997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

A weird new trend I've noticed...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 09:31 PM
rsalicrup is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by justatoy

Here goes,
.....in my case,I enjoy modifying the cars WAAAAYYYY more than driving them.Do not get me wrong....I did enjoy driving it occasionally and managed to put the most miles on my car while tweaking the supercharger....but I guess that was part of the modifying aspect!
I thought I was the only one that enjoyed doing this. My wife, family and friends think I'm crazy and retarded for doing this. Just like you, modding/wrenching on a car is actually relaxing and rewarding. Yes, we might get frustrated in the process but at the end the feeling of accomplishment is rewarding.

My last car (my 4th 1993 RX-7) was about the only one that I regretted selling... to a point. I was mad when I saw it being driven away. There was a lot of DIY into that car.

Now, I'm looking for my next car but my wife told me that I can not sell it. So she wants me to make sure it is something that will stick. I'm looking very carefully.

BTW OP, it isn't a new trend. I have been doing it since 1998.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:42 AM
Tcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Sven
I think its just human nature -- and a trait that evolution has selected for -- to experience mild dissatisfaction with the status quo, however good it may be, and look for ways to make improvements, whether it be to a car, house, job, etc.
Since you brought it up, it's not likely evolutionary insofar as humans are concerned. What population of females, over the past 20,000 years would favor a genotypic trait, direct or ancillary/linked, in a male that would lead to dissatisfaction with the status quo - particularly when that status quo was them in a patriarchal culture? Evolution, be it either in a Porsche design or in flora and fauna is not straightforward - but yours is good guess!

More likely, our big brains need input/diversions and mod'ing is a fun distraction.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:12 PM
AP1to911 is just really niceAP1to911 is just really niceAP1to911 is just really niceAP1to911 is just really nice
Originally Posted by Boosted Josh

I also suffer from Automobile ADD as do many others it would seem. There is just a desire for something different. The strange thing is it's not necessarily a desire for something "better" just different. (My wife better be glad this condition of mine is limited to cars and motorcycles LOL)

the desire for something "different" Must be "better" also in my book.

never replace a stock part unless you're replacing it with something of higher Quality !

this is my motto when building cars.