different. The strange thing is it's not necessarily a desire for something "better" just different. (My wife better be glad this condition of mine is limited to cars and motorcycles LOL)
At least you are spending your money on cars. I know a lot of people that hold every penny only to lose thousands on gambling. I think it is sad. They don't spend their money on anything but will fly out to Las Vegas and lose thousands in a weekend. At least we can enjoy our mods and have something to show for it. That is how I look at mods.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:24 AM
911CSLover is infamous around these parts911CSLover is infamous around these parts
I didn't know Equinox sold his ride! I thought I was up to date on this board but I guess not... After all that work too! Well I can only hope he made a few bucks on the deal as he didn't really "mod" his. He repaired it.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:27 AM
Boosted Josh is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Ynot
At least you are spending your money on cars. I know a lot of people that hold every penny only to lose thousands on gambling. I think it is sad. They don't spend their money on anything but will fly out to Las Vegas and lose thousands in a weekend. At least we can enjoy our mods and have something to show for it. That is how I look at mods.

No doubt. There are far worse vices than modding. Gambling, drugs, hookers/blow

Old 10-17-2012, 07:09 PM
spoddle is a jewel in the roughspoddle is a jewel in the roughspoddle is a jewel in the rough
I can't agree more... tire noise and the rattles which have crept into my car have me made me consider selling.

Originally Posted by dallascajun
And I love to drive it...but I can't stand hearing nothing but the road & tire noise. The PSE with Sharkwerks Bypass sounds great: for everyone else. Even with new tires, the 997 throws a ton of road noise into the cabin.

And all the plastic bits in the car have started to loosen up and rattle entertain me with some random rattles (depending on road surface, etc).

Old 10-17-2012, 08:12 PM
oadams is infamous around these parts
I prefer the natural look but the more I see these modes the more I am considering adding the "porsche" strip to the bottom of the doors (there is a name for it but I can't remember) and putting on the black wheels - they look great. As for the noise and wear of driving, when I need a break I just drive my 4runner and then after 15 minutes find out I can't wait to get back into my 997S convertible.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: A weird new trend I've noticed...